The Student Room Group

Changing Course for 2010 - Primary Teaching

Hi, I'm new here.
I've applied to do sociology at Aston, Bath, Gloucestershire, WoE and Worvester and have good offers from all of them.
However, I've recently realised that i want to become a primary school teacher, and although I realise I can do this postgraduate, I really want to do it as a degree...
I've emailed Gloucestershire asking if I could be switched and they say they're full..i'm awaiting a reply from Worcester and the other three don't appear to offer a primary teaching course.

What can I do??? Is extra or clearing an option, I'm starting to feel awful about it all :/

Taking a year out may be an option too.

:smile:
UCAS Extra is an option if there are places available, yes. However, whether or not there are places is another matter as primary education is fairly competitive. You will need to wait until 25th to see if anything is available as this in when Extra opens and then you can apply for vacancies one at a time (you can write a new personal statement).

Have you properly considered doing a normal degree and then a PGCE? Sociology would be greatly beneficial as a primary school teacher and it gives you chance to get more experience whilst at university as well as having your degree as a backup in the future. You may also decide you no longer want to teach as it seems teaching is only something you've properly contemplated recently. I have an anthropology degree and am currently applying for a PGCE - my plan was always to do primary education at undergrad then I decided against it at the last minute as I didn't want my only option in life to be education and I decided in a few years I would be more sure one way or the other - so I've now applied for a Primary PGCE. I also wanted the benefits of a normal academic degree.

If you're willing to take a year out then this is also an option where you could gain more experience in schools, but obviously this will mean its 4 years until you're a teacher and if you did a regular degree plus a PGCE it would be 4 years too and you'd have more qualifications this way. As a PGCE or undergrad you're treated no differently as far as I can tell.
oxymoronic
UCAS Extra is an option if there are places available, yes. However, whether or not there are places is another matter as primary education is fairly competitive. You will need to wait until 25th to see if anything is available as this in when Extra opens and then you can apply for vacancies one at a time (you can write a new personal statement).

This.
Last year there were some (but not many) available in Extra-remember looking before I got my offer.
full of fit women, I'd get in straight away, they were in the wrong lecture theatre when my group went in and the initial reaction between a lot of us was "we're going to have a good 3 years"....then they all left :frown:
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies.
I'd say to make sure you have thoroughly checked over the primary education courses you are looking into, to make sure it is what you really want to do. My friend does it and it is very different from a typical degree, you learn the basic subjects over again rather than learning further education (I think) If you think you are unsure i'd say a PGCE would be your better option, as you may change your mind, and this way you have a backup. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending