Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Girls are a lot more extreme than boys I think. Emotionally etc. And when girls rebel it takes them a lot longer to come around than boys.

That being said it also makes parenting girls a lot more interesting. Boys are pretty flat and boring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    Another thought, I work as a care assistant and the majority of the relatives who visit the residents are female, usually the daughter. In many cases the sons totally ignore their parents while the daughters are much less likely to. In one case a lady is visited at least 3 times a week (usually more like 5) by her daughter but has only been visited once (the day of his dad's funeral) by her son and he lives closer! He didn't even visit his father who was terminally ill while he was with us.

So in the long term you could say its better to have daughters because they won't forget about you when you're old.
    (Original post by Koobideh)
    Lol you can't make a vast generalization like that. True, it is more likely the girl will be more likely to take care of the parent, but still the majority of boys don't behave like that. The majority of boys would still care for their parent if they were will and dying. Only a small minority would behave like the person you described.
    Oh, it's very true. This comes from placements I've done and working on hospital research data entry. Daughters put a lot more in when it comes to care of their elderly, even neices!.
    Maybe the next generations will be different though.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by .[s)
    aimee[/s].]Oh my gosh, your children are so cute!
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    Another thought, I work as a care assistant and the majority of the relatives who visit the residents are female, usually the daughter. In many cases the sons totally ignore their parents while the daughters are much less likely to. In one case a lady is visited at least 3 times a week (usually more like 5) by her daughter but has only been visited once (the day of his dad's funeral) by her son and he lives closer! He didn't even visit his father who was terminally ill while he was with us.

So in the long term you could say its better to have daughters because they won't forget about you when you're old.
    I think part of that may be down to that a lot of boys/men don't know how to cope with emotions and feeling upset. Society pretty much tells us that men shouldn't cry or feel things in the way women can and do. I'm a girl so if I'm sad, scared or worried I can cry but I don't think society lets boys do that... they have to "be the man"... So the daughter may cry and lot and be dealing with the fact her dad is gone and her mum is sick away from the care home, but and trying to be there for her mum but is "okay" when she's there. The son hasn't and is scared that when he would have seen his dad, or sees his mum he'll cry and be upset... Or something?

I think most people find it hard to forget their parents.

OP I think boys and girls would both be fun and annoying at time lol! =D

ReputationRep:
    A boy can't get pregnant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadder)
    A girl can't get pregnant.
    wow seriously? :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I'm remembering the fantastic quote from FlashForward, where the mother of a girl says to the mother of a boy:

"You've only got to worry about one penis, I've got to worry about all of them"

ReputationRep:
    Either. Providing they are healthy and happy, I wouldn't be particularly upset either way... I love thinking up names though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    I'm always told that I was much less hard work than my sister....

Congrats btw.
    Same.

Oh wait, I'm a girl. Oops.

ReputationRep:
    Its more or less

boy - low maintenence, easy to satisfy...but will probably go his own way

girl - what you put in you'll probably get out later in life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Yes it seems to be the norm now, and I think it was just before I got pregnant with my first. But for some reason they stopped telling the parents the gender of the baby.
    When my mum was pregnant with me (1990/1) and my sister (1993/4) she wasn't allowed to know the sex. She was told it was because many Asian parents wanted a son so badly they would abort a female foetus, simply because of its gender - don't forget back then the limit was 28 weeks and you can know the gender long before that. However my mum says women who had children under a year after she had my sister were allowed to know the gender.

Personally, I'd like it to be a surprise the first time but know for any subsequent children.

ReputationRep:
    Quite of lot of it is a learned response combined with social conditioning, and affects both genders equally. So in that sense, if you don't want your girl to act like a whiny little princess, don't treat her like one and if you don't want your son to become a emotionless macho strongman, don't treat him like one. These are obviously extremes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC_x)
    but what if they say its a girl and then it comes out and its a boy :eek:
    my friend was told she was having a girl and she went and got all these pink clothes etc.. she had a wee boy, he was born a few weeks ago :eek: lol
    Probably her punishment for forcing her child to look like a barbie :mad:

ReputationRep:
    If I do choose to have offspring, I seriously don’t care what gender it is.

I think my bf is holding out for a girl though, in his words: “little boys are c****!” Oddly, that’s what my dad says too, but I think that was partly down to him never having a sister but always wanting one (he used to dress my youngest uncle up in women’s clothing when they were children ).

Call it bias, but my mum has always said that she was proud to have two daughters, 1) because they’re more independent and can do things for themselves at an earlier age (apparently) and 2) a mum and a daughter can stay friends for life (if they actually like each other that is), while a boy tends to bugger off once he finds a wife. Nevertheless, I suppose it’s also more socially acceptable for a girl to hang around with their mother (not all the time though) than it is for a boy. Derogatory labels such as ‘mummy’s boy’ spring to mind. Although I have to admit, I find it a bit creepy when grown men hang out with their mothers TOO MUCH. I know a guy with a similar mother-son dynamic to Buster and Lucille from Arrested Development. *shudders*

However, that’s an extreme case of ‘Mother boy!’

Whatever gender my hypothetical future child will be, I just hope it doesn’t screech as loudly as the baby next door. My lord that boy can wail!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadder)
    A girl can't get pregnant.
    Only women can?
    :woo:

(Original post by tropical-twist3)
    In my experience with my countless siblings.. boys are much more troublesome when they're younger, they tend to be more destructive. But apparently my mum says the girls get troublesome and moody in the teens
    :ditto:

Both have cons & pros... But if I had to choose, I'd probably go for a boy :| though I would miss out on the girly stuff; dolls, make up etc.

Congratulations by the way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    Definitely a boy. I could take him to the footy and go on fairground rides with him.
    Having a girl would be pretty crap tbh, I wouldn't know what to do :-(.

Females probably have the exact opposite opinion though, haha...
    i was expecting to be further than post no. 3 before seeing this...

my dad did all that with me (except it was things like basketball and cricket and bike riding, etc. rather than football), and i loved it *shrug*

i really don't think all girls are born wanting to play with barbies and doll houses... it's just what they get conditioned to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    Quite of lot of it is a learned response combined with social conditioning, and affects both genders equally. So in that sense, if you don't want your girl to act like a whiny little princess, don't treat her like one and if you don't want your son to become a emotionless macho strongman, don't treat him like one. These are obviously extremes.
    scratch what i said before, this basically.

ReputationRep:
    I'd prefer a boy. Girls are too girly. Also, teenage girls annoy me too much, I'd hate it if I had a typical bimbo-plasticy-girl. Boys are generally much nicer and easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpamBa)
    When my mum was pregnant with me (1990/1) and my sister (1993/4) she wasn't allowed to know the sex. She was told it was because many Asian parents wanted a son so badly they would abort a female foetus, simply because of its gender - don't forget back then the limit was 28 weeks and you can know the gender long before that. However my mum says women who had children under a year after she had my sister were allowed to know the gender.

Personally, I'd like it to be a surprise the first time but know for any subsequent children.
    I had my children in 1996 and 1998 respectively, and I think I was told the same thing as your mum was.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.