Tipping - What's the point? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Seabiscuit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hello,

Now as you people may know, it is "customary" to tip waiters at restaurants and probably a few other people but mainly that example. Why is this? They probably work as hard as anybody else and its part of their job to be friendly and courteous anyway so why should you give them extra money for doing so? When they write on the receipt that gratuity is 10% or something, I think they're taking the mick.

What's more, when people just tip regardless because its good ettiquete or something - Some waiters have been downright rude, served up crappy-average food, hardly made an effort to please you and look rather annoyed when you don't tip them.

I'd only really consider a tip if they go beyond the call of duty, such as cutting my food up and feeding me, cleaning my shoes whilst I eat, brushing my teeth afterwards, doing a great stand up routine, do an essay for me or giving me a massage and the girl is particulary attractive...
hypomania
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No idea sorry :p:
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
In the States, I'm fairly certain that the basic wage of most servers doesn't even come close to making a sustainable wage. So the tipping culture is a necessity.

That culture has made its way over here and, while not as important as across the pond, I always tip. Usually just a small amount, but more if I feel the service was brilliant. ETA: If the waiter/waitress was rude and incompetent, he or she wouldn't get a tip from me. But that's never happened.

...any waiters/waitresses here able to tell us more about how important tips are? As in does it go beyond extra pocket money on top of adequate wages?
zhivago
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I tip because it's polite. Yes, other people in their professions are polite so perhaps, on that basis, they too should be tipped, but it's just routine to tip waiters/waitresses isn't it.

If they've worked hard, and done a good service, I'll leave a tip, as I say it's manners, in my opinion. And no, they don't have to be kind and corteous to you - as you yourself have said:

Some waiters have been downright rude, served up crappy-average food, hardly made an effort to please you and look rather annoyed when you don't tip them
So obviously not all of them are pleasant. If they are nice and offer a good service, I will tip. If they are really nice and offer an excellent service I will tip more. If they are horrid and rude I will not tip - easy enough.

Plus, it's not the nicest job in the world, so they deserve to be tipped!
dogtanian
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by zhivago)
I tip because it's polite. Yes, other people in their professions are polite so perhaps, on that basis, they too should be tipped, but it's just routine to tip waiters/waitresses isn't it.
Haha, my friend at work (we work in retail) was standing by the door greeting customers and saying goodbye to the ones leaving, and one bloke hands her a two pound coin. Confused, she said thank you and told us all about it.

Our regional manager told her to share it with everyone, but that would've been unworkable and stupid. Besides, the bloke obviously thought that she deserved it...
bikerx23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I agree with you personally - the whole point of a tip is to show your satisfaction or dissatisfaction with the service you recieved, and conversely the quality of the meal aswell.
Therefore, it does appear ridiculous that you are obliged to pay a set rate at some establishments, since it is meant to be related to how you feel were treated, and if the waitor/waitress knows their getting their tips anyway, why do they need to bother putting in effort to impress you.
Also, the thing that annoyed me that i worked as a wine waitor for 6 months last year, and despite waiting tables i was classed as a barman, therefore for some reason was not entitled to tips - despite the fact that the maitre'd at said restaurant did...and all he had to to was show people to their seats....
sorry - you may have realised i am slightly p*ssed at this still, but it is a liberty people should not be able to take.
need_money
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've never been to a restaurant where i personally has had to pay for it but in taxis i never tip unless they managed to get me where i want ultra ultra quick and i'm feeling generous. Whereas some of my mates think you should always tip them. ^o)
dogtanian
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by bikerx23)
I agree with you personally - the whole point of a tip is to show your satisfaction or dissatisfaction with the service you recieved, and conversely the quality of the meal aswell.

The wait staff have no control over what the kitchen produces. So you can't penalise them for that...
Seabiscuit
Rep:
?
Nah, regarding it being polite, who made it 'polite' say to tip your waiter but not anybody else who offers service to you - its one of those things that nobody really knows the reason for here, other than conforming to social ettiquette.

I keep hearing its a terrible job/poor job, pig, theres lots of crappy jobs in the world - even crappier ones than being waiters believe it or not - they chose to take up waiting so they should be prepared to take the crap that comes with it. Does anyone tip in Mcdonalds, does anyone tip their refuse collector (dustman)? Those are just two off the top of my head...
HearTheThunder
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Why's it called a tip?

Surely if you wanted to be comically ambiguous you would give them tips on life (i.e. quit your job).
Seabiscuit
Rep:
?
Nope. Is it any good?
dogtanian
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well, I tip taxi drivers and the hairdresser (+saturday girl who washes my hair).
That's a few more people.

And, like I said, the odd person tips retail staff too
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by dogtanian)
The wait staff have no control over what the kitchen produces. So you can't penalise them for that...
That is true, but i still do so because the restaurants in the area around me share the tips equally between all the elements of food service, including washing up.etc.etc., which means everyone has the incentive to work hard and produce a better meal for their client (i personally believe this the best method), therefore in these circumstances it is fair to tip on this criterium.
Sync
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
We always tip our dustmen at Christmas. Lovely chaps, always take away stuff that they're not really obliged to.
at least lara
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
TIPS- To Insure Prompt Service .

At least that's what my dad says :rolleyes:- I have a tendency to over-tip though, I feel bad ....
dogtanian
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by xBeLLax)
TIPS- To Insure Prompt Service .

(Not true)

Like how POSH isn't Port Out Starboard Home. It got added later.
Seabiscuit
Rep:
?
If they make a crappy meal or don't get great service, people just won't eat there again and they'll lose business until they raise their standards, same as any other business really - don't see how tipping should be any sort of incentive.

Here's one for you, what if you're a poor student or you earn less than a waiter, should you still tip and leave you even more out of pocket and leave the waiter better off just because you've saved up loads just to eat out?
Sweyn Forkbeard
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You give me a tip so I don't spit on your food. It also encourages me to give good service.

That said, I'm a function waiter so I don't get tips.

When I'm porter however...
Lychgate
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by dogtanian)
(Not true)

Like how POSH isn't Port Out Starboard Home. It got added later.
Correct, since it would be "ensure" not "insure" anyway.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
when your the 16 year old saturday girl trying to make a few quid it makes a huge difference - you dont directly care about the future of the company aslong as your there, so the owners appeal to your pocket and you work hard - its as simple as that...
This does follow my belief that some people are just generally unmotivated regarding the majority of work aspects, despite what they're doing, so my comments may appear slightly jaded as a result though...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (78)
19.31%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (163)
40.35%
Nope, not that interesting (163)
40.35%

Watched Threads