Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm just looking for some advice as to what to do. I've been with my boyfriend for just under two years, I'm 22, he's 29 and trust him completely with everything so thats not so much an issue regarding the docs.

I've had an eating disorder for about 5 years now, bordering underweight but try not to focus on that now with help and my own focus and drive. Thing is I see docs frequently as well as psychotherapist and my boyfriend is completely behind wanting me to recover and be able to relax a little and be a bit 'normal'. He wants to come to my appointment with me on Friday. I have made many excuses with previous appointments and keep putting it off. Thing is with this appointment I'm not making excuses, its just I started taking some pills which I've stopped now after a bad reaction. I ended up in hospital last week, just for a day with uncontrollable vomiting, diarrhea and all sorts of other symptoms as a result of the pills. He had to drive me to hospital and almost carry me as I was unable to walk and I know it killed him to see me in such a state.

Thing is at the initial contact I told the nurse/ doc what happened without my boyfriend present and later called him with me when they told me they're keeping me in for a bit so he doesn't know it was cos of the pills, rather, believing it was due to gastritis attack which i do suffer and did but was caused by the pills. I want to see the doc alone this time so we can talk about it all without me holding back on the pills part. I wouldn't mind my bf joining if it wasn't for this. He's seen me in many bad states and if he realises it was my stupid fault for taking the pills he will be really distraught. Tbh I don't know now why I was so sillly. I have so much support but its really scary to move forward. I don't mind him coming to later appointments but just this one I don't cos I don't want him to find out about me taking the pills which I have stopped now but I know it will hurt him alot and want to save him from that.

Anyone ever been in a similar position? Any ideas how I could persuade my boyfriend to come to another appontment but not this one, I see them almost weekly so the waits not so much a problem. He's just more insistent now of attending after seeing me so ill last week and is actually scared for me. He's an absolute gem of a man and know he just wants to see me better, I just want to save him from the hurt of finding out last week was all my fault. The general care plan with docs though I'm happy for him to attend and speak to the docs by all means.

Any help or insight will be appreciated : )

I'm sorry to hear about your eating disorder :hugs: good luck with recovery - the hard work is so worth it!

If you don't want him to come with you this time, then just say so and if you don't mind him coming later, then offer that instead. However, I personally would never allow a boyfriend to go with me, I view it as a very personal thing, but if you're okay with it, then do so.

What pills were they? I'm sure it will calm him down a bit actually, as he'll know that there was a definite cause, something that isn't going to be around any more.

I know this is a week after you posted, so it's probably been and gone, but I though I'd reply anyway.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2010
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.