Turn on thread page Beta

Conservatives would rise uni fees to £7k? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    Well you can be given a massive cheap loan, which you don't have to pay back at all until you're in a reasonable job. How can you not afford that?
    I don't know...it just seems like if they raise the fees, then surley it wouldn't be that easy to be able the pay them. Whats the point in raising the fees in loans will be equally available? Im not great at politics, i just thought that the whole point in raising fees was to have less people going to university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talveer)
    Make me feel better.

But hey, just because it didn't work once before who said it isnt going to work now?

Without persistence you get no where. You think every protest in the world got what they wanted on the first try? :rolleyes: I'm sure all it took for blacks to get equal rights was just one march. (sarcasm btw)
    Marches four years running didn't do anything though...
    And that was before £170bn budget deficit.

ReputationRep:
    No it is to raise revenue.
    Oooooh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffieFlowers)
    I don't know...it just seems like if they raise the fees, then surley it wouldn't be that easy to be able the pay them. Whats the point in raising the fees in loans will be equally available? Im not great at politics, i just thought that the whole point in raising fees was to have less people going to university?
    right.....
    Doesn't look like fees will ever trouble you anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Well ****, we might as well close this thread then eh?

But then that wouldn't give us a chance to moan.
    Your second sentence is the only benefit in these threads

That and to put numpties right (not you)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Whats the difference between not paying back 20k and not paying back 40k?
    Who said anything about not paying back the debt. I and I'd imagine every other student who goes to university has ambitions to work in their respected field so for you to assume that someone will go to university just to get in debt then never work again is crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanD9)
    Seriously how the hell do they expect us to pay £7000 a year along with around £3500 for accommodation and another £1500 for food and other expenses. That's £12,000 a year and when times by the standard 4 year course most students will leave education £48,000 in debt.

It's so stupid to expect most people start working life with that amount of debt that they simply wouldn't bother going expect for the very rich. Only positive thing I can take out of this is the fact that its a 2013 plan and I should have already started by then. :o:

Edit: Reading the times article on this makes me feel this is simply a class issue. To be expect by both this government and the future conservative government.
    Where does it say about it being a 2013 plan? I would have started by then too, haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanD9)
    Who said anything about not paying back the debt. I and I'd imagine every other student who goes to university has ambitions to work in their respected field so for you to assume that someone will go to university just to get in debt then never work again is crazy.
    How much do you think you'll need to earn on average to pay off a 20k loan within 25 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    right.....
    Doesn't look like fees will ever trouble you anyway.
    Why are you saying that?

I might be getting you wrong here, but are you being sacastic? (it's difficult getting sacasm over the internet). Can i just let you know that, being in the know about politics has little to do with backgrounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    Not to my understanding, no.
    Probably will do if the fees go up though, and I imagine the 9% of earnings over £15k could change to say 12-16%.
    I'd say 14% would be the top limit, anything over 15% starts sounding high.

I think its more likely the repayment period will be increased again to retirement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    Your fees will be fixed (apart from inflation costs)
    Fees aren't inflation linked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    source that shows that can't be changed at a stroke by any education minister?
    We seem to be on an agreement streak this week...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miahrose)
    Where does it say about it being a 2013 plan? I would have started by then too, haha.
    It says it in the Times Online article. Link

(Original post by Quady)
    How much do you think you'll need to earn on average to pay off a 20k loan within 25 years?
    No idea, for me though it's not how long you have to pay it back its the amount. A £40k+ debt when leaving university is just a crazy amount of money to owe for anyone be they rich or poor. The only saving grace though is the fact that you have to be working before they want the money back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manderton)
    tbh raising it would be bad.

if fees are higher = loans would be higher = more spending so wouldn't do anything.

if they decide to not increase loans and make you fund it urself, uni's will become filled with rich peeps & be loads more peeps on the dole, so they're screwed.
    Do your parents pay for your loans or something?

ReputationRep:
    By potentially raising tutition fees it completely undermines the process of making higher education equally available to everyone. Whoever comes into power will have to make education cuts but raising it to £7000 seems quite hypocritical.
    Sounds like a conservative move to redefine class and bring back elitism by making universities exclusive to the rich to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    Thats inflation. You agreed to that when you started, that the fees would go up by inflation each year.
    No it isn't, I challenge you find the link between fee increases and inflation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cafwin)
    By potentially raising tutition fees it completely undermines the process of making higher education equally available to everyone. Whoever comes into power will have to make education cuts but raising it to £7000 seems quite hypocritical.
    Sounds like a conservative move to redefine class and bring back elitism by making universities exclusive to the rich to me.
    How do fees paid (no not) after graduation make education less avaliable to anyone?

(btw who brought in fees and top up fees?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    You really don't need to save more if there was going to be a tuition fee increase. You should only look to save money for things other than you rent and tuition as these should be covered by your loan. Also make sure you borrow as much as you can because this debt will be the best debt you will ever get, due to the low interest and ease and flexibility of paying it back.

It's a very good idea to max out your student loan and not necessarily save too much (enough to keep as a buffer and to spend on having a good time) :top:

If they raise the funding then they won't be saving a huge amount of money because they will have to lend out more which means that they run the risk of losing more to dodgy people who go to uni and don't pay back the loans.

It's more likely that the real value of the funding will drop whilst the nominal value will rise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    The tuition fees are loaned to the student by the government at a massive subsidy paid for from public monies. Increasing tuition fees and funding them as at present will lead to a massive rise in public spending not a cut! Where do you think the government get the money from?
    So then the loans don't have the current minimal amount of interest rates, and instead are loaned at a commercial rate? Either way, loans will be offered to meet any increased in tuition fees, otherwise they'll be less people going into university from poorer backgrounds, which won't look good for any governmnet - although the Conservatives are more likely to get away with it.

ReputationRep:
    which means international fees will be raised (damn!!) I will have paid 100K for uni education!!, stop complaining, you don't have to payback until you start earning a decent salary!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 14, 2010
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.