Turn on thread page Beta
    Offline

    18
    ReputationRep:
    One thing that may be worth checking is that you are sure you met all the non academic criteria for soton and UEA. They were still rejecting lots of people without interview (I am a BM6er myself) but I guess that is worth doing if you were considering reapplying.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    iv'e had people telling me that i can accept my two top choices and then if i see that i got decent grades that i simply don't go to them and reaply... what i think they are saying is that they can't make you go where you accept, so using this i thought maybe i should accept the queen mary's, st.georges offers for now, and then depending on what i get in the real exams il see if it's worth reapplying or not.
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    OP, I think you should apply again for next year.

    ONLY do a biomedical science degree if you really have no other option. Seriously, it sounds easier that it actually is. Also, *do not* do a biomedical science degree at a university which offers you the chance to transfer, purely because of that reason. It is really difficult, and not a realistic expectation to achieve. E.g. at St Georges, from a pool of 130 students, 15 finally got interviews, with only 4 getting a place to transfer. I'm sure you can work the odds out yourself.

    If you do decide biomed is the way forward then go for it. For me personally it’s been an amazing experience, one which I wouldn’t change. The reality of it is that its stressful, your constantly worrying about your grades (and if they will be good enough for med school after) and this *may* affect your participation in university life, but once again this varies between individuals.

    Just make sure its a decision your happy with, because you will be doing it for the next 3 years. Good luck with whatever you decide!
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    One thing that may be worth checking is that you are sure you met all the non academic criteria for soton and UEA. They were still rejecting lots of people without interview (I am a BM6er myself) but I guess that is worth doing if you were considering reapplying.
    yeah, i was thinking this may have been a huge flaw in my app, i had no strong specific work experience even though i tried very hard for over a year. at the moment im volunteering at a respiratory ward for 6 months and my dads employers have connections with a private hospital "harley street clinic" which would definatly strengthen my app. my ucas advisor in school told me however that im not the only case with work experience difficulties concerning medicine and that uni's understand it.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ernestas)
    well i think reapplying next year would help alot in terms of improvements that can be made in my application, ps and ukcat (i got 615 avrg), the thing is im scared il get all rejections again, especially being an IB student i don't really know if i stand a change with around 34 points, maybe upto 36 if it goes well, some uni's only want say 32 points but ive had friends with 39 predicted and getting rejected for uni's wanting 34 even though there ps looks amazing. oh and does anyone know if it is possible to accept the two top choices before may 4th and then depending on my actual results to make the decision wheather to reapply or not?

    I know how you feel about the IB thing, I don't think (as an IB student, neither do my teachers or friends) that the IB is given enough credit... I'm not sure the unis actually realise how much work it is, with the whole CAS/EE/TOK thing as well as having 6 subjects... I think it's just that some unis don't recognise IB as much. I've heard that Scottish unis like the IB a lot because it's more similar to highers, although you may want to check up on that, so that might be an option. Otherwise, ring unis up and check how they feel about the IB or how they use it, and ask about grades/predicted grades that their typical applicants have.

    Good luck!
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    If you didn't want to do anything other than medicine, why then waste two medicine places for a course you don't even want to do?
    Offline

    18
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ernestas)
    yeah, i was thinking this may have been a huge flaw in my app, i had no strong specific work experience even though i tried very hard for over a year. at the moment im volunteering at a respiratory ward for 6 months and my dads employers have connections with a private hospital "harley street clinic" which would definatly strengthen my app. my ucas advisor in school told me however that im not the only case with work experience difficulties concerning medicine and that uni's understand it.
    Thats good, something to work on. As well as all of that, did ar eyou the first in your family to go to uni/receive EMA/live in a certain postcode etc? Because they will screen that stuff prety quickly and if they don'tmatch up then you'd be rejected on those grounds too.
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazy_smurf)
    But, for example, if you only hold a biomedical science offer, you'll have to either accept or reject it before results day. then what? and is it not regarded as being easier to get in with your grades in hand?
    could OP not accept biomed now and they if they get AAA just cancel their offer and call it a change in circumstances???
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    could OP not accept biomed now and they if they get AAA just cancel their offer and call it a change in circumstances???
    umm i'm not really sure to be honest thats why i was asking :o: Technically you agree to a conditional contract when you accept the offer so you "can't" cancel, though in effect the uni aren't exactly going to sue you for not coming to their uni :lol: so i suppose what your saying is right :p:
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazy_smurf)
    umm i'm not really sure to be honest thats why i was asking :o: Technically you agree to a conditional contract when you accept the offer so you "can't" cancel, though in effect the uni aren't exactly going to sue you for not coming to their uni :lol: so i suppose what your saying is right :p:
    look into this op because im sure the 'contract' is very weak standing and unis are happy to give your place to someone else through clearing.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    right, ive been through this myself. on my first application to medicine i got 4 straight rejections without interview and had an offer to do biochem at imperial as my firm. I withdrew from this after results day and although they were pissed, they couldn't do anything about it. they cant force you to go to uni. OP, you really need to take time to think about this. you would be reapplying to the same 2 foundation courses that have rejected you in the past. if they've done it once before what is stopping them doing it again? these 6 year courses are particularly attractive because of the low requirements and competition increases year on year. if you look on the bm6 thread you'll see that a fair few of the interviewees have 3 A* predictions - AAB and there aren't that many around with the lower grades. obviously the internet is not representative but grades may be something to think about. although the 6 courses claim to require lower grades it really is only a benchmark. unless you can identify a SERIOUS flaw i wouldn't bother with reapplying to them. you could end up in this position next year - how would that make you feel?
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    could OP not accept biomed now and they if they get AAA just cancel their offer and call it a change in circumstances???
    yes they could do that - i did it
    Offline

    12
    ReputationRep:
    If you've got your heart set on medicine, assess your application and work our your weaknesses, take out a year to improve upon them and reapply - I know it's a big decision to do but don't get discouraged thinking gap year is time-wasting, because with good plans, it can be one of the most productive, invaluable years you'll ever have. =]
    I don't want to sound harsh but however, if you got anything less than the equivalent of AAB at A-level(sorry, don't know much about the IB.XD) - it's best to just go for the biomed degree because
    unis are increasing getting picky with them(including BMAT/UKCAT) and they no doubt play huge part in determining whether your applicatino will get passed over the first hurdle or not(e.g.Bham..8A* requirement..hmmm).

    If you're not entirely sure doing medicine is definitely what you want to do, then go for the biomed degree, come out and reapply for medicine - it's better to concentrate on what want to do for a few years, take the time also to work out your main motivations for medicine and then decide whether to apply for it or not.
    It's really not a good idea to drag yourself onto this route for being a doctor if you're not entirely sure about it.

    I personally am following the latter route - science degree first and then decide whether medicine will be the best choice for me or not.^_^ I used to be pretty sure that I want to do medicine but decided not to and the main reasons were...
    ---the lack of work experience(similar to you, tried my best for a year to find some but couldn't get any except for 1 week of shadowing) and honestly even during this shadowing, I don't think I've learnt "that" much. I can get a bit superstitious about this and sort of taken this as a hint that undergrad medicine is probably not for me.xD
    ---not knowing much about the health system (though I've learnt a lot through medicine related courses and books I've read recently).
    ---indecisiveness: I know I'll definitely enjoy a science degree, but wasn't entirely sure whether medicine will definitely suit me(I tend to enjoy the theory side fo things more). I had a few career discussions with a few teachers, medical staff before and although they said my motivations is genuine and good, I still, don't feel if it'll be the right choice - I just didn't want to plunge ymself into this demanding career without understanding and being totally sure first.
    I had nothing wrong with my academia btw(although i wouldn't say they're flawless and etc.xD) but I just feel doing a science degree might be the best thing to do. I don't know if it's the best decision but at least I know it's a decision i shouldn't really regret upon.
    ---time: I have many serious committments and I know this may sound a bit selfish but I'm not willing to sacrifice them yet - I want to see how far I can get with them and improve.

    Anyways, I hope this will be some kind of help to you and good luck on your decision! =]
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    OP, accept your offers, do as well as you can in ur IB. Continue to sort out and organise work experience for yourself.

    If you attain 36 or more with atleast 6 6 in Biology
    & Chemistry, then withdraw and reapply. You will have all summer to prepare.

    If you don't, I suggest you seriously consider these biomed places. Considering you do well in the degree, these can act as a subsitute for your IB grade.

    Use 'Dilipd' as your motivation - don't give up.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Thats good, something to work on. As well as all of that, did ar eyou the first in your family to go to uni/receive EMA/live in a certain postcode etc? Because they will screen that stuff prety quickly and if they don'tmatch up then you'd be rejected on those grounds too.
    i applied on the basis that my parent got no uni edu, and i recieve the full sum of ema (Student finance)
 
 
 

University open days

  1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.