Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The end of the line? Question about student loan entitlement watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok, having finally found something sensible to study (after 1 failed attempt aged 20, and a second one begun in september last year aged 22 that I'm about to bail on) I think I may be unable to afford to pay for it.

The course I want to study is Psychology with Spanish at Buckingham, a 2 year BSc Hons, (3 years packed into 2), not realising until just now that it costs roughly about the same as an ordinary 3 year degree. I have paid for 4 terms in total, that aside from helping me work out what not to do, have been a complete waste of time and finance. That is, 4 terms' worth assuming that all tuition fees for the entire academic year are not paid to the university at the beginning of the year.

My question, if anyone would be able/ kind enough to hazard a stab at the answer is How much am I now entitled to from the student loans company?

I think I remember being told last time I dropped out that I was enititled to a total of 4 years' worth overall, or 12 terms - right? Am I therefore entitled to another 8 terms worth, i.e. 12-4? And how much would that equate to? Or have I gone wrong somewhere?

Perhaps this is a question for the SLC themselves...

I really thank any helpful souls in advance who can give me some advice on this

ReputationRep:
    No it is
    length of new course + 1 year - years already had
    which from what you put above looks like
    2 + 1 - 2 = 1 years finance (and that is the second year not the first which will be funded)

ReputationRep:
    Damn. Thanks. Are you sure? It is equivalent to a 3 year course - same price, same qualification (and therefore value) etc. I wonder if that makes a difference.

Well if that is the case, and I am only entitled to the 2nd year, does anyone know of any alternative sources of funding? I am a mature student now - are there loans specifically for mature students who want to get back into education that I might be eligible for? And if it wouldn't cover the whole cost of the course could one be granted in conjunction with an ordinary student loan...?

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely not want to get a bank loan for 15000 or so, which is what it would be.

What about a grant from the government? ...with my track record of chopping and changing they might be a little reluctant.

I'm feeling really frustrated that I now know what I want to do but probably can't actually afford to
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    You're best talking straight to student finance and see what they can do. Emailing the university is also an option. If it's impossible, you'll have to take a year out and save up.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have emailed the university. Generally the SLC are unhelpful in my experience but I'll call them later.

Thanks but saving up is not really an option. Earning enough money to cover a year (which equates to a year and a half under ordinary circumstances) would not really be possible. And I'm getting older and really wanted to get an undergraduate degree by the time I'm 25 rather than any later.

ReputationRep:
    Would it be at all possible to do the degree part-time, and work alongside it? That way, although you'd still have to rely on loans or something, you wouldn't be so heavily dependent on it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I considered that, but again it's the issue of it taking longer than I want to get a degree.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    It might be your only choice. Money can't be magicked from nowhere and your funding will run out soon.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah of course but it might not be my only choice. If it is then I'm better off not doing it at all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure whether you have had your query resolved, however. The previous study rule shown above is correct. You would be entitled to full funding in your 2nd year. In your first year you WILL be entitled to maintenance loan and supplementary grants (this is not the maintenance grant).

Supplementary grants are: Child-care, Adult dependents grant, parent learning allowance & disabled student allowance.

This means you are only not entitled to tuition fee loan and maintenance grant. although if you have what is called 'compelling personal reasons' for leaving your course (illness, pregnancy etc.) and you have proof of this you may be able to gain full funding for the first year if you could provide evidence of this to SFE (this may not apply).

The only other place to gain funding from is Career Development Loans. Although this is run through the high street banks.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    CDLs aren't available for undergraduate first degree courses.
    see
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ns/DG_10033237

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.