Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi people

Basically long story short otherwise there would be a whole essay here.

I'm a Year 2 student currently studying BTEC National Diploma/Award/Certificate worth 3 A levels. Iv'e Applied for University with 2 Offers from De Montford University for 280 Points Combined BA Honours Business Management & Economics which I can get. The other course is Economics & Government woth 240 points. The course requirements are Grade C in English Language. I don't have this. I have been trying my best and hardest into retaking this but I have gotten nowhere. As a last resort, i've had to enrol on an online gcse english course costing £175. Now i would not be worrying but i've got to register as an external private candidate at a school or college in order to take the exam. It is not possible at my present college and my secondary school don't do it.

A couple weeks ago, I went to De Montford University with my two mates doing the same course for an open day and they had informal interviews there (my PS was excellent and i've already been offeed 2 places) . I asked head of admisions if they would accept me without GCSE English Language or an equivalent and she said "never in my 20 years as head of admissions have we accepted applicants without GCSE English Language or any equivalent qualifications." She also said "good luck with your english but you "NEED" to have it. Every student has GCSE English Language standard."

What options are left for me to take? De Montford University is my top 2 choices and Manchester Met is my 3rd choice and they haven't got back to me. Wolverhampton is my last choice as Nottingham Trent rejected me even though De Montford is more points. :mad:

What can I do? Any suggestions please? Taking a year out is not an option. I have a valid reason as to why I didn't gain a GCSE C in English. Could the Uni's accept that?

Thanks for reading.

ReputationRep:
    They accept GCSE equivalent which can be obtained through LearnDirect, Certificate in Adult Literacy Level 2, it is dead easy and is a mockery of the true GCSE course, 40 multiple choice questions and your done. Give them a ring to discuss it and then double check with the Uni that it is acceptable.

See if you can cancel the online GCSE course and get your money back, they will have nothing that you can't teach yourself and it can be a stuggle to find a school who will let you sit the exam (which you will have to pay for) and if you need coursework marked it is virtually impossible. Most exam boards require that the work is overseen and marked by an independant teacher, you'd need to hire someone and pay silly money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rkarday)
    Hi people

I'm a Year 2 student currently studying BTEC National Diploma/Award/Certificate worth 3 A levels. Iv'e Applied for University with 2 Offers from De Montford University for 280 Points Combined BA Honours Business Management & Economics which I can get. The other course is Economics & Government woth 240 points. The course requirements are Grade C in English Language. I don't have this. I have been trying my best and hardest into retaking this but I have gotten nowhere. As a last resort, i've had to enrol on an online gcse english course costing £175. Now i would not be worrying but i've got to register as an external private candidate at a school or college in order to take the exam. It is not possible at my present college and my secondary school don't do it.

A couple weeks ago, I went to De Montford University with my two mates doing the same course for an open day and they had informal interviews there (my PS was excellent and i've already been offeed 2 places) . I asked head of admisions if they would accept me without GCSE English Language or an equivalent and she said "never in my 20 years as head of admissions have we accepted applicants without GCSE English Language or any equivalent qualifications." She also said "good luck with your english but you "NEED" to have it. Every student has GCSE English Language standard."

What options are left for me to take? De Montford University is my top 2 choices and Manchester Met is my 3rd choice and they haven't got back to me. Wolverhampton is my last choice as Nottingham Trent rejected me even though De Montford is more points. :mad:

What can I do? Any suggestions please? Taking a year out is not an option. I have a valid reason as to why I didn't gain a GCSE C in English. Could the Uni's accept that?

Thanks for reading.

Have you looked at institutions other than your secondary school and current college? Ring round all the colleges and schools you could get to and see if they would take you as a private candidate

ReputationRep:
    GCSE English language (or the equivilant) is a general requirement for every single university course in the country. This means they are not going to let you in without it regardless of whatever story you come up with so therefore if you want to go to university this year you need to pass English. It doesn't matter if something happened etc in your GCSE year as the reason why you don't have it from then, as you've had 2 years to sort this out and plenty of people do retake post Year 11 so you don't really have a valid reason because one does not exist.

From this it seems like you've already enrolled on the online course? As has been said, contact other schools in your local area and see if they will let you sit it or contact the course providers and ask for help as to where other people usually sit the exams. If there isn't anywhere in your local area then you may have to travel further afield to sit it and perhaps stay overnight or something, but one way or another you need to find a way of taking the exam as otherwise a) you've lost the £175 you've paid and b) you're not going to university this year.

All of your other offers (should you get one) will be subject to you obtaining this GCSE grade so not doing it isn't really an option. As has been said, look into the alternative accepted qualifications and see if colleges near you are offering them, but I would make every effort to get the actual GCSE qualification as even if a university accepts and alternative one now, you will find that for graduate job prospects etc a GCSE English pass is essential.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    No, you need to retake it again otherwise university will not offer you a place. I'm a parent, my son has Predictions 3* in A level. And he has social/ communication impairment disability. All University’s request min grade in English C Sadly, he got grade C if excluded the speaking and listening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gecko0008)
    Hi
    No, you need to retake it again otherwise university will not offer you a place. I'm a parent, my son has Predictions 3* in A level. And he has social/ communication impairment disability. All University’s request min grade in English C Sadly, he got grade C if excluded the speaking and listening.
    Could he not do the equivalent qualification? I had undiagnosed mental health issues when I was at school and as a result received almost no passing grades. I've got equivalents now which were both multiple choice, and I have been accepted by Durham, UCL and Glasgow so far. Providing that the rest of the application is together it should not hold him back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gecko0008)
    Hi
    Or the other option is to look for him to do a different syllabus that does not involve a speaking and listening module. I hope it works out for him.

ReputationRep:
    You are lucky accepted by top U. Exams officer has agreed to offer him an exemption from the speaking and listening component of the exam April 2009. However, we requested to check the score of results from June and November 2009. It rather looks as though the exemption hasn’t actually been noted somehow, and that his S & L score has been factored into his results after all. The head of year 13 was going to ask them recheck it again. Hopefully we got the good new from them later.

ReputationRep:
    Hi people

What options are left for me to take? De Montford University is my top 2 choices and Manchester Met is my 3rd choice and they haven't got back to me. Wolverhampton is my last choice as Nottingham Trent rejected me even though De Montford is more points.

Thanks for reading.
    If they won't accept anything less, then I'm afraid they won't. Whether you had a good reason for not getting a C in GCSE English is irrelevant - it is a minimum standard, as the Admissions Tutor has explained. Your best plan is to concentrate on that GCSE resit - even at the expense of other stuff - unless you have some other option to present as an alternative but equivalent qualification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    If they won't accept anything less, then I'm afraid they won't. Whether you had a good reason for not getting a C in GCSE English is irrelevant - it is a minimum standard, as the Admissions Tutor has explained. Your best plan is to concentrate on that GCSE resit - even at the expense of other stuff - unless you have some other option to present as an alternative but equivalent qualification.
    Does that mean that I will need to take a year out to do the GCSE resit? Thats not an option I can do...Too late to even consider it :shock: ...Thanls for the advice though,

ReputationRep:
    Does that mean that I will need to take a year out to do the GCSE resit? Thats not an option I can do...Too late to even consider it ...Thanls for the advice though,
    Not necessarily. If you move fast, you could register for the exam now and get enough work/revision done to be able to it in June with a reasonable prospect of getting that C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    GCSE English language (or the equivilant) is a general requirement for every single university course in the country. This means they are not going to let you in without it regardless of whatever story you come up with so therefore if you want to go to university this year you need to pass English. It doesn't matter if something happened etc in your GCSE year as the reason why you don't have it from then, as you've had 2 years to sort this out and plenty of people do retake post Year 11 so you don't really have a valid reason because one does not exist.

From this it seems like you've already enrolled on the online course? As has been said, contact other schools in your local area and see if they will let you sit it or contact the course providers and ask for help as to where other people usually sit the exams. If there isn't anywhere in your local area then you may have to travel further afield to sit it and perhaps stay overnight or something, but one way or another you need to find a way of taking the exam as otherwise a) you've lost the £175 you've paid and b) you're not going to university this year.

All of your other offers (should you get one) will be subject to you obtaining this GCSE grade so not doing it isn't really an option. As has been said, look into the alternative accepted qualifications and see if colleges near you are offering them, but I would make every effort to get the actual GCSE qualification as even if a university accepts and alternative one now, you will find that for graduate job prospects etc a GCSE English pass is essential.
    Its only the admissions officer at De Montford University saying that they don't accept any GCSE equivalent but in the 2010 prospectus under English Language Requirements, it clearly states "it is university policy that all applicants are required to produce evidence of English language ability to GCSE standard (or the equivalent). Now why would they say this in the prospectus and on the website. Why would it say this? I don't think this is right for this to be printed if they don't accept applicants with a GCSE equivalent.

ReputationRep:
    Its only the admissions officer at De Montford University saying that they don't accept any GCSE equivalent but in the 2010 prospectus under English Language Requirements, it clearly states "it is university policy that all applicants are required to produce evidence of English language ability to GCSE standard (or the equivalent). Now why would they say this in the prospectus and on the website. Why would it say this? I don't think this is right for this to be printed if they don't accept applicants with a GCSE equivalent.
    But is that what you are offering? It's not clear that this is the case. If it is, then you need to get on to the uni ASAP and clarify the position.

ReputationRep:
    The course requirements are Grade C in English Language.
    Slightly confusing reading through your post because you said this separately from saying your offers are for 280 and 240 points.

Are you saying this is part of both your offers? I.e. do your offer conditions say 'so many points and a C in English language GCSE'?

If so, then obviously you need to get a C or you don't meet your offer; but you said you haven't got an exam arranged so how did you then include it in your UCAS form for unis to know you were resitting to give you an offer accordingly?. Just seems like maybe there could be some crossed wires with what you're asking. :confused:

You could try calling round other local schools to find an exam center though, or talking to the exam board. They may have an idea of which schools are willing to except external candidates (you might also want to try private schools as when my brother sat his A levels as an external candidate he had a lot of trouble finding an exam center and eventually it was a private school nearby that was most willing to enter him as an external candiate; I imagine this might incur extra exam costs though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    Slightly confusing reading through your post because you said this separately from saying your offers are for 280 and 240 points.

Are you saying this is part of both your offers? I.e. do your offer conditions say 'so many points and a C in English language GCSE'?

If so, then obviously you need to get a C or you don't meet your offer; but you said you haven't got an exam arranged so how did you then include it in your UCAS form for unis to know you were resitting to give you an offer accordingly?. Just seems like maybe there could be some crossed wires with what you're asking. :confused:

You could try calling round other local schools to find an exam center though, or talking to the exam board. They may have an idea of which schools are willing to except external candidates (you might also want to try private schools as when my brother sat his A levels as an external candidate he had a lot of trouble finding an exam center and eventually it was a private school nearby that was most willing to enter him as an external candiate; I imagine this might incur extra exam costs though).
    Hi there, Sorry for the confusion...each course I have applied for allstate that I need GCSE English Language or equivalent. Now as I have said already..De Montford University is my top 2 chouce and I am really keen on going there . In De Montford Universities prospectus it clearly states "it is university policy that all applicants are required to produce evidence of English language ability to GCSE standard (or the equivalent)."

I can get a GCSE English Equivalent in like a week (ive already enquired abou that) but why is De Montford Uni saying to me they dont accept GCSE equivalent? And what month of the year did your brother apply as an external candidate? I think theres a deadline as well for that as well..not to sure...

Its half term now and i expect all the local schools and colleges to be closed for 1 week so i will try to contact them from tomorrow and give an update in regards to this...Thanks for the advice people.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, Sorry for the confusion...each course I have applied for allstate that I need GCSE English Language or equivalent. Now as I have said already..De Montford University is my top 2 chouce and I am really keen on going there . In De Montford Universities prospectus it clearly states "it is university policy that all applicants are required to produce evidence of English language ability to GCSE standard (or the equivalent)."

I can get a GCSE English Equivalent in like a week (ive already enquired abou that) but why is De Montford Uni saying to me they dont accept GCSE equivalent? And what month of the year did your brother apply as an external candidate? I think theres a deadline as well for that as well..not to sure...

Its half term now and i expect all the local schools and colleges to be closed for 1 week so i will try to contact them from tomorrow and give an update in regards to this...Thanks for the advice people.
    But I don't think they are - in your original post you wrote:
    She also said "good luck with your english but you "NEED" to have it. Every student has GCSE English Language standard."
    I don't read that as excluding an equivalent qualification.

As I say, you really do need to contact the uni and get - in writing - a statement from them as to what alternatives to a GCSE at Grade C they will accept.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.