Turn on thread page Beta

Metropolitan Police 'still institutionally racist' watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    I didnt say the police force was racist because they havent yet acheived a representative balance but I do feel that they should be better balanced. I feel that having an "all white" police force will not be helpful for the reasons I explained previously. Mainly because they may not be aware/sympathetic of culturally specific problems within certain communities, which could bring about barriers to solving crimes/gaining evidence or changing their attitudes.

However, the way they have dealt with certain crimes suggests that they are institutionally racist in parts.

Also The_red_wedge has decribed how ethnic people in the police force have not been treated equally in terms of opportunity and promotion (i.e better qualified/experienced asians). That's also institutional racism and evidence that positive discrimination isn't happening, but rather that ethnic people are being overlooked despite their abilities.

The met also serves to represent women in numbers reflecting the population. Are you going to say that that's sexism then? You took that quote out of context and completely dismiss what I wrote below that as an explanation. You DO need to represent each group, be it by ethnicity or sex. The person who posted directly under my post has explained with even more eloquence exactly the same. You are indeed ingnorant yourself if you don't understand why you do need to have a balance when investigating certain communities.
    It's mostly just the met though, it's the most corrupt policeforce in the UK so it's going to be racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)
    It's mostly just the met though, it's the most corrupt policeforce in the UK so it's going to be racist.
    How is it corrupt?
    Generally I think they have come a way since the Stephen Lawrence affair and I would go as far as to say they are racist across the board.

(Original post by mathew551)
    There should be no need for an association supporting blacks. It should be abolished, why should black people have extra representation? :s
    Well it was created after the Stephen Lawrence murder, and investigation amid claims of institutional racism. Meant to be a deterrant for racism and I suppose to support and give confidence to police officers who were/are an ethnic minority or black, or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Haha... according to someone, I'm an idiot for believing that the Met is racist. I forgot that TSR is full of little kids who don't think racism exists any more. (but alas, I blame our education system for this distorted view of life).

I guess I'll get more bad rep for this. But hey... people who are right always get less support than those who are wrong in this modern world.

about time people woke up and realised that the Met isn't as lovely and adorable organisation that it makes itself out to be. losers!

Bad rep pending :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I find it absolutely disturbing that there is a "black" institution and a "white" one. This country.. my goodness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You-Rock-My-World)
    Statistically black people commit more crimes, and are more likely to carry weapons like knives and carry drugs.

Also isn't it racist that the BPA keep making the police hire more and more black policeman? Isn't that racist against white people? There doesn't need to be a black police association as it only leads to positive discrimination.
    Possibly because they are stopped so more often than white people - if 5/100 blacks are searched and 1/20 whites are searched,m you are far likely to get caught and arrested if you are a black person.

It's not a colour thing, it's a socio-economic thing. Because someone is black does not make them more likely to commit crimes - it's that many people in the socio-economic situation that causes these crimes are black.

You are right, race shouldn't play a part in selecting individuals for jobs. There should be no obligation on employers to hire 'x' number of blacks, browns, yellows or whites.

ReputationRep:
    I think the Metropolitian Black Police Association are institutionnaly racist and should stop causing problems.

ReputationRep:
    Evil policeman patrol the city
    They look for somebody to kill
    They've done a little damage
    They wanna do some more now
    And they probably will
    And they probably will

ReputationRep:
    http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/prgpdfs/fprs107.pdf

Oh awesome another thread where those with little experience of racism offer their jaded and idiotic views whilst overlooking a government report which counters their ignorance. What are you gonna say, minorities forged this as well? Ethnic minorities need to understand, Britain is a racist country, always has been and always will be. They may lie and talk **** whilst you're in their presence but at the end of the day things dont change, they'll gladly **** you over given the chance. I can see a gradual shift towards a culture where even the mention of racism is seen as an excuse to play the race card. Just get on with your lives, its a racist institution but its their institution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You-Rock-My-World)
    Statistically black people commit more crimes, and are more likely to carry weapons like knives and carry drugs.

Also isn't it racist that the BPA keep making the police hire more and more black policeman? Isn't that racist against white people? There doesn't need to be a black police association as it only leads to positive discrimination.
    positive discrimination

ReputationRep:
    Met Black Police Association - "We want funding: let's claim racism!"

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The Met have a right to be racist. What is the issue?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/prgpdfs/fprs107.pdf

Oh awesome another thread where those with little experience of racism offer their jaded and idiotic views whilst overlooking a government report which counters their ignorance. What are you gonna say, minorities forged this as well? Ethnic minorities need to understand, Britain is a racist country, always has been and always will be. They may lie and talk **** whilst you're in their presence but at the end of the day things dont change, they'll gladly **** you over given the chance. I can see a gradual shift towards a culture where even the mention of racism is seen as an excuse to play the race card. Just get on with your lives, its a racist institution but its their institution.
    Yes, and it's your militant 'them and us' attitude which fuels racism in the first place.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.