Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    On a different forum i've had a bit of a debate as I really disagree with this comment -

"Older nurses make better nurses. Just my opinion! How you can relate to/empathise with some of the crap that people go through as a 20 yr old is beyond me. I know there are some fantastic younger nurses out there before I get lynched, just in general life experience helps shape you as a nurse. I trained at 26 and my 2 best friends on the course were mid to late 30s at the beginning of the 3 years. I definitely didn't have the maturity or determination required at the age of 20."

Another User who agreed with the user above:

"From a holistic point of view, older nurses are definitely more likely to empathise with the vast majority of patients. They see more clearly how illness can affect not only the patient, but family also, and therefore tend to communicate more effectively to both. Quite simply, they have experienced more, (learned more) and are therefore more likely to empathise and act according to protociols and ethical standards.

I could go on for ages attempting to illustrate why I think older nurses (generally) make better nurses...........it's simply because they have been in the making longer..........they have also (generally) been "making" other nurses better nurses.

I'm trying not to patronise, as that is not my intent, but you will be working with older nurses, often those who are higher up the scale than you. if you don't accept that they are "better" (for want of a more appropriate word), then you will learn less than you could otherwise. You will also be showing little respect for their years of dedication. "

What do you all think?

ReputationRep:
    to me that sounded like two old nurses chatting? XD You'll probably be a great nurse. I'd rather be treated by a young nurse, she's been trained more recently :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Study done in 2004 on psychiatric nurses showed the newly trained and younger nurses spent more patient contact and therapy time with their clients than those who had been old-school or 'trained' nurses, due to the trainign they'd recieve to cope with time managment, ie paperwork vs patient contact, and priorities of nursing. However, I have to say the older students on my course ie those over 30, have a lot of life experience- and can give a greater input in classes, and sharing experiences than I can, they won't necessarily make better nurses but they're ahead of us younger ones in terms of communication, empathy and social awareness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grape:))
    to me that sounded like two old nurses chatting? XD You'll probably be a great nurse. I'd rather be treated by a young nurse, she's been trained more recently :dontknow:

Well on the forum most of them are around 35-45 lol And didn't like it when I said that younger nurses are probably just as good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Study done in 2004 on psychiatric nurses showed the newly trained and younger nurses spent more patient contact and therapy time with their clients than those who had been old-school or 'trained' nurses, due to the trainign they'd recieve to cope with time managment, ie paperwork vs patient contact, and priorities of nursing. However, I have to say the older students on my course ie those over 30, have a lot of life experience- and can give a greater input in classes, and sharing experiences than I can, they won't necessarily make better nurses but they're ahead of us younger ones in terms of communication, empathy and social awareness

I can see that its true that older students probably know how to communicate better with people and have more experience in life but like you said it doesn't automatically make them better nurses.

Its like arguing that younger people have a better memory and can retain more information which will make them better nurses!

Argh i'm just annoyed lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    Well on the forum most of them are around 35-45 lol And didn't like it when I said that younger nurses are probably just as good.
    Yeh, I think you shouldn't really take the opinion seriously, as although they might believe it it's completely biased x

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, I think you shouldn't really take the opinion seriously, as although they might believe it it's completely biased x

I know but it just annoys me because I work in a care home at the moment and I know that some of the carers there think they are better than me just because they are a lot older.. even when some of them have only been in the job for a couple of years! There's a few who are always patronizing and coming out with comments about my age.

ReputationRep:
    I can see that its true that older students probably know how to communicate better with people and have more experience in life but like you said it doesn't automatically make them better nurses.

Its like arguing that younger people have a better memory and can retain more information which will make them better nurses!

Argh i'm just annoyed lol

I'm 20 and i actually agree with them, it's not the age that makes a good nurse- but when it comes to the patient it is a huge issue for many, and for the majority of mature stuent nurses it gives them a greater upperhand. Nursing is a huge learning skill and life learning too..i've seen more in one shift about the concepts of society, and bodily fluids than my 20yr old friends, most younger nursing students are more mature for their age due to this- it ages you fast, I don't feel 20, more 30. On top of this- there is a huge reason why the average age of a student nurse is 29!

One man refused to have me asisst in personal care with another nurse once as i was too young- academically, i'd say im at a huge advantage as instead of acsess i've done my a-levels and am fresh from education so find it easier to write essays and revise for exams, but on the ward it's the older nurses and indeed the older student nurses who're more assertive, outgoing and confident

ReputationRep:
    I know but it just annoys me because I work in a care home at the moment and I know that some of the carers there think they are better than me just because they are a lot older.. even when some of them have only been in the job for a couple of years! There's a few who are always patronizing and coming out with comments about my age.
    You'll do exactly the same thing when you're 40+!

You are young to be a carer, and student nurse and you'll have to deal with this- under 25's are a minority! It's no big deal, maybe learn from them, I have no issues if an older HCA on the ward tells me what to do when she's been on the job for a year and i'm a student nurse, i'll just ask why, and if i understand and agree i'll do it- but if i dont understand or agree i'll just question it. I always get comments about my age, but when they see how competant I am and mature it doesn't become an issue after a few hours of working in a new environment

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I can see where they are coming from but it still annoys me - I just think it's like younger nurses constantly have to prove themselves that they are just as good.

Just like where I work. Young members of staff can no longer give personal care to this one man because he kept making horrible sexual comments when getting him dressed & taking him to the toilet.. so I can see how he'd be best with older staff members. There's this one carer though who constantly says to me ' you can't do him on your own! your not allowed ' and you can tell she has joy in telling me that. And that just ****** me off big time!

ReputationRep:
    I can see their point but age doesn't automatically mean you have more life experience or more of an ability to emphasise with others. In my experience, (as a care assistant, I haven't started nursing training yet) the older people I work with tend to be better than the younger ones but thats not always the case and I don't assume if someone is going to be good at their job or not based on age, I wait until I work with them to see how they do their job.

Nurses and carers have different styles of doing things, one is not neccesarily better than the other.

ReputationRep:
    You'll do exactly the same thing when you're 40+!

You are young to be a carer, and student nurse and you'll have to deal with this- under 25's are a minority! It's no big deal, maybe learn from them, I have no issues if an older HCA on the ward tells me what to do when she's been on the job for a year and i'm a student nurse, i'll just ask why, and if i understand and agree i'll do it- but if i dont understand or agree i'll just question it. I always get comments about my age, but when they see how competant I am and mature it doesn't become an issue after a few hours of working in a new environment
    nah I don't think I would though!

I have no problem what so ever learning from older staff members - I have already learnt a lot from them in work. Its the patronizing and snide comments that I do not like! which they mostly do because of my age.

I do let it go over my head at times but when i'm constantly getting it at work when i'm stressed & tired it annoys me! and because i'm the only young member of staff working there full time at the moment it can be quite hard!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I can see where they are coming from but it still annoys me - I just think it's like younger nurses constantly have to prove themselves that they are just as good.

Just like where I work. Young members of staff can no longer give personal care to this one man because he kept making horrible sexual comments when getting him dressed & taking him to the toilet.. so I can see how he'd be best with older staff members. There's this one carer though who constantly says to me ' you can't do him on your own! your not allowed ' and you can tell she has joy in telling me that. And that just ****** me off big time!

Give her attitude back? Tell her it's probably best a dried up menopausal woman did it anyway and walk away...

You need to be more assertive and quick with the tongue if you want to survive, i get stupid people like that all the time at work (mostly HCA's, usually jealous a student nurse is a higher rank than them) and if they say something, i say it back- and they tend to respect you more by the end of it. My first day on my ortho placement this older HCA sort of challenged me a bit, by having a go at me for not calibrating the BM monitor before midnight as 'this was the rules'. I told her gently i had to care for 5 patients that night, do their notes and also sort out their drugs and that sort of role is traditionally left to the HCA, and i would happy to do it, just after i got the more important jobs out the way- she shut up and we ended up being good friends after 12 weeks lol They do like to test you, as you do get some idiot student nurses out there

ReputationRep:
    So long as you do well in your job I would consider those remarks to be unjust, and if I'm honest I would tell them to stop being ageist! Take them by surprise! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    So long as you do well in your job I would consider those remarks to be unjust, and if I'm honest I would tell them to stop being ageist! Take them by surprise! :woo:

You get it everywhere in healthcare, am still to work on a ward that ive not had a comment about my age from the old-schoolers, its not until that they see i'm not incompetant or an idiot, and can stand up for myself that they back off! It's just the oldschool thought of training, they tend to view student nurses as too posh to wash, or too clever to clean

ReputationRep:
    Give her attitude back? Tell her it's probably best a dried up menopausal woman did it anyway and walk away...

You need to be more assertive and quick with the tongue if you want to survive, i get stupid people like that all the time at work (mostly HCA's, usually jealous a student nurse is a higher rank than them) and if they say something, i say it back- and they tend to respect you more by the end of it. My first day on my ortho placement this older HCA sort of challenged me a bit, by having a go at me for not calibrating the BM monitor before midnight as 'this was the rules'. I told her gently i had to care for 5 patients that night, do their notes and also sort out their drugs and that sort of role is traditionally left to the HCA, and i would happy to do it, just after i got the more important jobs out the way- she shut up and we ended up being good friends after 12 weeks lol They do like to test you, as you do get some idiot student nurses out there
    I'm beginning to get more quick with come backs now but its hard because its such a busy place people normally say something then walk out the room! So can't exactly follow them and have a go! and to be honest I don't want them to know that i'm annoyed by it but maybe I should let them know... So they will stop.

ReputationRep:
    I'm beginning to get more quick with come backs now but its hard because its such a busy place people normally say something then walk out the room! So can't exactly follow them and have a go! and to be honest I don't want them to know that i'm annoyed by it but maybe I should let them know... So they will stop.

well you only have a few weeks left there till you start right? they sound horrible anyway, i only get 1 or 2 like that on every ward (always the one HCA who considers themselves to know more than matron) but a whole team of them...dear god

ReputationRep:
    You get it everywhere in healthcare, am still to work on a ward that ive not had a comment about my age from the old-schoolers, its not until that they see i'm not incompetant or an idiot, and can stand up for myself that they back off! It's just the oldschool thought of training, they tend to view student nurses as too posh to wash, or too clever to clean
    I guess that's really quite a shame. It's totally not my field of knowledge, but my feeling is that if someone has spent so so long training to be a nurse they just wont be 'too posh to wash' or any of those kinda things.

ReputationRep:
    Twenty year olds are not emotionally retarded, I'm sure they can 'empathize' if you think it's so important but what matters is whether they can do their job competently. I would personally much rather have a 20 year old nurse than a 40 year old one because old nurses act like they think they're you mother or something and I'm pretty sure everyone hates that.

ReputationRep:
    I guess that's really quite a shame. It's totally not my field of knowledge, but my feeling is that if someone has spent so so long training to be a nurse they just wont be 'too posh to wash' or any of those kinda things.

Oh god yeah, nurses are always complaining to me i'm too intelligent to be a nurse, and do too many exams and essays, and i dont need it to be a nurse...but then look shocked when I question best practice and skills, and discuss research with newly qualified nurses, and can still give personal care with dignity and privacy and don't whinge :rolleyes:

It's just the way it is..i'm sure when i'm an old-school nursen in 30years, i'll be complaining about the students! I'd consider it a priveledge- i even complain about 1st years now lol

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.