Turn on thread page Beta

Conservatives would rise uni fees to £7k? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've read a lot of things about the Conservatives wanting to rise uni fees to £7000 a year if they get into power. If this plan actually goes ahead, I honestly don't know what I'll do. I'm in year 12 right now.

A question though; if university fees are changed in your first year, so you've paid the £3.25kish for your course that year, is it fixed at that price for you until you finish your 3 year course?

If it is fixed, my year might just make it in if the Conservatives come into power. Fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    Don't fool yourself, whoever wins the next election will put tuition fees up by a lot.
    There's no guarantee they won't do it for current students either, they keep telling us about massive cuts are coming in public spending.

ReputationRep:
    Does it really matter? You'll still be able to afford it on your uni loan plus because more kids will avoid uni, as it will be £7k, the value of your degree will increase. Thus, I can only see it as a positive move.

ReputationRep:
    Your fees will be fixed (apart from inflation costs) with the system you started uni with.

ReputationRep:
    Vote Lib Dems. Sure they can't promise to scrap fees right now, because its not viable, but they certainly won't raise them any more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    Your fees will be fixed (apart from inflation costs) with the system you started uni with.
    source that shows that can't be changed at a stroke by any education minister?

ReputationRep:
    Uni fees are due to skyrocket, regardless of a labour or Tory victory...... if only the Lib-Dems could find an audience to support their take on uni fees.... hhmmmm........

ReputationRep:
    tbh raising it would be bad.

if fees are higher = loans would be higher = more spending so wouldn't do anything.

if they decide to not increase loans and make you fund it urself, uni's will become filled with rich peeps & be loads more peeps on the dole, so they're screwed.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Both Labour and Tories will increase tuition fees, some estimates say fourfold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miahrose)
    I've read a lot of things about the Conservatives wanting to rise uni fees to £7000 a year if they get into power. If this plan actually goes ahead, I honestly don't know what I'll do. I'm in year 12 right now.

A question though; if university fees are changed in your first year, so you've paid the £3.25kish for your course that year, is it fixed at that price for you until you finish your 3 year course?

If it is fixed, my year might just make it in if the Conservatives come into power. Fingers crossed.
    Once your in the system, they can only raise it a small amount (we talking a couple of hundred pounds.)

ReputationRep:
    I understand that tuition fees will go up pretty much no matter what, or at least stay the same - the financial position of the country demands it. But 7K?

Will student loans definitely cover it all though? It seems like such a lot of debt to start of life with already.

It's just really daunting. x__x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prussianking666)
    Once your in the system, they can only raise it a small amount (we talking a couple of hundred pounds.)
    That's cool.
    Let's hope the huge raises are after I get in then, haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miahrose)
    I understand that tuition fees will go up pretty much no matter what, or at least stay the same - the financial position of the country demands it. But 7K?

Will student loans definitely cover it all though? It seems like such a lot of debt to start of life with already.

It's just really daunting. x__x
    No one can really say until a decision gets made. They would likely increase the loans to match but theres nothing stopping them keeping the loans the same and getting students to make up the increase.

Until the government have made a decision its not worth worrying about too much as everything at the moment is mainly guesswork.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Does it really matter? You'll still be able to afford it on your uni loan plus because more kids will avoid uni, as it will be £7k, the value of your degree will increase. Thus, I can only see it as a positive move.
    This is correct. Don't worry, OP, funding will likely be improved/increased to match any increase in fees.

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem paying extra money providing that the quality of my education also improves, also keep in mind that in countries such as the United States, they pay a stupid amount of money as their further education system is subsidised very little (the American exchange students here say they're paying about $45k a year).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by netprime)
    I have no problem paying extra money providing that the quality of my education also improves, also keep in mind that in countries such as the United States, they pay a stupid amount of money as their further education system is subsidised very little (the American exchange students here say they're paying about $45k a year).
    This isn't practical. Currently, UK students pay a very small amount of what it costs to educate them; and this is what's causing the need for cutbacks.
    An increase in fees would not, unless it went up tens of thousands of pounds, equate to an increase in educational standards and facilities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    This isn't practical. Currently, UK students pay a very small amount of what it costs to educate them; and this is what's causing the need for cutbacks.
    An increase in fees would not, unless it went up tens of thousands of pounds, equate to an increase in educational standards and facilities.
    Even if that is the case, I still have no problem paying extra for university as the long-term benefits still outweigh the costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by netprime)
    Even if that is the case, I still have no problem paying extra for university as the long-term benefits still outweigh the costs.
    I agree completely.
    I've already graduated, and consider myself very lucky for that fact, but would've understood and agreed with charges of up to £50,000 in total for my university course.

Of course, that's on the condition that funding would've stayed the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    source that shows that can't be changed at a stroke by any education minister?
    Only source I have is myself, I started my course on the "old system" back in 2005 and due to my own issues I am still on the same course but now in my second year. There are people on the current 3k who have been to uni and now graduated my LEA still have me on the 1k system as that's when I started. There's no way they could get away with upping the fees of students already enroled on courses.

Considering there was uproar when fees went from 1k to 3k yet now it appears to be acceptable, upping it again and offering people loans to cover it most people will just accept it as they don't feel the real impact until a few years down the line when they're still repaying the loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I agree completely.
    I've already graduated, and consider myself very lucky for that fact, but would've understood and agreed with charges of up to £50,000 in total for my university course.
    Exactly, even with an increased in fees they'll be an increase in loans as well. I doubt they'd be an increase in grants, as the idea of raising tuition fees is to cut public spending... It's worth the money though, although I still think it depends on what degree you do, but thats another debate for another thread.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 14, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.