Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do you go on about doing that? Big Time Help is needed

What has immensely helped me was to practice general communication skills with a friend.
    I'd recommend getting a close friend to help you with this. It's very helpful, easy, it's free, and it certainly does the job! Believe me, you won't believe how helpful it is.

-Try to maintain 100% eye contact with your friend whilst talking. I know it's difficult to look at someone in the eye, and talk at the same time. But try it. Usually, in the real world, you'd want to do 70% eye contact/30% looking away.

-Try to use clear hand gestures while you're talking, and also this offers you the chance to practice using vocabulary you don't normally use.

-Record a video, and try to maintain eye contact with the lens (As TV reporters do).

-Read out loud. And you can record your reading if you wish.

-Tell stories to your friend. This builds congruency and makes it seem more natural.

Those are my recommendations really. Whilst travelling, I had to communicate with alot of people, and generally it made things easier for me. Plus, it makes you a likeable person.

Also, don't forget to smile!

Best of luck.

- Smile

- Compliment (but keep it light and don't do it too often)

- Laugh (seriously, if you laugh, chances are, they'll laugh too and that builds rapor)

- Ask questions and if you know the person well, don't be afraid to ask deep ones

- If you can build up trust, let your guard down and talk about something personal. It gives that person a sense of responsibility and respect that you can trust them.

- If you're talking to someone you don't know, don't be the one to be passive, say Hi, start up a conversation, put yourself out there.

I may have been addressing 'social skills' rather than 'communication skills', but I hope some of it overlapped.

Thanks people. I will try my best to follow what you all've said.
    I was wondering if there are any sites like news or music which will introduce me to new vocabularies as well as how they put in practice?
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.