Turn on thread page Beta

Best speakers for around £120 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Looking to get some new 5.1 speakers for my PC and not looking to spend more than £120 (though flexible if much better speakers for a little more). looking for best all-round speakers,watch a lot of TV and a little music.any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about anything specific in that price bracket, but are you sure you want 5.1? If you've thought about it then fine- but many people automatically assume that 5.1 is better, when in fact a better quality 2 (or 2.1) speaker setup would be more suitable if you're mostly going to be listening to music and TV (which is generally in stereo).

ReputationRep:
    You are FAR better going down the stereo route for your music - your ears will thank you for it.

Generally, anything 5.1 in that price range is garbage (electric retail salesman) the sound is very poor even if you go Sony or Panasonic.

That stated, there is a gorgeous Bose set at £99.99
    http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/pro...IMEDIA-SPEAKER

Or, if you are serious about your sound and willing to spend a little more for excellence - Tapco S5 pair.
    http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/produc...o-s5-pair.html

You can add the Tapco SW10 sub to the S5 set if heavy bass is what you desire...

Good luck on your search!

Neil Hamilton

ReputationRep:
    I've had the Logitech Z2300 for a couple of years they are 2.1 system and I'm sure the real audiophiles will disagree they have decent sound quality and crazy bass.

Would work a treat for watching Tele/gaming/dvd/games.

my two pence....

ReputationRep:
    Okay, here we go. DO NOT BUY LOGITECH SPEAKERS. DO NOT BUY BOSE SPEAKERS. DO NOT BUY CREATIVE SPEAKERS.

Buy a pair of Audioengine A2's, or a pair of M-Audio AV40's.

These are proper stereo monitors. You will get three times the quality of sound from these speakers as you do from a logitech surround sound setup costing several hundred pounds. Do not buy into computer speaker marketing hype. The only reason to buy anything from logitech is if you absolutely have to buy USB Speakers, in which case a second hand pair of Z-10's or the logitech cinema system will do. If you have a sound card, buy real speakers.

Ignore my advice at your loss. Or, go to www.head-fi.org (the experts) and ask them about what computer speakers to buy for £120. They'll tell you EXACTLY what I told you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redemption)
    Okay, here we go. DO NOT BUY LOGITECH SPEAKERS. DO NOT BUY BOSE SPEAKERS. DO NOT BUY CREATIVE SPEAKERS.

OP wants speakers for online TV, i highly doubt that if he is asking a load of students he is much of an audiophile or would be able to tell the difference of a £50 logitech system and your £120 Audioenigines.

In fact why would he buy the M-audios for television!? :confused: I used to have them in my studio but they didn't pack enough of a punch, although to be fair it gave a super flat line output.

Bottom line: OP wants speakers to watch (probably low quality) streaming television from his laptop. Why would he part with more money when there is no way in hell the audio bit rate would be up the quality of the speaker, I highly doubt he'd be able to tell the difference...

OP: I say; don't spend £120 on speakers unless you're using high-quality audio feed, just buy some bombproof logitech's. Do not however buy creatives speakers because they are just generally ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xands)
    OP wants speakers for online TV, i highly doubt that if he is asking a load of students he is much of an audiophile or would be able to tell the difference of a £50 logitech system and your £120 Audioenigines.

In fact why would he buy the M-audios for television!? I used to have them in my studio but they didn't pack enough of a punch, although to be fair it gave a super flat line output.

Bottom line: OP wants speakers to watch (probably low quality) streaming television from his laptop. Why would he part with more money when there is no way in hell the audio bit rate would be up the quality of the speaker, I highly doubt he'd be able to tell the difference...

OP: I say; don't spend £120 on speakers unless you're using high-quality audio feed, just buy some bombproof logitech's. Do not however buy creatives speakers because they are just generally ****.
    He said music. Even audiophiles like to watch tv sometimes. If he wants to spend £120 on speakers, he should buy one of those two. If he doesn't know what he wants, then he should buy some AV20's, or some smaller decent 2.0 speaker setups.

If he really has no idea what good speakers are and has no ears from being beaten up a lot and likes wasting his money, then a second hand pair of z2300's would suit him best.

ReputationRep:
    He said music. Even audiophiles like to watch tv sometimes. If he wants to spend £120 on speakers, he should buy one of those two. If he doesn't know what he wants, then he should buy some AV20's, or some smaller decent 2.0 speaker setups.

If he really has no idea what good speakers are and has no ears from being beaten up a lot and likes wasting his money, then a second hand pair of z2300's would suit him best.
    Is the bass weaker on the AV40s than the midrange logitechs? I wanted to blow a hole through my flatmates wall who has been playing his **** music at me full volume

ReputationRep:

I was about to post an identical version of this. I hate reading terrible Logitech recommendations, gosh let alone Bose recommendations :confused:

A2s/AV40s - best recommendation for this price range, for sure. Avoid bothering with any "surround sound", it's unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freecom2)
    I was about to post an identical version of this. I hate reading terrible Logitech recommendations, gosh let alone Bose recommendations :confused:

A2s/AV40s - best recommendation for this price range, for sure. Avoid bothering with any "surround sound", it's unnecessary.
    are they that overrated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomheppy)
    are they that overrated?
    Their marketing push seems to have paid dividends, when there are far better for the price. They aren't terrible, but there are certainly far better overlooked products like the Audioengines, which IMO also look like they have been engineered better.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=tomheppy I wanted to blow a hole through my flatmates wall who has been playing his **** music at me full volume[/QUOTE]

If you want a relatively cheap bomb proof bass system: Logitech z2300 youtube it, sure the sound quality isn't up to scratch for the true audiophiles, HOWEVER they are fantastically ear shatteringly loud, and if you crank the bass it was make you **** yourself. So don't fanny around buying Audioengine, and mini studio monitors, get logitechs and get the job done for less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xands)
    , get logitechs and get the job done for less.
    Actually z2300's are £120, and the audioengines and m-audio av's can be had for less than that. Game.

(Original post by tomheppy)
    Is the bass weaker on the AV40s than the midrange logitechs? I wanted to blow a hole through my flatmates wall who has been playing his **** music at me full volume
    It's better. You can actually hear the songs and the bass as it was intended. They'll go very loud, it's just that people who buy logitech speakers don't often listen to any real speakers, and so they'll rant about how awesome this or that is. I'd say the audio's or audioengines will go to about 90% of the volume of the logitechs, except they will do it without distortions and crackling and *******. Also, at that volume, you should really be worried about your long-term hearing.

If you want to piss your flat mate off, get a loud girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    Actually z2300's are £120, and the audioengines and m-audio av's can be had for less than that. Game.

It's better. You can actually hear the songs and the bass as it was intended. They'll go very loud, it's just that people who buy logitech speakers don't often listen to any real speakers, and so they'll rant about how awesome this or that is. I'd say the audio's or audioengines will go to about 90% of the volume of the logitechs, except they will do it without distortions and crackling and *******. Also, at that volume, you should really be worried about your long-term hearing.

If you want to piss your flat mate off, get a loud girlfriend.
    Thanks. I'll go for the AV40s.+rep

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Redemption]Actually z2300's are £120, and the audioengines and m-audio av's can be had for less than that. Game.

Fair play, I brought mine when they were first introduced and they were only £80 but that was back in the day....

Redemption is right in all that he has said, but i just can't shake the feeling that OP wants a system that will make his room vibrate with bass so intense. The only reason I have the logitechs is for pretty much the crazy bass novelty value which I think is pretty unrivalled (and also to hear what my studio tracks sound like on normal speakers) and yes when I pop into the studio and switch on my PMC's the sound difference is immense. But you see my point.

But hey, enjoy the audioengines!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.