Turn on thread page Beta

Can I stop taking antibiotics? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodLife)
    I was told to take them for 7 days but that was when I thought it might be an infection
    If you were told to take antibiotics for 7 days, you need to take them for 7 days. It doesn't matter if you think you didn't have the infection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    he wouldn't have prescribed them if he didn't think they were needed, they dont hand out antibiotics like sweets
    My doctor does, I more or less get what I ring up and ask for.

ReputationRep:
    Don't ask people and then complain about the general opinion.
    Ask a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    Finish The Course, Filth.

ReputationRep:

right.

well stopping and starting antibiotics regardless of an infection or not can be bad for YOU and others in future illnesses..so finish that course, or die :cool:

I started a course of antibiotics a few days ago Im half way through the course but they are not making me any better the gp said I had an allergy. So I came home and my aunty whos a nurse then told me to ask for some antibiotics because my nose was so stuffy and I had an ulcer on my throat she said it was a bacterial infection. So I rang the gp's and asked for a prescription of antibiotics I was given a 7 day course. I was wondering can't I reduce the course since I know I don't have an infection its clearly an allergy as the doctor said..

Ive been taking them for 3 and half days now ive been on 4 a day.
    Take 5 days then stop.
    Strap the remaining pills to a rock and throw it at your aunty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    Take 5 days then stop.
    Strap the remaining pills to a rock and throw it at your aunty.

she wasn't the one who prescribed them tho :rolleyes: more like through at the doctor who hands out abx's over telephone request

ReputationRep:
    They're not doing you any harm, there's no point in stopping them now. Better to finish (as above from everyone else, finish them!!)

ReputationRep:
    but if Ive no bacteria infection to start with how can it be for my sake?
    since when were you a qualified doctor capable of diagnosis?

ReputationRep:
    Listen to everyone here. Listen to the Doctor. Don't listen to your aunty. Don't write your own prescriptions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    since when were you a qualified doctor capable of diagnosis?
    what have I diagnosed? Ive not been diagnosed with an infection.

ReputationRep:
    what have I diagnosed? Ive not been diagnosed with an infection.
    They must have at least thought there was a reasonable chance you had an infection or they wouldn't have given you antibiotics. There's being soft on giving them out, and then there's being plain stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    They must have at least thought there was a reasonable chance you had an infection or they wouldn't have given you antibiotics. There's being soft on giving them out, and then there's being plain stupid.
    Probably, anyway Im on my last day and they didn't work lol my nose is still stuffed the gp said it was allergic rhinitis I hope its not chronic :o:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.