Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have my initial interview (RAF) on 7th Jan. I've put Intelligence down as my first option and supply as my second. Anyone got any hints or tips for interview, or if I make it that far, for Cranwell?

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie Pierce)
    I have my initial interview (RAF) on 7th Jan. I've put Intelligence down as my first option and supply as my second. Anyone got any hints or tips for interview, or if I make it that far, for Cranwell?

Cheers!
    Strange as this may sound. Act intelligent. Sorry to state the obvious. Also... you may wish to be inquisitive, yet not overly interested in things. Be able to give a good description of the rooms you were previously in etc. Take note of what a secretary etc is wearing, and if given the chance, ask about any peculiarity you may have found. The way the brass buttons sparkle etc. Stuff like that. Most of all, try to act and appear comfortable. Know your subject and you'll do fine. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:

I had my 1st interview last week, i'm applying for Supply (I did think about Intelligence but didn't really know exactly what they do?!!!).

The interview at the AFCO covered everything from where I was born to the present day - so for me that was where i'd lived, GCSE's, A-Levels, Uni and going travelling, hobbies and sprots etc. Also a few q's on the RAF, like what fast jets they have, where they have bases abroad, what haopens at OASC and IOT etc...nothing too scary if you do your homework!

Can I ask why you chose Intelligence? I know its quite popular.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Sire)
    Strange as this may sound. Act intelligent. Sorry to state the obvious. Also... you may wish to be inquisitive, yet not overly interested in things. Be able to give a good description of the rooms you were previously in etc. Take note of what a secretary etc is wearing, and if given the chance, ask about any peculiarity you may have found. The way the brass buttons sparkle etc. Stuff like that. Most of all, try to act and appear comfortable. Know your subject and you'll do fine. Hope this helps.
    The RAF doesn't ask anything like that. They won't suddenly ask you what the candidate's waiting area looks like; that's nonsense.

Drop me an email if you've got any specific questions at [email protected]. I passed selection a long time ago, but worked at OASC just last year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to wish I'd kept some of my hobbies going from school now!

Thank goodness that first reply wasn't serious, I was rather worried for a minute...

Supply is down as my second option, and I have friends who currently work in supply, so if you want to know anything specific give me a shout. I chose Intelligence because it sounded really interesting - however am now having the same difficulties trying to get more information... So am starting to stress a bit! Never know, might see you at Cranwell yet!

Thanks for your help

Katie

ReputationRep:
    Supply is down as my second option, and I have friends who currently work in supply, so if you want to know anything specific give me a shout. I chose Intelligence because it sounded really interesting - however am now having the same difficulties trying to get more information... So am starting to stress a bit! Never know, might see you at Cranwell yet!

Thanks for your help

Katie
    Katie, would love to hear any info on Supply...you can email me at [email protected]

As long as you don't have any gaps in your life when you didn't do anything for ages, (like in summers, or gap yrs), you'll be fine.

Fingers crossed for Cranwell!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Ha Ha Ha....Walter Mitty springs to mind!

For IntO you need to put some real effort into your preparation...learn everything about the RAF, NATO, Operations etc etc etc.

When you talk about Current Affairs etc, make sure you provide some intelligent OPINION about it...make sure you understand the wider implications of events etc.

ReputationRep:

Cheers!
    Hi Katie, I had my interview today for Intelligence officer, how did yours go? I am already an intelligence analyst in the RAF, but i am going through my commission stages at the moment.

Where abouts did you have your interview? one i had a couple of questions that i forgot to ask as well, like, I know that every year the AFCO's have a certain quota of people they need to push through for their commission, i wondered how many that was, and if they had met it yet, as i know that the 'new year' for the resetting the quota's back to zero is April, and have they already filled filled the spaces? Is our timing good or bad?!?!?

If you find out any more info, please let me know, and i will of course return the favour!

Good luck with your result,

James Fulton.

ReputationRep:
    James Fulton,

If you check her profile, her last activity was 2 weeks ago so she's unlikely to see this.

It'd be best for you to Private Message her through her profile and hope she has e-mail alerts on so she'll come back here to read it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, much appreciated!.

ReputationRep:
    And it worked!
    If I find out any info, I will let you know. It's looking tricky at the moment, so I'm just learning what general stuff (NATO, RAF, Weapons etc) I can... Think you've got an advantage on me there! Let's just hope that numbers are down for now, and that they need lots! Let me know if you're going to Cranwell, good luck

ReputationRep:
    Katie, have you heard from Cranwell yet? I had my AFCO interview 2 weeks before xmas and I still haven't heard! I don't think I can wait anymore it's too nerve wracking!

Im hoping they are in desperate need for Supply Officers!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't, but I work in an office and there are always horrible backlogs after the Christmas break! Had my interview just over a week ago, but I'll know not to stress if it's taking a while for them to get in touch! I passed your email on to my mate who works in supply (hope you don't mind?!), he's away on an exercise at the minute, but let me know when your interview is and I'll start harrassing him to get in touch!

Good luck

Katie x

ReputationRep:
    Don't lie about anything, no matter what. They will most likely do a background check on you to give you sectret ot top secret cleareance.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by dakhal)
    Don't lie about anything, no matter what. They will most likely do a background check on you to give you sectret ot top secret cleareance.
    Everyone goes through developed vetting to become an Int officer; this means those of you expecting sponsorship can assume it'll take a very long time to sort you out. All officers are at least cleared to secret, but this doesn't require DV. I can't remember off hand, but all aircrew officers used to go through DV on the approach to the front line.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by James Fulton)
    i know that the 'new year' for the resetting the quota's back to zero is April, and have they already filled filled the spaces? Is our timing good or bad?!?!?
    They're not quite so hard and fast on quotas like that; while they may have so many in a year to get through, it's a constantly rolling system without a break, so they'll happily put you onto next year's pile. And if you're applying at the sort of time where you'll be likely to need consideration in the next financial year, you'll find that hanging around until the next financial year's IOTs won't take too long.

ReputationRep:
    I've had to fill in all the security forms, but don't think there's anything to worry about...
    Does anyone know how long it takes, if you are successful at Cranwell, before starting IOT? Is there one intake per year, or are there a few? Just wondering how long I'm going to have to stay in my current job!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Does anyone know how long it takes, if you are successful at Cranwell, before starting IOT? Is there one intake per year, or are there a few? Just wondering how long I'm going to have to stay in my current job!
    There are three squadrons at IOT: B, C and D. Each course starts as the "junior course" and works for 4 weeks doing basic military skills with the Regiment Training Squadron. On week 5, you join your squadron; whichever one doesn't have a course. End of week 8, the senior squadron graduate, and the Monday after that the junior and intermediate squadrons move up one, and a new course begins with RTS.

The point of this is that there's currently a new intake every 8 weeks. October and April are C sqn, December and June are B sqn, and February and August are D sqn.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    ... which didn't really answer your question. You'll be asked in some bit of paperwork when's the earliest you can start. Apart from the August and October entries which tend to be full of UAS bursary holders who have just graduated, there's no reason why you couldn't start on the next.

IntOs do need developed vetting though, and that's a process measured in months rather than weeks. You might get on a June course, depending on when they started that; maybe April if you're lucky (doubly so; C sqn), maybe October if you're unlucky.

ReputationRep:
    Go for a C Sqn entry....it's the party squadron :cool:

Whilst there are basic limitations on numbers for each branch, it is mostly a case of being very competative in comparison with the other people who seeking that branch. This means that you not only have to pass OASC, but you've also got to amongst the best.....

Very Competative Branches: PEdo, IntO

Competative Branches: Pilot, WSO (although med and aptitude weeds a lot of aircrew candidates out), Regt.

'Busy' Branches: Admin Sec, Supply, Provost, ATC.

Non Competative Branches: Engineer, Fighter Controller*, Admin (Catering)

*Note: If you're over-riding aim is too become an RAF Officer, regardless of Branch - it's worth making sure that Fighter Controller is one of your six possible choices!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.