Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

should I be weight training while losing fat? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm a little confused on all the research I have been doing for losing fat / gaining muscle, and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my questions.

I'm 70kg and 5ft 10" tall and 22 years old. I play football competitivly about 4-5 times so I'd like to think I have quite good cardiovascular fitness although I was eating a lot of crap like mcdonalds, pizzas.. lots of fast food. I have stopped this now so I'm eating lots of fruit/veg and trying to keep protien intake higher, but keeping calories down by about 500 per day to normal intake etc...

I want to get bigger but I also want to see my abs, so what I'm doing currently is trying to get bf% down till I can see them and then gain muscle after, is this the correct way to do it?

If so, should I be doing weight lifting right now? as I've heard that there is no point doing it as I won't gain any muscle while trying to lose weight. Should I just stick to cardio for now?

Thanks!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you want to gain muscle then do weight training, if you just want to lose fat then it isn't necessary, however would help.

(Original post by ahmnasa)
    If so, should I be doing weight lifting right now? as I've heard that there is no point doing it as I won't gain any muscle while trying to lose weight. Should I just stick to cardio for now?
    The bit in bold is ********. You just might not see the gains in muscle you make until you shift some of the excess fat, but you will still build muscle.

ReputationRep:
    Muscle growth without excess calories will be very slow.

ReputationRep:
    The way to get visible abs is to reduce bodyfat. Yes, you should still do weights whilst cutting or you'll lose the muscle you do have.

But as above, to gain muscle is going to be very hard without a calorific excess, which will result in you putting on some bodyfat.

So cutting, then bulking, is pretty pointless. Either you want a six pack, or you want to be bigger. Or you want to get bigger and THEN cut and try to get a six pack. But that's not a fast option, which it seems like you want.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you should be lifting whilst dieting.

so you can maintain as much muscle as you can.

Dieting with just cardio results in loss of fat AND muscle tissue.

ReputationRep:
    NEVER STOP LIFTING WEIGHTS.

EVER.

If you're cutting, LIFT. If you're bulking, LIFT. It's the best way to maintain muscle whilst cutting, not to mention it burns a good amount of calories too.

If you cut without lifting, even if you think you don't have much muscle now, you will lose muscle.

ReputationRep:
    doing that much footie training...plus weights 2-3 times a week and a decent diet you won't need to lessen your calories...just eat a cleaner diet and increase calories and you will loose fat while gaining muscle. Just do starting strength with weights for 6 months and see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    The way to get visible abs is to reduce bodyfat. Yes, you should still do weights whilst cutting or you'll lose the muscle you do have.

But as above, to gain muscle is going to be very hard without a calorific excess, which will result in you putting on some bodyfat.

So cutting, then bulking, is pretty pointless. Either you want a six pack, or you want to be bigger. Or you want to get bigger and THEN cut and try to get a six pack. But that's not a fast option, which it seems like you want.
    I disagree if he's doing football training 4-5 times a week...eats a clean and balanced diet and increases calories plus does weight....he'll gain muscle and lose fat.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies.

What I was worried about is when I'm building muscle, I wouldn't be losing fat and that's why I was going to lose it first.

So based on what I'm reading, I shouldn't really cut down on calories but up it, and just eat clean while lifting weights and this will allow me to lose fat at the same time?

Also if my daily calories to maintain weight is 2500 for example, should I eat 3000? or is that too much of an increase?

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.