Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have received my offers, and these two (after a long consideration of Manchester) have been left as my top choices. I love both of these, for different reasons, and... I just can't quite make a final decision. I am leaning towards UCL, as I can get a MSc and then move on from there, and there was a type of Biology course there (Cell level development, I think?) that covered more of my interests, in evolution, and the link between cells and behaviour, and everything I pretty much put on my personal statement, but the course would be pure Biology, rather then a joint honours of Biology and Psychology that I would get at St. Andrews.

My other reasons are as follows:

UCL

- 4 years of a Masters Degree, good prospects
    - Central london; an opportunity to live in the city
    - If I take a chemistry module, I can swap courses with my AS in Chemistry (taken this year, bad subject choices last year, why on earth did I take English) to Biochem., which I may prefer to straight Biology
    - Straight Biology. Would I regret not taking the Psychology?
    - 4 years. D:
    - City life, would be more expensive. However I will be closer to my old friends (AKA, not in Scotland), yet too much trouble to reach to have my mother on my doorstep constantly.

St. Andrews

- Biology and Psychology joint honours degree, and originally my favourite choice; however, five years for a Bachelors
    - More of a campus, with more traditions, a stronger community, and good science labs from what I've seen.
    - There is a good chance I could really fit in here, but the closest city is Dundee, and Edinburgh is around 2 hours? away. (granted, I have not seen Dundee, I was only able to come for a weekend, I am planning to visit both campus's again, hopefully, before finalising my decision.)

This, surrounded by my regrets at not taking Chemistry last year, leave me really kind of confused about where exactly I want to go. >__< I have visited, and do like, both Universities. Would anyone be able to give me ideas more about the student communities at each Uni? Or you can just hit me and tell me to read more into this, and stop complaining. Either would work. xDD;;

ReputationRep:
    I would go for UCL in a heartbeat. A better university reputation (regardless of what the league tables say), and generally regarded as a lot more fun than being stuck in the styx in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wuzzie)
    I have received my offers, and these two (after a long consideration of Manchester) have been left as my top choices. I love both of these, for different reasons, and... I just can't quite make a final decision. I am leaning towards UCL, as I can get a MSc and then move on from there, and there was a type of Biology course there (Cell level development, I think?) that covered more of my interests, in evolution, and the link between cells and behaviour, and everything I pretty much put on my personal statement, but the course would be pure Biology, rather then a joint honours of Biology and Psychology that I would get at St. Andrews.

My other reasons are as follows:

UCL

- 4 years of a Masters Degree, good prospects
    - Central london; an opportunity to live in the city
    - If I take a chemistry module, I can swap courses with my AS in Chemistry (taken this year, bad subject choices last year, why on earth did I take English) to Biochem., which I may prefer to straight Biology
    - Straight Biology. Would I regret not taking the Psychology?
    - 4 years. D:
    - City life, would be more expensive. However I will be closer to my old friends (AKA, not in Scotland), yet too much trouble to reach to have my mother on my doorstep constantly.

St. Andrews

- Biology and Psychology joint honours degree, and originally my favourite choice; however, five years for a Bachelors
    - More of a campus, with more traditions, a stronger community, and good science labs from what I've seen.
    - There is a good chance I could really fit in here, but the closest city is Dundee, and Edinburgh is around 2 hours? away. (granted, I have not seen Dundee, I was only able to come for a weekend, I am planning to visit both campus's again, hopefully, before finalising my decision.)

This, surrounded by my regrets at not taking Chemistry last year, leave me really kind of confused about where exactly I want to go. >__< I have visited, and do like, both Universities. Would anyone be able to give me ideas more about the student communities at each Uni? Or you can just hit me and tell me to read more into this, and stop complaining. Either would work. xDD;;
    Hey, -I dunno if you've made up your mind yet or..- But I'm a local to St Andrews, (I actually work in the Uni's Library, haha) and Dundee's not 2 hours away, it's like a half journey bus ride along probs less in a car

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you prefer UCL, despite not being able to do Psychology. Have you done Psychology at A Level? Sometimes a subject is not all it seems, especially at university. You might be better off doing the straight Biology degree because it sounds like it really interests you in terms of what you want to do for a Masters, etc.

In terms of costs, London should not be *that* expensive for a student apart from possibly accommodation. I am going to be studying in the midlands where accommodation is more expensive than a city I applied to near by is so just because it is in London does not mean it will be the most costly place to live.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, -I dunno if you've made up your mind yet or..- But I'm a local to St Andrews, (I actually work in the Uni's Library, haha) and Dundee's not 2 hours away, it's like a half journey bus ride along probs less in a car
    Is this a joke? You say it like being near Dundee is a GOOD thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bramlow)
    Is this a joke? You say it like being near Dundee is a GOOD thing.
    Nah I was just saying it's not two hours away.. chill out ¬¬

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.