Turn on thread page Beta

How detrimental is a lack of A level biology to applications for Medicine? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I was wondering - most medical schools state that Chemistry is a firm requirement for their courses but Biology is listed in the "Extras" section. However, does a lack of biology really make a difference? Say for someone like myself, who studies Maths, F.Maths, Chemistry, Physics and German, could this possibly affect any application at all?

Many thanks!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Your application, unless the specifically want it at AS or A2, then no

But learning A Level biology is a good starting point for learning Medical/human Biology.

ReputationRep:
    From my experience (I had no biology) it does not matter where it isn't explicitly specified. It's unlikely to come up at interview, the exception being Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, most people have it, but a fair number of my course don't so I guess it didn't make a massive difference. I mean it would certainly be helpful in the long run, and would probably be a good A-level to choose for medicine, but you wont be rejected for it if it's not in the requirements.

ReputationRep:
    I should imagine that it would dent your chances at most med schools and I think most of them at least want you to take both Bio and Chem at AS-level.

ReputationRep:
    it may hinder you slightly...and bar you from those that explicitly want it, however, as long as you get the grades, you should be fine...it may come up in interview, why didn't u do bio, otherwise its cool

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really sure why someone who wanted to pursure medicine wouldn't want to do biology...that's just me though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    I'm not really sure why someone who wanted to pursure medicine wouldn't want to do biology...that's just me though.
    Plenty of possible reasons, especially if they are doing the IB since you can't have 3 sciences. Between physics and biology many find physics, including me, way more fun.

Lots of people only research unis after having chosen their A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    Plenty of possible reasons, especially if they are doing the IB since you can't have 3 sciences. Between physics and biology many find physics, including me, way more fun.

Lots of people only research unis after having chosen their A-levels.
    Oh right, I see. I'm on the other end of the scale, I can't stand physics I love human biology though...I good with facts! Facts are good :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    Your application, unless the specifically want it at AS or A2, then no

But learning A Level biology is a good starting point for learning Medical/human Biology.
    I'd disagree. Unless you take human bio, there's naff all in standard.

Bit of lungs, bit of heart, bit of circulatory system and a bit of waste systems.

Waste to spend two years learning about plants, farming, fermentation and all the other useless crap you need to know.

Personally, I took it to AS. WJEC had jiggled the course around and pretty much everything that was to do with the human body was in AS. Then I dropped it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    Hello,

I was wondering - most medical schools state that Chemistry is a firm requirement for their courses but Biology is listed in the "Extras" section. However, does a lack of biology really make a difference? Say for someone like myself, who studies Maths, F.Maths, Chemistry, Physics and German, could this possibly affect any application at all?

Many thanks!
    an excellent PS+excellent grade in your four subject+an interest in medicine will get you in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    Because some people who want to do medicine don't give a toss about plants?

That's a bit like saying that you're not really sure why someone who wanted to pursure medicine wouldn't want to do physics, because there's a tiny portion on imaging that would prove relevant to a medical course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)

Idiot.
    Now you are a mod you will have to act with more diplomacy even if what you are saying is patently true. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Because some people who want to do medicine don't give a toss about plants?

Idiot.
    I don't understand. Explain why this is not so? are you saying further maths is useless in medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    Now you are a mod you will have to act with more diplomacy even if what you are saying is patently true. :p:
    Exactly. I don't like how some mod acts as though they have the right to insult other people without giving any reason.

ReputationRep:
    theres a couple of people here without biology, didnt hinder their applications much, although they apparantly found their first term harder than everyone else, as they didnt have some of the underlying knowledge

ReputationRep:
    From expereince here admission wont be an issue, you will have a slightly harder first term then those who have done bio as they will have already come into contact with the stuff but that is minor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    I don't understand. Explain why this is not so? are you saying further maths is useless in medicine?
    I'm saying that nobody has an 80% chance of getting an offer in medicine, especially not based purely on their academics.

(Original post by Ataloss)
    Just stating objective facts, tbh. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm saying that nobody has an 80% chance of getting an offer in medicine, especially not based purely on their academics.

Just stating objective facts, tbh. :p:
    do you play fall out 3? :p:

ReputationRep:
    I really doubt most universities would reject you based on the fact you're not doing biology, especially as your'e doing 2 sciences and maths. They might ask you in interviews why you haven't taken biology, just to make sure you're interested in the human body etc etc so make sure you're ready for that! Like someone's already said though, academically, there isn't that much medical stuff in A level Bio anyways so you're not missing out on too much (although the Kreb's cycle really was jizztastic....)

And no one has 80% chance of getting in based on grades. Academics aren't that important- as long as you have the entry requirements, it's fine (imo). You need good w/e, a good personal statement and a good UKCAT/BMAT score. As long as you're really interested in medicine and it's what you want to do, then it'll show in your ps so don't worry. There's not much you can do gor UKCAT (can't speak for BMAT), it's just like an IQ test really. Make sure you answer as many as possible because you will run out of time on most sections- so if you've got one minute left just guess as many as possible in the remaining time.

Good luck! =)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.