Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lychgate)
    Correct, since it would be "ensure" not "insure" anyway.
    Indeed. Americans seem to use insure and ensure interchangeably.

ReputationRep:
    Will mate, you wouldn't spit on my food because by the time I've decided not to tip ya, I've already tucked in and i'm on my way out the door probably 'tipping' the busker on the way home

PS: Anyone tipped a worker in Mcdonalds yet after great service?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I've seen some great Mcdonalds staff who've served with a smile, brought my food over, brought condiments over and entertained children and i'm sure they get paid a lot less than waiters in a job which is undoubtedly a lot more difficult to be enthusiastic than waiting.

Waiters RARELY if all make service personal other than basically doing what they were trained for i.e. "Remember to say this, remember to say that, try and make the customer feel welcome" - as I said, personal service would asking if I'd like a massage and then giving me one, cutting my food up and asking if my shoes need polishing and getting on their hands and knees and doing so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seabiscuit)
    Will mate, you wouldn't spit on my food because by the time I've decided not to tip ya, I've already tucked in and i'm on my way out the door probably 'tipping' the busker on the way home

PS: Anyone tipped a worker in Mcdonalds yet after great service?
    Word gets around about stingy tippers - don't you worry about that.

Thankfully, I'm always tipped when I'm on a tippable job. I got £10 once for taking 3 bags up to a room for a guy in a wheelchair and his wife. They were going on a North Atlantic cruise to Greenland and Iceland, so I chatted with them a little about Greenland's independence etc. I think that might have got me the tip.

ReputationRep:
    I usually help people out though, not out of selfish motives like gaining tips, but out of courtesy...

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm not fake when I'm waiting or portering, but I suppose I am more friendly than usual. Small talk is key. Of course I'm courteous too!

ReputationRep:
    do people always tip their hairdresser?

ReputationRep:
    I only tip when the service is exceptionally good or bad, ironically the best service I ever recieved was when in China but it's illegal to tip over there - mainly for the reasons outlined by the original poster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herleif Arkadios)
    Never. Is it typical to tip them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will)
    Never. Is it typical to tip them?
    yeah, cause they remember u when u go back

ReputationRep:
    Most waiters/waitresses seem to get good enough wages without needing tips here. I don't really tip, and they don't really seem to expect it. I can only think of one or two times I have done it in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Meh... my tips reflect the quality of service. If it was crap then I leave no tip at all, if it was fantastic (somewhere like TGI Fridays) then i'll leave lots

Theres worse jobs, and if they can't manage to smile then they ought to be fired, let alone tipped. :rolleyes:
    Besides, they get paid just as much as the poor sods in McDonald's kitchens...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I do. My mum was a hairdresser and she's drilled it into me.

ReputationRep:
    In the UK, you do it to prove you're grateful for the service but if you're not then there's no point of tipping. In North America, it's a totally different story as waiters/waitresses/barmen get taxed on tips whether you give them a tip or not. The tax office basically predicts that a waiter will receive an average amount of tips per hour and is taxed accordingly. To not tip in North America is like insulting the worker. As a waiter, you can sometimes get an hourly salary of 2$ of hour as they know that you will receive tips. You count on the tips to make a living. In the UK, you count on the tips for a bit more and you probably have to make more of an effort to deserve that tip.

In the UK, it's not that extreme. It's a means of thanking a worker for their service and a job well done. If you're not particularly pleased, no need to leave a tip.

ReputationRep:
    I do because she's hot and gives me a head massage.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a waitress, and I earn a decent enough wage without tips. But it really does depend on who's working/their moods as to the amount. We collect all our tips up, and share them out equally in our restaurant. Chef and all. So in that respect, it does reflect on his cooking, because he does get the tip. But, if one waitress is being downright rude, and moody, yet another is being extremely nice and helpful and really making the effort, do you leave a tip?

I personally don't need tips to supplement my wages, I never get anywhere near enough that I could! I usually find that few people will leave tips. Over the course of an evening, 70-80 meals served, about £20-30 is left between them. What I dislike, is the attitude that people should leave tips, from those in the kitchen etc. Tips aren't as important as I'm sure they used to be..

ReputationRep:
    watch teh start of reservoir dogs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    I do because she's hot and gives me a head massage.
    Mine's also hot, but they already charge quite a lot...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    The wait staff have no control over what the kitchen produces. So you can't penalise them for that...
    Where I work any tips from food service are split with the chefs, they do the hard part so they get rewarded.

When I'm on the bar and its been a really rubbish night its brilliant to get a tip because it motivates you just that little bit more to keep going, even though you're being abused by the other customers. Plus at only £4.50 an hour any extra income is gratefully recieved!

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do, because my hair is such a pain to do they fully deserve it!

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.