Turn on thread page Beta

Conservatives would rise uni fees to £7k? watch

ReputationRep:
    ser,ser,ser,ser,ser,ser,ser,ser, ser, SEVEN GRAND!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manderton)
    tbh raising it would be bad.

if fees are higher = loans would be higher = more spending so wouldn't do anything.

if they decide to not increase loans and make you fund it urself, uni's will become filled with rich peeps & be loads more peeps on the dole, so they're screwed.
    exactly

ReputationRep:
    It should be raised. Less people going means degrees are worth more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by netprime)
    Even if that is the case, I still have no problem paying extra for university as the long-term benefits still outweigh the costs.
    Well lucky you. Most of us wouldn't be able to afford to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    It's one of the great things about this country that your ability to study at university depends not on your bank balance but on your academic ability.
    Is it really? Thats great, I meet the entry requirements to do a Masters at London School of Economics. Could you advise me where to apply for a grant to cover the £14000 fees

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneInSolidarity)
    Ugh this depresses me. Our parents went to Uni on a grant however we may have to pay £7k a year? Can't they hold out for another three years at least
    Our parents might have had free education but they are paying for their kids education now. As long as when our generation is in government, we make it so our kids education is free, we get away without paying anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Is it really? Thats great, I meet the entry requirements to do a Masters at London School of Economics. Could you advise me where to apply for a grant to cover the £14000 fees
    What course are you planning to do? It's pretty hard to give advice when I don't know the field.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    Both the labour and tory parties will increase tuition fees after the general election. You also seem to have a pretty warped view of the tory party as it is they who first expanded in the university system in the early 90's.
    I didn't deny that they Tory party increased equality in universities, i stated that it's hypocritcal to charge such large amount that realistically only the well off are willing to pay, when they tried to reduce this economic divide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    It is fair for people to pay for what they use, I don't see why anyone else should fund your education.
    Following your logic, I don't see why I should pay for anyone elses healthcare, if I'm not using why should I pay for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    How much do you think graduates earn?
    Why is it every time you reply to me you just ask a question. :rolleyes:

Anyway the answer to your question is available here. As you will earning over £15,000 with a uni degree isn't that hard, finding the job though seems to be the hardest part these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanD9)
    Why is it every time you reply to me you just ask a question. :rolleyes:

Anyway the answer to your question is available here. As you will earning over £15,000 with a uni degree isn't that hard, finding the job though seems to be the hardest part these days.
    'According to latest figures released by the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA), the average salary for full-time first degree graduates from 2008 whose destinations were known and who were in full-time employment in the UK six months after graduating was £19,677'

So for the average graduate the repayment almost covers the interest. So the average debt won't grow that much.

Not getting paid off though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Wow, quite a sweeping statement seeing as you aren't even aware of my financial situation.

I'd be able to afford it by taking out more loans, believe me, my parents can't afford to fund my university course.

ReputationRep:
    How?

How is there a difference in affordability between 3k fees and 30k fees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by netprime)
    Wow, quite a sweeping statement seeing as you aren't even aware of my financial situation.

I'd be able to afford it by taking out more loans, believe me, my parents can't afford to fund my university course.
    And how many students will be able to get bank loans? Judging by the fact many students cannot even get student credit cards, the answer would be not many. So unless the student loan was increased (which means more spending from government anyway), I don't see how most students could afford higher fees.

(Original post by Quady)
    How?

How is there a difference in affordability between 3k fees and 30k fees?
    Um quite a lot?
    Someone can quite easily save up 3k if they have a really good part time job. There is no way someone could save up 30k for a year of uni.
    (of course I'm talking about it the student loan is not increased)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    'According to latest figures released by the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA), the average salary for full-time first degree graduates from 2008 whose destinations were known and who were in full-time employment in the UK six months after graduating was £19,677'

So for the average graduate the repayment almost covers the interest. So the average debt won't grow that much.

Not getting paid off though.
    Says who?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanD9)
    Says who?
    Do the maths.

20k loan, 3% interest = 600 quid interest a year.
    15,000+(600/0.09) = 21,666 quid/year salary in order to pay off the interest.

So unless you earn over that its not being paid off.

ReputationRep:
    And how many students will be able to get bank loans? Not many.
    Student loans I would imagine, that's assuming along with the £7k in fees they increase the maximum student loan available to £7k. If not then I guess we are all screwed.:woo:

ReputationRep:
    Um quite a lot?
    Someone can quite easily save up 3k if they have a really good part time job. There is no way someone could save up 30k for a year of uni.

Its not a valid assumption though is it?

ReputationRep:
    And how many students will be able to get bank loans? Judging by the fact many students cannot even get student credit cards, the answer would be not many. So unless the student loan was increased (which means more spending from government anyway), I don't see how most students could afford higher fees.

Um quite a lot?
    Chances are the student loan would be offered but at a commercial rate, rather than the current low-interest one which is offered now. I do agree with you that not many students will be able to get commercial loans to pay for university. As the government wants more students in university, I doubt they'll make it so that fewer go; I don't think the Conservatives would do anything so radical that university was once again for 'the elite', even if thats what they may want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Do the maths.

20k loan, 3% interest = 600 quid interest a year.
    15,000+(600/0.09) = 21,666 quid/year salary in order to pay off the interest.

So unless you earn over that its not being paid off.
    But that's over a six month period, who knows what happened on the seventh month, let alone 5 years from then. You not seriously saying that students will never be able to pay of their student loans?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 14, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.