Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonjon123)
    The man that abused us and tortured us, while building our economy and putting a stop to backward cultures.
    And here people, we have an ape. Its funny, the information is at your fingertips yet you choose to remain ignorant. The ingrained stupidity of the human condition is just breathtaking in some. The BBC even did a four/five part documentary detailing various kingdoms and empires within the sub-saharan region yet you still choose to remain blind. I really do feel that in this changing and ever developing world, the likes of you will truly have no hope.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, in some ways I agree with you. I mean the Africans do not look economical in anyway. I mean even the Latino are starting to make progress and Asia is ahead of them and Africa only progress is south Africa and the rich part of south Africa and that not no where near the heart of Africa.
    Oh jeez! :no:

ReputationRep:
    Okay, then let me rephrase the "black" Africans.
    i am talking about black africans you absolute noob.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    And here people, we have an ape. Its funny, the information is at your fingertips yet you choose to remain ignorant. The ingrained stupidity of the human condition is just breathtaking in some. The BBC even did a four/five part documentary detailing various kingdoms and empires within the sub-saharan region yet you still choose to remain blind. I really do feel that in this changing and ever developing world, the likes of you will truly have no hope.
    :clap2: i sincerely wish that we could shake hands for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Maybe that's because after exploiting each other, the Africans suddenly found themselves being badly exploited by other nations. So while Europeans exploited each other, they were then left to sort things out. If people of a different race suddenly came and took loads of people away from Europe to other continents, killing many of them in the process, they would have struggled too.
    Yes, Africans kept slaves of their own race, but I think being slaves of other people (and 'having' to sell off your slaves to avoid the risk of being a slave yourself) did a hell of a lot of damage.

I dunno if that made any sense by the way!

Anyway, I get the feeling you (like me) need to do a lot of reading and research.
    Rubbish, African were capturing those of rival factions for yonks, it was ingrained in the culture. Do some ******* research, there was no goddamn "fear" of being captured himself, dont make out as if Africans were only victims in the trans atlantic slave trade. Many warlords were colluding with Europeans in the capture of fellow Africans.

Does this justify the act of entering numerous lands, pillaging and stealing resources? No, in fact anyone who tells you the colonization of Africa brought with it civilization is an ignorant racist bigot of the highest caliber, however let's not pretend as if this was entirely a one way street. Besides I hate it when slavery is brought up, nothing more than a historical throwback and general distraction to the sins of today. Trade disparity, economic exclusion, exploitation and protectionism are far bigger issues than the "repercussions of slavery" (whatever the **** that means) and are a greater impediment in the overall economic development of the region. The game has changed, Europe is no longer the sole industrial powerhouse, many African nations are switching economic allegiances, aligning themselves with the east. The next 20 years will be very insightful in seeing the direction developing African nations choose to take in regards to social development as globalization moves onto the final piece of the puzzle.

ReputationRep:
    T . I . A!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciawhobat)
    Genetics, imho.
    Any evidence for this claim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nex Angelus)
    T . I . A!!!!!!!!!!!!

film sucked balls :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    Rubbish, African were capturing those of rival factions for yonks, it was ingrained in the culture. Do some ******* research, there was no goddamn "fear" of being captured himself, dont make out as if Africans were only victims in the trans atlantic slave trade. Many warlords were colluding with Europeans in the capture of fellow Africans.
    Eh? I never said they weren't. :lolwut: But they took slaves of their own race (I assume that's what the OP meant by 'FFS, we used to exploit our own people, who does that?'). That's why I explained that other races also made slaves of their own people.
    The point I was making, was that having people of a different race coming along and taking your people/your slaves as their slaves, off to far away continents on transport like you've never seen before threatening with weapons you have never seen before must have made a massive difference. Yes many warlords were colluding with Europeans, I'm asking, what do you think the alternative was? What would have happened if they had said no? Would it have ended well for them?
    And as for the damage, what do you think happened afterwards? The Africans suddenly decided that they wouldn't bother with slaves anymore? Or they decided to replace their slaves because they were used to having them, or even more tellingly, they decide to go to battle and capture more slaves (within their own race and country even) to ensure that they keep the upper hand and have people to trade if/when the fancy White man comes back?

And like I said, I'm well aware that I need to do a lot more research. I keep putting it off which is silly really as I am interested.

ReputationRep:
    film sucked balls :pierre:
    now now, calm down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nex Angelus)
    now now, calm down.
    But it did. Dicaprio and Honsou were brilliant, per usual. But overall, it was cheap, poorly researched liberal hogwash.

ReputationRep:
    Eh? I never said they weren't. :lolwut: But they took slaves of their own race (I assume that's what the OP meant by 'FFS, we used to exploit our own people, who does that?'). That's why I explained that other races also made slaves of their own people.
    The point I was making, was that having people of a different race coming along and taking your people/your slaves as their slaves, off to far away continents on transport like you've never seen before threatening with weapons you have never seen before must have made a massive difference. Yes many warlords were colluding with Europeans, I'm asking, what do you think the alternative was? What would have happened if they had said no? Would it have ended well for them?
    And as for the damage, what do you think happened afterwards? The Africans suddenly decided that they wouldn't bother with slaves anymore? Or they decided to replace their slaves because they were used to having them, or even more tellingly, they decide to go to battle and capture more slaves (within their own race and country even) to ensure that they keep the upper hand and have people to trade if/when the fancy White man comes back?

And like I said, I'm well aware that I need to do a lot more research. I keep putting it off which is silly really as I am interested.
    I wouldn't disagree with him, the guy is a ******* beast. He'd actually eat you as a MRP. :woo:

ReputationRep:

Within the last 200 years, Africa was not the only racial group to undergo intense and systematic physical repression. Yes, it may have been incredibly harsh but its still besides the point. The lack of protectionist methods, like those employed by the 20th centuries emerging nations of the east such as Japan and Singapore, has been far more damaging than any European slave trader. Even it the damage was considerable, what the hell does anyone do about it? Reparations do not work, even if they did, how is it allocated? More aid? No, Africa has had enough of that over the last thirty years.

Many African nations need a complete rethink into their handling of resources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YL_LDN)
    I wouldn't disagree with him, the guy is a ******* beast. He'd actually eat you as a MRP. :woo:
    Dont tempt me :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciawhobat)
    Genetics, imho.
    Care to actually explain that blind prejudice?

It has nothing to do with race. If white people had been in Africa and Black people in Europe, we would be the ones who had fallen behind. There are a whole host of reasons why caucasians rose to prominence, most of them based on the climate and environment in Europe.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns,_Germs,_and_Steel

Sub-Saharan Africans had access to mostly wild mammals, whereas Eurasians had access to the most docile animals on the planet: horses and camels that are easily tamed for human transportation; goats and sheep for hides, clothing, and cheese; cows for milk; bullocks for tilling fields and transportation; and benign animals such as pigs and chickens. Africans, through geographic happenstance, had to deal with lions, leopards, etc. So Eurasia was the beneficiary of geographic, climatic, and environmental happenstance that favored them
    Eurasia's other big advantage is that its mainly East-West axis provides a huge area with similar latitudes and therefore climates. As a result, it was far easier for migrating Eurasian populations to use in new areas, the plants and animals to which they had become accustomed.
    Europe's many natural barriers allowed the development of many competing nation-states. Such competition forced the European nations to encourage innovation and avoid technological stagnation
    Once these factors enabled us to get ahead, it was easy to stay ahead, especially as we colonised and enslaved other countries. It had nothing to do with race though, and still doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    This comment was equally as apish.

ReputationRep:
    Within the last 200 years, Africa was not the only racial group to undergo intense and systematic physical repression. Yes, it may have been incredibly harsh but its still besides the point. The lack of protectionist methods, like those employed by the 20th centuries emerging nations of the east such as Japan and Singapore, has been far more damaging than any European slave trader. Even it the damage was considerable, what the hell does anyone do about it? Reparations do not work, even if they did, how is it allocated? More aid? No, Africa has had enough of that over the last thirty years.

Many African nations need a complete rethink into their handling of resources.
    Yes. I'm not entirely sure what's going on here. We're not actually arguing are we? Anyway, keep talking. I love to learn, especially about Africa as I'm woefully ignorant (well, compared to what I'd like to be). Could you start by explaining what you mean by protectionist methods? You can PM me if it's long.
    Also, in a previous post, you mentioned something about a BBC series about Africa that was on: a link would be simply marvelous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YL_LDN)
    I wouldn't disagree with him, the guy is a ******* beast. He'd actually eat you as a MRP.
    I don't think we were disagreeing! What's an MRP?! Should I be worried? Is it safe to turn the lights off? :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by near_comatose)
    This comment was equally as apish.
    Care to explain? The british library has a wealth of texts in regards to the various examples of social development within the continent, the BBCs documentary was a great insight for those who are not informed as is still available on the iPlayer. Why should I tolerate one choosing to remain ignorant about the historical goings on of an entire continent? More and more each day I begin to truly despise the user base of this forum.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think we were disagreeing! What's an MRP?! Should I be worried? Is it safe to turn the lights off? :woo:
    Meal.replacement.powder :yep: .

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.