Turn on thread page Beta

Would you live with someone who had a pet snake? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nashy19)
    Snakes come longer and much much thinker than that, and they can swim which is scary.
    yeh! if they bigg snake can swim then i think it is the ultimate predator.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nat$)
    My parents dont mind him, but im not at uni yet.
    wellthen i guess its better to let ur parents have him, u dont want to make a bad reputation just because of having a snake in ur dorm... although it's sad being separated with ur pet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Apparently that snake was 140 years old :eek3:
    [email protected][email protected] read the article about it! scary @[email protected]

ReputationRep:
    Retards own snakes

ReputationRep:
    I would, and i do.. I have a lovely corn about the same age as yours Nat$, How is yours feeding? mine is being a nob ATM. I would live in a house FULL of snakes. I am going into Reptile conservation (once i completed my degree). They're the best animals IMO. Mother doesn't really like mice in the freezer, but its better than the crickets running around the living room! (geckos). Snakes are amazing.

--- Below, i don't want to start a dibate, i just want to bring some things to you're attention! & i feal strongly about information about snakes becuase they're my favorite animals ---

(Original post by Nat$)
    Not live tho, as its illegal in the UK.
    That's a common misconception. It is in fact LEGAL to feed live vertebrates to snakes and other animals. It is fround upon, does break the Animal Welfare Act and the 5 Freedoms but who is stupid enough to broadcast that they feed live lol? Sometimes the animals need live food, for example American imports are live feeders unfortunately so they need to be fed on live until you are able to take them off. Even wild caught specimens have to be either force fed or live fed.

This is quoted from British Parliaments resources site.

Currently under the 1911 Act it is not illegal to feed a live vertebrate to another unless you cause it unnecessary suffering, so that would have to be the result of a court case and the judge would have to make a decision.

Those of us who have been involved with reptiles will argue that a mouse that is being produced for food really has no cognizance of what is going on and exhibits no fear.

Whilst we absolutely do not want to encourage live feeding, we think we need some clarity as to whether that is going to be made illegal under this clause of fighting. Our concerns are, because of Clause 3(iv)(c), the need to be able to exhibit normal behavior patterns, that snakes in the wild feed on life prey, there are no carrion feeding snakes, so that would mean we are not going to be able to feed them frozen food; we are going to have to feed them live mice, and equally we would be opposed to having to introduce that.
    this practice is currently legal so long as not practiced in a public place. There has always been confusion over the legality of this practice as no regulation directly relating to this has ever been decreed. Many millions of rodents are destroyed every year by break back traps and poison, compared to these methods the kill by a snake is swift and efficient
    --- Okay, i know it says in the report about "Currently under the 1911 Act it is not illegal to feed a live vertebrate to another unless you cause it unnecessary suffering" i am sure this is impossible to do as the mouse will be stressed out. But hay that's the law. I do not and will not ever feed my snake live feed. I just think this should be brought to the public's attention.

http://www.publications.parliament.u...52/4090727.htm

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/snake...ding-laws.html

The law might have changed. I will carry on telling people it is LEGAL to feed live, but not recomended, untill i get shown some legal document about it.

(Original post by Broderss)
    Yup. 55 foot Boa found in China. http://www.ananova.com/News/story/sm_3557842.html
    lol, impossible. The longest snake in the world is the reticulated python , the biggest snake is the anaconda (green, i think). The biggest the reticulated python grows is about 35 foot max (that was the largest size ever found). It looks like a reticulated python, look at the head structure compaied to the boa (below). Boa's don't come from China. They come from America and some Carrabian islands. Where as Reticulated pythons Do come from Asia....

Boa;

Reticulated Python

The problem is, these reports you read on the Internet about 55 foot snakes have not been proven. Most of the time they are over exaggeration. That picture IMO doesn't look 55 foot, look at this image for example. That's apparently 55foot, that snake is never that big.

- But when there is scientific proof that there is a snake which has grown that large and is actually isn't fossilised then i will start to believe, but until then i wont.

Sorry about going off topic here.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not particularly scared of snakes but I'd have to demand to inspect the closed cage several times a day, don't fancy finding one writhing around on my floor!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy66)
    I would, and i do.. I have a lovely corn about the same age as yours Nat$, How is yours feeding? mine is being a nob ATM. I would live in a house FULL of snakes. I am going into Reptile conservation (once i completed my degree). They're the best animals IMO. Mother doesn't really like mice in the freezer, but its better than the crickets running around the living room! (geckos). Snakes are amazing.
    My snake feeds great. I always move his prey around when feeding him and make him work for his food as i dont want him to get lazy and fat. He has only once be strange and not wanted to eat, but still eat after anyway. Is yours not feeding well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nat$)
    My snake feeds great. I always move his prey around when feeding him and make him work for his food as i dont want him to get lazy and fat. He has only once be strange and not wanted to eat, but still eat after anyway. Is yours not feeding well?
    coool . I do that too.. usually he likes it.

Nah not at the moment, he's been abit rubbish atm, Hes cut his head on the overlapping glass, on the reptile forum im on i've been told it's around the time when they look for mate, and him beeing a horny male he's trying to get laid! this could be the reason why he isnt eatingggg. :/ He regurgitated also last week. I'm trying again today to see if he will eat. I just hope he will...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy66)
    coool . I do that too.. usually he likes it.

Nah not at the moment, he's been abit rubbish atm, Hes cut his head on the overlapping glass, on the reptile forum im on i've been told it's around the time when they look for mate, and him beeing a horny male he's trying to get laid! this could be the reason why he isnt eatingggg. :/ He regurgitated also last week. I'm trying again today to see if he will eat. I just hope he will...
    How often do you feed him and what size food? As mine is the same age, and male, he spends a lot of time looking out of his cage. Im not sure if this is because he wants me to pick him up or wether he is looking for a mate.
    Remember that snakes can live a long time with no food so i wouldnt worry too much much about him not eating. I prefer feeding my snake a larger prey and feeding him every 2 weeks; this also gives him more time to be active. I wont handle him for about 3 days but then i dont have to worry about not picking him up the rest of the time, this also makes him more eager to feed. Also what morph of corn is he?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nat$)
    How often do you feed him and what size food? As mine is the same age, and male, he spends a lot of time looking out of his cage. Im not sure if this is because he wants me to pick him up or wether he is looking for a mate.
    Remember that snakes can live a long time with no food so i wouldnt worry too much much about him not eating. I prefer feeding my snake a larger prey and feeding him every 2 weeks; this also gives him more time to be active. I wont handle him for about 3 days but then i dont have to worry about not picking him up the rest of the time, this also makes him more eager to feed. Also what morph of corn is he?
    usually feed him once a week. Usually feed him Medium... but i tried a large last night he ignored it completely. It's confusing. lol. Yeah mine is doing that allot atm, they only do it around this time, other time he is very voracious eater. Yeah that's very true im not that worried yet. Yeah i don't tend to handle mine a couple of days before, and a couple of days after. Sound's crule really doesn't it? lol.

He's an amel. I also think the problem is with his head. He's got a cut on it which i have been treating with some 80/20 povidone iodine solution, its more like 95/5 now its healing nicely. It's pretty brutal, and it will always have that scar bless him. But it was because he was rubbing in between the glass. That's sorted now i have some silicone sealant on the end of the glass so it shouldn't happen again. He's a pain in the bum!

**Sorry for hijacking the thread**

ReputationRep:
    I have pet snakes, 4 infact. I love them and they're amazing animals. You'll definately find people to live with you even if you do have it. They may not be 100% about it but they'll learn to love it.

ReputationRep:
    you think snakes is an issue, I have Tarantulas!...trust me more people are scared of/misunderstand tarantulas.

ReputationRep:
    I would, I love snakes

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.