Turn on thread page Beta

Conservatives would rise uni fees to £7k? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talveer)
    Hmm, Maybe if they raise tuition fees largely we could get some marches going?
    They failed after they were first introduced, and after the last rise.

Good luck with that.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently fee's cannot be raised above 4K before 2013 anyway.

ReputationRep:
    oh noes, you will need a bigger student loan :O
    which will mean nothing if you get a decent job from your degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caraa91)
    Apparently fee's cannot be raised above 4K before 2013 anyway.
    They can be raised to anything the govt want it to be from Sept 2011. They are only committed to 2010 intake.

ReputationRep:
    Once your in the system, they can only raise it a small amount (we talking a couple of hundred pounds.)
    see since we get it for free up here, does that mean it will be pretty cheap for us to start with then? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Do I particularly care? No.

If you don't want to go because you think it's expensive then don't. Find another route. There is nothing stopping you from obtaining a loan to cover the fees; everyone will be able to afford it. It's just a matter of weighing up whether you think you'll be better off taking up a job instead of getting a loan and going to uni. Uni isn't for anyone, so it'll put off those less suited to it anyway.
    Oh for God sake. What a stupid statement to make, 'everyone will be able to afford it'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Yes, I know the system could be abused (ie go on the dole) but that is merely as it is an assurance that all you can actually use from uni is the 6 years of lost income.
    Your bank balance does not stop you doing med in this case, it is still affordable to all and is never going to result in bankrupcy.

As for healthcare I don't think the way we do it is the best, singapore has an interesting and appealing system but I would need to look at it in more detail (state/private hybrid I believe)

Oh, and that rebuttal I think goes for pretty much all state enterprise with some obvious exceptions (defence) I want the state reduced as much as possible, I do not see why people should be forced to pay for things they don't want and for other people.
    well to me, if the state want to order me around and make laws saying what i can and cant do then i want them to pay for things. If they do not want to pay for things i want then they can **** off and let me do what i like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffieFlowers)
    Oh for God sake. What a stupid statement to make, 'everyone will be able to afford it'.
    Care to elucidate on your opinion?

There is plenty of financial support for those who may require it, more so for the lower classes than the middle or upper. I don't understand how one would not be able to afford education in Britain :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libtolu)
    well to me, if the state want to order me around and make laws saying what i can and cant do then i want them to pay for things. If they do not want to pay for things i want then they can **** off and let me do what i like.
    Such as?

I also think the state should not interfere with private life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    There's every chance that rule book will be thrown out after the election. I have already addressed your claim that loans will rise in line with fees. This will increase public spending massively and WILL NOT HAPPEN in the format currently used. It will only be viable if loans are made at commercial rates of interest.
    In the short term it increases public spending but at the end of the day it is still a loan. The whole point is that you pay it back.

EDIT: but yes it will change in it's format. There is the possibility of there being a new grants scheme where the less fortunate get grants to make up the difference in the new fees.

Marches and protests won't do anything. I want a full blown riot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Care to elucidate on your opinion?

There is plenty of financial support for those who may require it, more so for the lower classes than the middle or upper. I don't understand how one would not be able to afford education in Britain :confused:
    It's just that, surley, if they raise the uni fees, then they obviously want less people going to uni, don't you think? So loans would be far less available, they wouldn't raise the fees for it to make absolutely no difference whatsoever to the amount of people going to university. Please tell me if im wrong, because i'd absolutely love for you to be right, for university to be perfectly affordable for the less well off, non-privately educated people. :]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelin Man)
    In the short term it increases public spending but at the end of the day it is still a loan. The whole point is that you pay it back.
    Actually this is wrong. he Govt accept they will never get back 30% of student loans due to death, people never earning enough, loans being written off after 25 years and foreigners doing a bunk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Actually this is wrong. he Govt accept they will never get back 30% of student loans due to death, people never earning enough, loans being written off after 25 years and foreigners doing a bunk.
    Hasn't that been increased to 35 years now? I'm not sure but I think it might have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miahrose)
    Hasn't that been increased to 35 years now? I'm not sure but I think it might have.
    Not to my understanding, no.
    Probably will do if the fees go up though, and I imagine the 9% of earnings over £15k could change to say 12-16%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffieFlowers)
    Well you can be given a massive cheap loan, which you don't have to pay back at all until you're in a reasonable job. How can you not afford that?

ReputationRep:
    Seriously how the hell do they expect us to pay £7000 a year along with around £3500 for accommodation and another £1500 for food and other expenses. That's £12,000 a year and when times by the standard 4 year course most students will leave education £48,000 in debt.

It's so stupid to expect most people start working life with that amount of debt that they simply wouldn't bother going expect for the very rich. Only positive thing I can take out of this is the fact that its a 2013 plan and I should have already started by then. :o:

Edit: Reading the times article on this makes me feel this is simply a class issue. To be expect by both this government and the future conservative government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talveer)
    Hmm, Maybe if they raise tuition fees largely we could get some marches going?
    Didn't work before, why would it this time?

Or do you mean just to make you feel better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanD9)
    Seriously how the hell do they expect us to pay £7000 a year along with around £3500 for accommodation and another £1500 for food and other expenses. That's £12,000 a year and when times by the standard 4 year course most students will leave education £48,000 in debt.

It's so stupid to expect most people start working life with that amount of debt that they simply wouldn't bother going expect for the very rich. Only positive thing I can take out of this is the fact that its a 2013 plan and I should have already started by then. :o:
    Whats the difference between not paying back 20k and not paying back 40k?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Didn't work before, why would it this time?

Or do you mean just to make you feel better?
    Make me feel better.

But hey, just because it didn't work once before who said it isnt going to work now?

Without persistence you get no where. You think every protest in the world got what they wanted on the first try? :rolleyes: I'm sure all it took for blacks to get equal rights was just one march. (sarcasm btw)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miahrose)
    In Scotland it is, England is 25 years for topup fees.
    England could go back to it being wiped at retirement when there is a rehaul.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 14, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.