Turn on thread page Beta

tsr - i need your help watch

ReputationRep:
    i don't know what to do. my motivation for the past couple of weeks (while i've been away from tsr, incidentally) has been really bad.

i go to my lessons, but i feel like i'm not there. all my work (reading and homework mainly) has piled up and it's so depressing, i just don't know what to do

i try to work, but i get distracted by the most insignificant thing, then i stay up really late trying to work, but i still don't do any. i have so much to do, and i need to get good grades :cry:

is there any advice you could give me?

thanksss

p.s. i'd rep but some kind souls felt the need to give me a red gem for stating my opinion. typical.

ReputationRep:
    bump lol

ReputationRep:
    I would say grow a pair and get on with it, but I know how u feel, sometimes it's difficult to get on with really boring stuff. I tend to be one of those people who leaves it to the last minute befor I get motivated to do anything.
    Just try to force yourself to get on with something and you should get into it eventually - unless its essays or **** - cos that sucks :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alieg)
    I would say grow a pair and get on with it, but I know how u feel, sometimes it's difficult to get on with really boring stuff. I tend to be one of those people who leaves it to the last minute befor I get motivated to do anything.
    Just try to force yourself to get on with something and you should get into it eventually - unless its essays or **** - cos that sucks :yep:
    it's mostly mathsy stuff, but there's also lots of reading

but thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    I agree with alieg, its hard to get motivated a lot of the time its stuff you have to do: work! Just get on with it, stay up late to fininsh the work if you need to and just be tired the next, then sack up and just do your work so you can relax!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xands)
    I agree with alieg, its hard to get motivated a lot of the time its stuff you have to do: work! Just get on with it, stay up late to fininsh the work if you need to and just be tired the next, then sack up and just do your work so you can relax!
    i can never relax

my work never ends

ReputationRep:
    Try and go somewhere away from distractions and keep telling yourself you'll only screw yourself over if you don't do the work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Try and go somewhere away from distractions and keep telling yourself you'll only screw yourself over if you don't do the work.
    you mean to do my work?

i use the computer quite a lot in my work, and i often get distracted by the internet (as i'm sure most people do), but i'm not sure how i can use the internet for my work without getting distracted? i could trying blocking my most visited websites, like myspace perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    Clear your desk, and make it tidy with everything that you need so that you don't have to keep getting up to get stuff.

And reward yourself, like if you get your x work done you can watch your favorite tv show, or whatever you like doing. Failure to do it means you can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dichr0ic)
    you mean to do my work?

i use the computer quite a lot in my work, and i often get distracted by the internet (as i'm sure most people do), but i'm not sure how i can use the internet for my work without getting distracted? i could trying blocking my most visited websites, like myspace perhaps?
    Yeah that's what I meant.

I have to as well. I go on the websites I wanna go on before I do my work so I'm not tempted when I do it. You could also block them or go somewhere where they're already blocked if there's a filter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smile09)
    Clear your desk, and make it tidy with everything that you need so that you don't have to keep getting up to get stuff.

And reward yourself, like if you get your x work done you can watch your favorite tv show, or whatever you like doing. Failure to do it means you can't.
    my desk is always tidy. it is the sierra leonean way.

i like this idea. i tend to do both at the same time, so my concentration is poor and i end up doing next to nothing. i think i'll try this!

(Original post by hannah_dru)
    I have to as well. I go on the websites I wanna go on before I do my work so I'm not tempted when I do it. You could also block them or go somewhere where they're already blocked if there's a filter.
    i'll have to look for some kind of filter then, maybe a fiefox addon or something

:getmecoat: ttyl!

ReputationRep:
    Go and speak to your on site counsellor and a GP. I'm no expert but it sounds like you could be dealing with depression of some kind.

If you're just being lazy then that's your choice but know that it will catch up with you in a bad way in the future if you don't put the work in now. Think yourself lucky you have such an opportunity and make the most of it.

ReputationRep:
    :sigh: Man up and get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    You need to set yourself targets, goals and scare yourself a little bit. When I get demotivated I take a look at my dream car and job and tell myself over and over if I really want them I'll have to get this work done. Put up posters of things you really want out of life. Usually works.
    Also imagining life on the streets and struggling to get a job as a cleaner works pretty well too.

Maybe you could put up a progress chart, so you see how far away you are from passing. I noticed it's easier for me to motivate myself when I know exactly how much work I have to put in to reach a pass. For instance, I know I only have to culmunitively get 124% from my last 3 further maths exams (or 41% each) to pass, but obviously I'll be going for much higher. But the fact I know I have a cushion because I did well in previous exams boosts my confidence and motivation, try that yourself, see what happens. :bl:

ReputationRep:
    The best advice I can give you is to treat it like a job (working 9-5, preferably longer during the night). Go somewhere outside of your house to work like a library or a computer lab and don't leave there until a set time; get all your things done within that time and come home looking forward to bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikejpb)
    The best advice I can give you is to treat it like a job (working 9-5, preferably longer during the night). Go somewhere outside of your house to work like a library or a computer lab and don't leave there until a set time; get all your things done within that time and come home looking forward to bed.
    Go with this and the rewarding yourself system. So, if you know certain bits of work should take x amount of time, set yourself that amount of time to do them. Hopefully that way, once you've got through the backlog, you'll be able to fit everything in and then have your evenings free. Another way is to reward yourself with a day off or the weekend. If you get everything done in the week, you can have the weekend off. If you plan something to do at the weekend it will give you even more incentive to finish your work in the week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 345)
    Go with this and the rewarding yourself system. So, if you know certain bits of work should take x amount of time, set yourself that amount of time to do them. Hopefully that way, once you've got through the backlog, you'll be able to fit everything in and then have your evenings free. Another way is to reward yourself with a day off or the weekend. If you get everything done in the week, you can have the weekend off. If you plan something to do at the weekend it will give you even more incentive to finish your work in the week.
    great!!! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Get motivating music on it always helps me

ReputationRep:
    do past year papers. That's always a good form of preparation, as you get used to the type of questions and the format. Alternately, study or practise the topics you are weakest at. Even if you dont enjoy it you will be more relieved on exam day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    Get motivating music on it always helps me
    such as? i have no idea what constitutes motivating music - i don't listen to music much :angelblush:

(Original post by Fyodor Bingoffsky)
    do past year papers. That's always a good form of preparation, as you get used to the type of questions and the format. Alternately, study or practise the topics you are weakest at. Even if you dont enjoy it you will be more relieved on exam day.
    i think it's a little early for past papers, i still have so much content to cover! i alluded to this in my op :fyi:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.