Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just curious, Has anyone done this before? My teacher was saying to me that I am the only person they have seen in their Teaching Career who moved from Maths to Further Maths(After five months of starting college).

I will be doing 4-5 exams just for maths.

ReputationRep:
    A friend in my class dropped English Language for Further Maths halfway through year 12. He is having to do FP3 instead of D1 (his choice) because he missed this module which we sat in January. He is one of the most talented mathematicians in my class so he's not having too much trouble having switched subjects so late.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I think the beauty of maths (and FM) at A-level is that it really is reflective of one's raw ability! What I mean to say is, picking up further maths at this point in the year is no problem at all as long as you are prepared to sit down and do a fair bit of practice to get up to scratch. If you had tried to do the same with a subject like English then I would say that you may have struggled as this requires greater delivery of content and a larger time to absorb things but it's definitely do-able with further maths! (I had 4 exams each myself in Jan and June last year for maths)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doivid)
    A friend in my class dropped English Language for Further Maths halfway through year 12. He is having to do FP3 instead of D1 (his choice) because he missed this module which we sat in January. He is one of the most talented mathematicians in my class so he's not having too much trouble having switched subjects so late.
    Atleast, Found someone who's doing that. My tutor was just scaring me then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n_251)
    I think the beauty of maths (and FM) at A-level is that it really is reflective of one's raw ability! What I mean to say is, picking up further maths at this point in the year is no problem at all as long as you are prepared to sit down and do a fair bit of practice to get up to scratch. If you had tried to do the same with a subject like English then I would say that you may have struggled as this requires greater delivery of content and a larger time to absorb things but it's definitely do-able with further maths! (I had 4 exams each myself in Jan and June last year for maths)
    Totally agree with u.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you should be alright, but why have you suddenly opted to do F.Maths now? Any particular reason:yep: Have you got the time to come to TSR, and inform us, rather than do maths.:p:
    You'll create a history at your college!(If you get your high grades)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jit987)
    Yes, you should be alright, but why have you suddenly opted to do F.Maths now? Any particular reason:yep: Have you got the time to come to TSR, and inform us, rather than do maths.:p:
    You'll create a history at your college!(If you get your high grades)
    ye! I have got plenty of time.

ReputationRep:
    Somebody in my year picked up Further Maths around about this time when I was in year 12. I think she ended getting an A in the end.

ReputationRep:
    It's always good to do a bit whenever possible
    Self-teaching S1 atm, will be starting Further Maths next year, dropping Psycho (and Critters).

further maths is harder than michael jackson at a nursery

im doing further maths

i have a load of maths exams in summer, c3 c4 s3 m1 fp2 fp3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasbirsingh)
    Just curious, Has anyone done this before? My teacher was saying to me that I am the only person they have seen in their Teaching Career who moved from Maths to Further Maths(After five months of starting college).

I will be doing 4-5 exams just for maths.
    I don't know what that means.

have you done all 6 "single maths" already? or decided to take further maths as well? or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SouthernFreerider)
    I don't know what that means.

have you done all 6 "single maths" already? or decided to take further maths as well? or what?
    I have just done C1, I will be doing C2, C3, C4 and M1 in June

and S1 along with other Further Maths Modules.

ReputationRep:
    I have just done C1, I will be doing C2, C3, C4 and M1 in June

and S1 along with other Further Maths Modules.
    then I think its strange your teachers have never seen this before.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get why people teach further maths and normal maths at the same time. I did my full maths A2 last year and I'm doing the full further maths A2 this year. Much simplier. Plus you had the option of dropping further maths this year so you did you full maths A2 in one year. This wasn't really encourage though.

Only really tricky paper is fp2. All the other modules I'm sitting seem fine, (fp1, fp3, m2, m3 and s2)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neomilan)
    further maths is harder than michael jackson at a nursery

im doing further maths

i have a load of maths exams in summer, c3 c4 s3 m1 fp2 fp3
    same here exception being that instead of s3 i got fp1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SouthernFreerider)
    then I think its strange your teachers have never seen this before.
    I don't get u. Can you please explain...

I think you misunderstood you, probably I didn't explain it properly. I mean that first I was just doing A Level Maths(2 years). I did C1 exam in January and while people who are doing further maths did C1, C2 and S1. So, this year I will be doing normal maths and next year further maths(+S1 to finish my normal A level maths).

ReputationRep:
    I don't get u. Can you please explain...

I think you misunderstood you, probably I didn't explain it properly. I mean that first I was just doing A Level Maths(2 years). I did C1 exam in January and while people who are doing further maths did C1, C2 and S1. So, this year I will be doing normal maths and next year further maths(+S1 to finish my normal A level maths).
    How come you doing S1 next year, why not this summer-so you could get your A-levelmaths this year.
    I've got a feeling you might need to re-take 1 maths unit next year.(most likely C4)

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.