Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Conservatives would rise uni fees to £7k? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AverageJoe92)
    This guy knows what he is talking about. Evidence to support their argument and the £7K talk is all just rumours. Ultimate Like. :gthumb:
    Cool theres sorted then

Expect this to be bumped in 4 months time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeonflux)
    We already have a public/private hybrid healthcare system.

It's also worth noting that the NHS is very good value, although it is not the best system in the world, it is important to take a look at the money spent on healthcare. We Brits spend far less on healthcare than the US and almost all of western Europe, yet our healthcare system is far superior to that of the US and far from the worst in Europe. Our healthcare system works fantastically well given the amount of money spent on it. I'll stop there, can feel this going a bit off-topic :p:
    our healthcare system is far superior to that of the US

apart from provision for the poor that is the biggest load of rubbish I've ever read.
    You do know that Chicago has more MRI scanners than the UK for instance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    our healthcare system is far superior to that of the US

apart from provision for the poor that is the biggest load of rubbish I've ever read.
    You do know that Chicago has more MRI scanners than the UK for instance.
    Every post I read of yours is more moronic then the last. You don't measure the quality of a healthcare systems on MRI machines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_ranking

UK: 18
    US: 37

According to WHO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlantic Flight)
    Apologies for not reading the thread since it is so long, but where is the evidence the Conservatives would raise uni fees to £7k.

My experience suggests to the contrary since I went to a talk by David Willetts, the Shadow Minister for Universities and Skills on Monday and he explicitly state the Conservatives would not be raising fees to a value such as £7K since he argued this was not the way to address funding issues and the problem was not that simple, but rather a general investigation into the structure of funding should occur.
    Was this at Oxford Brookes University? Becasue if so then why haven't the newspapers published this news? It will make thousands of prospective students so relieved. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AverageJoe92)
    Was this at Oxford Brookes University? Becasue if so then why haven't the newspapers published this news? It will make thousands of prospective students so relieved. :confused:
    Sorry, very late response as haven't logged in for ages.

Was at Cambridge University but only to a very small audience, about 20, hence the lack of coverage.

Apologies for bumping a very old thread The university fee issue has become relevant again though, the future a graduate tax instead of fee rises?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlantic Flight)
    Sorry, very late response as haven't logged in for ages.

Was at Cambridge University but only to a very small audience, about 20, hence the lack of coverage.

Apologies for bumping a very old thread The university fee issue has become relevant again though, the future a graduate tax instead of fee rises?
    I don't know what to think of it, but it certainly would encourage only viable courses to be taken as there are lots of 'time wasters' going to uni. Maybe this will improve prospects, maybe it won't. Who knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miahrose)
    I've read a lot of things about the Conservatives wanting to rise uni fees to £7000 a year if they get into power. If this plan actually goes ahead, I honestly don't know what I'll do. I'm in year 12 right now.

A question though; if university fees are changed in your first year, so you've paid the £3.25kish for your course that year, is it fixed at that price for you until you finish your 3 year course?

If it is fixed, my year might just make it in if the Conservatives come into power. Fingers crossed.
    A lot of student worry about the debt when they leave uni but forget how little they actually pay back , for instance you wouldn't pay a penny back if you earned less than 15,000 and even when your salary exceeds that its only 9% off everything over that. so its not like your going to be burdened with debt as soon as you leave uni .

ReputationRep:
    That is super super expensive. But there are lots of other options for students. You know like NVQs and apprenticeships and the like. Not everyone fits the mould of going to uni to do english or science or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jostar)
    That is super super expensive. But there are lots of other options for students. You know like NVQs and apprenticeships and the like. Not everyone fits the mould of going to uni to do english or science or something.
    How is it expensive, for a three year degree course thats less than an audi tt.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.