Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i'm thinking of going to college to do highers.Rather than staying on at school.I hate school thought i've never really wanted to go to college
    are the courses usually 2 years & do you need standard grades to do the highers at college?

i thought this looked good

http://livewebservices.jameswatt.ac....99000026304990

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I left school at the end of S4 (last August) and I'm currently doing my Highers in college.

Pros
    Much more relaxed - no ******** school drama/*****ing/bullying at all.
    Treated like an adult.
    Meet loads of new people/learn a lot of life lessons/face reality.
    Lecturers are much more friendly towards you.
    All your books are paid for.
    Much more free time.
    Mature alot.
    Good prep for uni
    Wider variety of subjects on offer.
    MUCH better help with UCAS.
    A lot more study support offered than school.
    You can opt to do the NABs one year and then exam the next if you want.
    You aren't put under constant pressure like school, and the minute you slip up you are moved down/kicked it.
    Much more fair.
    Lecturers are generally quite advanced in their fields.
    A better library, and general feeling than school
    They listen to your concerns/problems. We found that our English teacher was being a bit annoying with the constant "do this without me teaching you", told our cirriculum leader and she had a word with her.

Cons
    Teaching can be crappy.
    Money can become a big factor.
    People are generally older in college, so you might find it harder to relate to older students.
    You can loose motivation very easily.
    It's a case of "what you put in is what you get", not like school where you're constantly spoon-fed/given homework. (But, that is prep for uni).
    A lot less contact time than school.
    The timetable is crazy. In all colleges, james watt (kilwinning) and ayr included, it's 3 hour and 2 hour blocks of subjects.
    Do not be tempted to take Higher Psychology. At all.
    Do not be tempted to take Higher Sociology. At all.
    It really throws you out your comfort zone.
    Sometimes the subjects can be quite limited.

And to answer your questions:
    No, it's normally 1 year.
    Yep, but only in the subjects you want to do higher, you'll probably be given a conditional of say, credit grades in the highers your picking. For Kilwinning, you can get an unconditional if you opt to do all int 2s, and then move into higher when you get your results confirmed with them.

I left because I was bullied horribly at school and the place just made me a risk to myself. Everday it was the same people, same crap, teachers with their stupid attitudes...my self esteem was zilch...totally not the right place for my Higher year.

I've found that college has let me mature and grow into a whole new me, and yes it does have its downsides but I do not regret my decision.

If you're up for it, go for it. If you have any questions PM me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Hi

I left school at the end of S4 (last August) and I'm currently doing my Highers in college.

Pros
    Treated like an adult.
    Much more free time.
    Mature alot.
    Good prep for uni
    You aren't put under constant pressure like school, and the minute you slip up you are moved down/kicked it.
    Much more fair.
    They listen to your concerns/problems. We found that our English teacher was being a bit annoying with the constant "do this without me teaching you", told our cirriculum leader and she had a word with her.

Cons
    Teaching can be crappy.
    People are generally older in college, so you might find it harder to relate to older students.
    It's a case of "what you put in is what you get", not like school where you're constantly spoon-fed/given homework. (But, that is prep for uni).
    The timetable is crazy. In all colleges, james watt (kilwinning) and ayr included, it's 3 hour and 2 hour blocks of subjects.

Yep, but only in the subjects you want to do higher, you'll probably be given a conditional of say, credit grades in the highers your picking. For Kilwinning, you can get an unconditional if you opt to do all int 2s, and then move into higher when you get your results confirmed with them.

I left because I was bullied horribly at school and the place just made me a risk to myself. Everday it was the same people, same crap, teachers with their stupid attitudes...my self esteem was zilch...totally not the right place for my Higher year.

I've found that college has let me mature and grow into a whole new me, and yes it does have its downsides but I do not regret my decision.

money wouldn't be a problem because i would get me ema
    and i prefer older people i can talk to them easier not like people at school.So to do the highers at college i would need credit passes at standard grade? if so i don't think i can go Whats the most highers you can do at college?on website's it said 3-4 for going full time.i really wanted to do the Higher Psychology is it hard? i would image so because you can't do it at school so no previous experience with it.Once after a year there can i apply to uni?i thought james watt had a lot of good subjects to choose from Biotechnology, Mathematics, Chemistry, Modern Studies, Drama, English, Physics, French, Psychology, Human Biology/Biology, Sociology.
    is it a good collage? do you have links to any websites for more info? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feo)
    money wouldn't be a problem because i would get me ema
    and i prefer older people i can talk to them easier not like people at school.So to do the highers at college i would need credit passes at standard grade? if so i don't think i can go Whats the most highers you can do at college?on website's it said 3-4 for going full time.i really wanted to do the Higher Psychology is it hard? i would image so because you can't do it at school so no previous experience with it.Once after a year there can i apply to uni?i thought james watt had a lot of good subjects to choose from Biotechnology, Mathematics, Chemistry, Modern Studies, Drama, English, Physics, French, Psychology, Human Biology/Biology, Sociology.
    is it a good collage? do you have links to any websites for more info? thanks
    Firstly, what highers are you thinking about doing? And what campus are you hopefully applying for? What standard grades/levels are you currently sitting? You can apply to do all Int 2, get an unconditional and then move up during your enrollment day.

So to do the highers at college i would need credit passes at standard grade? if so i don't think i can go

Yes, but if you don't get credits you can still do int 2 and then highers next year at college, just like you would at school (And they make sure your funding lasts over two years!). Just tell them at the interview that you're really determined. If you are sitting any subjects at Standard Grade Credit, then aim for a pass!!! You need credits for higher, anyway.

Whats the most highers you can do at college?on website's it said 3-4 for going full time
    You can still do 5 at James Watt, but there might be a few clashes. I managed to fit Higher Englis, Maths, Human Biology, Chemistry and Psychology into my timetable at my interview... I think the Greenock campus only do Higher Biotechnology, I was gutted when I found out . They, like almost every other college, only offer Higher Human Biology and leave Biology at Int 2. Again, it really depends on the campus you're applying for :p:

They say 3 because generally colleges don't like people doing more than 3 highers due to all the pressure they put on you. Don't let that stop you though.

i really wanted to do the Higher Psychology is it hard? i would image so because you can't do it at school so no previous experience with it.

It's a horrible subject. Too many people take it expecting it to be really interesting and stuff, while it's just all about learning studies, analysing studies and writing long answers...there are also very, very limited resources for it, too. My friend is doing Int 2 Sociology though, and she's enjoying it.

i thought james watt had a lot of good subjects to choose from Biotechnology, Mathematics, Chemistry, Modern Studies, Drama, English, Physics, French, Psychology, Human Biology/Biology, Sociology.
    is it a good collage?

They offer philosphy too I think, I remember when I went, I was offered to take it as the head examiner taught there. The best way is to email the course leader and ask for a copy of the timetable OR go to the interview with a list of subjects you want to do, and they'll guide you on timings etc.

It's a very good college. Very modern, good labs and building. The best way is to visit yourself tho.

Once after a year there can i apply to uni?

Yup. But, it really depends on your chosen course requirments...I've included a UCAS course link in the 'useful links' bit.

do you have links to any websites for more info?

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/coursesearch/ - This allows you to search all the different courses offered by unis, see their entry requirments and such.
    http://www.jameswatt.ac.uk/data/jame...Prospectus.pdf - JW's prospectus, this might contain vital info about highers/int 2s.

http://www.jameswatt.ac.uk/funding/Default.aspx - Funding, shows all the steps involved in EMA.

http://www.learningatschool.net/ - Contains info on every Standard Grade/Int 1 2/Higher/AH Subjects, helpful for picking your courses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/learning/bitesize/higher/ - Revision for Highers, good for having a wee peek into the course content.

ReputationRep:
    The highers i was thinking about doing are Human Biology though i've never took biology for standard grade
    maybe english, Psychology ,Chemistry or biotech .The levels i'm doing english general,maths general,computing general,chemistry int 1,modern studies int 1,art general the campus greenock

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feo)
    The highers i was thinking about doing are Human Biology though i've never took biology for standard grade
    maybe english, Psychology ,Chemistry or biotech .The levels i'm doing english general,maths general,computing general,chemistry int 1,modern studies int 1,art general the campus greenock
    I suggest you do Int 2, I'm afraid. The jump from Credit/Int 2 is crazy enough...Psychology requires a lot of in depth thinking and essay writing skills which you gain from higher english, chemistry contains loads of credit/int 2 KU and Human Biology is a really, really REALLY big course...

It's up to you at the end of the day. But remember, it's one thing saying "I'll revise sooo much" and then applying that to real life. I wish I listened to myself ;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Hi

Pros
    Treated like an adult.
    Much more free time.
    Mature alot.
    Good prep for uni
    Much more fair.

Cons
    Teaching can be crappy.

Im there too!!!!!!!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.