Turn on thread page Beta

Conservatives would rise uni fees to £7k? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    It is student debt, not commercial debt, you only pay it if you earn it off if not. Otherwise you pay for it by increased tax but other people who did not go to uni also pay for it.
    I do not still want to be paying for my education when I'm 60.

It is fair for people to pay for what they use, I don't see why anyone else should fund your education.
    It's one of the great things about this country that your ability to study at university depends not on your bank balance but on your academic ability. That same line can be used as a rebuttal against any government-subsidised system, such as health care, which I assume you are not also advocating.

That's even before you think about how being saddled with a quarter of a million pounds of debt would certainly scare off some people from poorer backgrounds to applying for medicine, which isn't right.

And also, on the system you touted above (with student debt) you're not paying for what you use. If you go to university and then head straight onto the dole, you don't have to pay a penny. So that argument is a complete fallacy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Does it really matter? You'll still be able to afford it on your uni loan plus because more kids will avoid uni, as it will be £7k, the value of your degree will increase. Thus, I can only see it as a positive move.
    Of course it would matter?
    what if she is one of these kids that will avoid uni as it is too expensive?
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    I do not still want to be paying for my education when I'm 60.

It's one of the great things about this country that your ability to study at university depends not on your bank balance but on your academic ability. That same line can be used as a rebuttal against any government-subsidised system, such as health care, which I assume you are not also advocating.

That's even before you think about how being saddled with a quarter of a million pounds of debt would certainly scare off some people from poorer backgrounds to applying for medicine, which isn't right.

And also, on the system you touted above (with student debt) you're not paying for what you use. If you go to university and then head straight onto the dole, you don't have to pay a penny. So that argument is a complete fallacy.
    Yes, I know the system could be abused (ie go on the dole) but that is merely as it is an assurance that all you can actually use from uni is the 6 years of lost income.
    Your bank balance does not stop you doing med in this case, it is still affordable to all and is never going to result in bankrupcy.

As for healthcare I don't think the way we do it is the best, singapore has an interesting and appealing system but I would need to look at it in more detail (state/private hybrid I believe)

Oh, and that rebuttal I think goes for pretty much all state enterprise with some obvious exceptions (defence) I want the state reduced as much as possible, I do not see why people should be forced to pay for things they don't want and for other people.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's a pain, but they'll probably go up whether it's Labour or the Conservatives who win. The Lib Dems are least likely to raise them, but they've scrapped their idea of scrapping tuition fees now and have no chance of getting in anyway. So basically, we're screwed either way :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanCarroll)
    Of course it would matter?
    what if she is one of these kids that will avoid uni as it is too expensive?
    :lolwut:
    Do I particularly care? No.

If you don't want to go because you think it's expensive then don't. Find another route. There is nothing stopping you from obtaining a loan to cover the fees; everyone will be able to afford it. It's just a matter of weighing up whether you think you'll be better off taking up a job instead of getting a loan and going to uni. Uni isn't for anyone, so it'll put off those less suited to it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Do I particularly care? No.

If you don't want to go because you think it's expensive then don't. Find another route. There is nothing stopping you from obtaining a loan to cover the fees; everyone will be able to afford it. It's just a matter of weighing up whether you think you'll be better off taking up a job instead of getting a loan and going to uni. Uni isn't for anyone, so it'll put off those less suited to it anyway.
    DON'T CARE?
    GET THE **** OUT OF THIS THREAD THEN YOU ****
    DON'T ANSWER HER QUESTION IF YOU DON'T CARE

NOW **** OFF

ReputationRep:
    DON'T CARE?
    GET THE **** OUT OF THIS THREAD THEN YOU ****
    DON'T ANSWER HER QUESTION IF YOU DON'T CARE

NOW **** OFF
    Huh?

ReputationRep:
    Huh?
    haha, I hope you're not at university?
    I'm sure they expect you to grasp language first

ReputationRep:
    That post was very eloquently written, far surpassing anything I have come across in my duration at university. Bravo.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite sure the "Huh" was in response to your moronic post and not a lack of a grasp of English.

ReputationRep:
    That post was very eloquently written, far surpassing anything I have come across in my duration at university. Bravo.
    why thankyou :rolleyes:
    you will come to find that there is far more beautiful aspects of the english language,
    but no need to overwhelm you with big words now is there?

****. All I'm thinking at the moment is that I'd better start saving more money for university It really sucks though, what source says that it will be at least 7k? That's a lot, especially if we have to pay the fees upfront and with insufficient loans.
    Either way though, I won't let anything stop me from getting into a university!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshMcD)
    I'm quite sure the "Huh" was in response to your moronic post and not a lack of a grasp of English.
    moronic, in response to moronic.
    please do not get involved?

ReputationRep:
    moronic, in response to moronic.
    please do not get involved?
    I thought he proposed a rather succinct and adequate response, deserving of the level of your original post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeStudent)
    ****. All I'm thinking at the moment is that I'd better start saving more money for university It really sucks though, what source says that it will be at least 7k? That's a lot, especially if we have to pay the fees upfront and with insufficient loans.
    Either way though, I won't let anything stop me from getting into a university!
    You really don't need to save more if there was going to be a tuition fee increase. You should only look to save money for things other than you rent and tuition as these should be covered by your loan. Also make sure you borrow as much as you can because this debt will be the best debt you will ever get, due to the low interest and ease and flexibility of paying it back.

It's a very good idea to max out your student loan and not necessarily save too much (enough to keep as a buffer and to spend on having a good time) :top:

ReputationRep:
    The lack of any links make this a pointless thread.

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify for some people the tuition fees do currently rise every year but only at a percentage equal to inflation and cannot be increased more than that. Once you enter uni you will only pay the rate at which you entered at (plus inflation) throughout your time there regardless on whether legislation is passed to increase it. If the legislation is passed the tuition fees being touted are 7k. If this does happen the tuition fee loan will be increased in line with this so you will not have to find your own funds.

On a slightly separate note, when are the protests due to begin. I haven't had a good riot in a while :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeDub)
    The lack of any links make this a pointless thread.
    There are no definitive decisions made yet because of the imminent general election. Fees will almost certainly be raised to 7k.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle6727699.ece

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...e-1836053.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle6910226.ece

http://www.universityworldnews.com/a...91113141840178

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelin Man)
    Just to clarify for some people the tuition fees do currently rise every year but only at a percentage equal to inflation and cannot be increased more than that. Once you enter uni you will only pay the rate at which you entered at (plus inflation) throughout your time there regardless on whether legislation is passed to increase it. If the legislation is passed the tuition fees being touted are 7k. If this does happen the tuition fee loan will be increased in line with this so you will not have to find your own funds.

On a slightly separate note, when are the protests due to begin. I haven't had a good riot in a while :rolleyes:
    There's every chance that rule book will be thrown out after the election. I have already addressed your claim that loans will rise in line with fees. This will increase public spending massively and WILL NOT HAPPEN in the format currently used. It will only be viable if loans are made at commercial rates of interest.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 14, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.