Turn on thread page Beta

Who is the best to parent - boys or girls? watch

ReputationRep:
    Girls are more willing to please and likely to help you around the house or do what you/the teachers say when they're young. But when they get to be teenagers, I'd be so worried! They're secretive and sneaky and could get into all kinds of trouble with the wrong kinds of people without you knowing. I'd hate to be some of my friends' parents when they were teenagers...

Boys are more trouble when they're younger, less likely to want to help you or do what their teachers say, more desctructive and likely to break things around the house just for fun. But once they get older they're simpler and less likely to make you worry - less secretive and more openly lazy/troublesome than girls are, which means at least you have an idea what is going on with them even if it's not all good.

That's just my parents' general experience with my siblings and me, two girls, two boys.
    I want both really. I think it would be easier to have a son first though for some reason, then a girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    This tbh.

I was a bit of a nightmare when younger, but my sister's still a stroppy bugger, and she's 20 now!
    Monthly hormones innit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Boys. More playful and rough and ready, which is what I like. Worry less about them getting pregnant when they're teenagers. Boys more of a physical challenge, girls more of a mental challenge? I'd do better with the physical, imo.

Also, CONGRATULATIONS!
    I've heard this argument before. However boys are worse off in the pregnancy arena than girls. Boys can be tricked into fatherhood (e.g. girl pretends she's on the pill, or condom sabotaged). I find that scary!

P.S. Thanks for the congrats

ReputationRep:
    Lads. Girls are so *****y and behave a hell of a lot worse than boys. Plus girls are ****s most of the time and you don't want to raise a ****, do you?

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine, when they are very young. Boys are difficult. But Girls get more difficult to parent as they get older. The trick i believe is some brilliant parenting very early in the childs life, when they get older it can be too late. So many people have bad personality traits as a direct result of bad parenting.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I've just replied to this in the P&P soc, but to answer your question on here, I've found that boys and girls play up equally whilst out in public. If anything Lydia has the edge over Alex to be honest.

Example :

in a restaurant, Alex is more likely to sit quietly and just refuse to eat his dinner. He won't make a fuss about it, he sits nice and calmly, he just won't eat. Or very little anyway.

Lydia is more likely to eat all her dinner, but whilst constantly throwing herself off her chair, asking 986738495 times to be taken to the toilet, spilling her drink, kicking her shoes off under the table, turning around on her chair, and generally being a pain in the butt. But she gets the dinner eaten.

Which is better? I dunno. A pest who eats, or an angel that starves himself? lol

They're all nice, and they're all nuisances, whichever way you look at it lol

ReputationRep:
    You guys know that a decent proportion of girls don't even like pink, barbie dolls etc.? Just because they're girls it doesn't mean you can't do fun stuff with them :rolleyes: There's plenty of tomboys around! In the same way, not all boys like football and Action Men...

ReputationRep:
    Both? I don't think you can pick favourites that easily - just as you couldn't necessarily say if you loved your mum or your dad more. I'd want variety both a girl and boy.

But I guess I'd prefer a girl first because, as others have said, she'd be easier to handle and would prepare us for the boy. Then the boy would prepare us for the teenage girl.

ReputationRep:
    Another thought, I work as a care assistant and the majority of the relatives who visit the residents are female, usually the daughter. In many cases the sons totally ignore their parents while the daughters are much less likely to. In one case a lady is visited at least 3 times a week (usually more like 5) by her daughter but has only been visited once (the day of his dad's funeral) by her son and he lives closer! He didn't even visit his father who was terminally ill while he was with us.

So in the long term you could say its better to have daughters because they won't forget about you when you're old.

ReputationRep:
    I'd prefer a boy lol
    They're funner and I find them cuter.

ReputationRep:
    A boy, i never had a brother so having a boy we can fool around and i can take him to places and all that, we can also perv at random girls- only if he doesnt tell his mom :ninja:, besides with a girl you are bound to fight off guys when she turns into a teenager, and she starts to think she is all grown up............... if my baby mama gives me a girl, ill go all henry the viii on her :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    Another thought, I work as a care assistant and the majority of the relatives who visit the residents are female, usually the daughter. In many cases the sons totally ignore their parents while the daughters are much less likely to. In one case a lady is visited at least 3 times a week (usually more like 5) by her daughter but has only been visited once (the day of his dad's funeral) by her son and he lives closer! He didn't even visit his father who was terminally ill while he was with us.

So in the long term you could say its better to have daughters because they won't forget about you when you're old.
    Lol you can't make a vast generalization like that. True, it is more likely the girl will be more likely to take care of the parent, but still the majority of boys don't behave like that. The majority of boys would still care for their parent if they were will and dying. Only a small minority would behave like the person you described.

ReputationRep:
    I can only speak from my experience of having one girl. I was glad to find out I was having a girl as my sister and I are very close to our mum, so am looking forward to doing all the girly stuff with my little one, plus it's fun buying lots of pretty stuff for her I don't think I would have been disappointed with a boy, but I would have felt like I didn't know what to do with him lol, as I have no brothers or younger male relatives.
    My mum says she is glad she had two girls, having helped bring up countless younger siblings of both sexes, but my mother-in-law had two boys and never had any big problems with either of them (although I think she would have liked a girl to spoil - she goes mental buying our daughter girly presents now lol)

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I want my first child to be a boy. I've always noted them being cuter, and more well-behaved.
    Of course, that's non-pregnant Cheryl speaking - when I do have kids it won't matter at all!

ReputationRep:
    Probably a boy - I'd love to show him the world and watch him grow up.

Also, I'd have fun playing with Lego again! There is no question that, if I ever have a son, when he's old enough he'll get some awesome Lego

I really wouldn't mind having a girl either, though

But at any rate - serious congratulations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Koobideh)
    Lol you can't make a vast generalization like that. True, it is more likely the girl will be more likely to take care of the parent, but still the majority of boys don't behave like that. The majority of boys would still care for their parent if they were will and dying. Only a small minority would behave like the person you described.
    Not from my experience. I was over generalising but a huge number of residents who have son's never get visited and get no contact from them, not a small minority. The ones with daughter's usually get visits, and if not that at least letters or a phone call once in a while. There is a massive difference in how men and women treat their elderly parents.

ReputationRep:
    From my babysitting duties I prefer looking after boys but both are good fun. As previously stated, both have their pros and cons. Also it depends on the child's personality: not all boys love rough and tumble and not all girls enjoy playing with dolls. Every child is different and their attributes are often independant of gender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    x
    Oh my gosh, your children are so cute!

ReputationRep:
    I'd hate to have a girl, they're usually little brats

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, they both have their pointers.
    It depends a lot on their personality.
    What isn't spent on clothes for girls is spent of football or whatever hobby the boy chooses.

I have a girl and a boy.
    They are seriously as much hassle as each other.

The girl constantly wants whatever her friends have and the boy usually wants to try pyschical activities: football, karate e.t.c
    Which is money being forked out.

The boy usually has his ***** fit moments and so does the girl.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.