Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Conservatives would rise uni fees to £7k? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by netprime)
    Chances are the student loan would be offered but at a commercial rate, rather than the current low-interest one which is offered now.
    Probably not, possibly higher than the current system but still under commercial rates. Probably something linked to the 3 month Gilt yield.

ReputationRep:
    When did the Conservatives say they want to increase tuition fees?

This is just a lie to try and make them look bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanD9)
    But that's over a six month period, who knows what happened on the seventh month, let alone 5 years from then. You not seriously saying that students will never be able to pay of their student loans?
    I'm saying many will (such as me), but that lots (I'd guess around 60%) won't.

It'll take the average student 3-4 years to start paying off the interest. A large proportion of graduates will never earn over 30k. They aren't going to pay off 20k in 25 years under the current terms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jono.B)
    This is just a lie to try and make them look bad.
    Its the truth but no different to Labour. They both want to cut the education budget.

Why do you think its a lie?

ReputationRep:
    One thing I haven't heard explained when people say funding will be increased to compensate the increase in fees is: where will these funds come from? Surely a dual increase in fees and loans will just be pointless? What am I missing? =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherudim)
    One thing I haven't heard explained when people say funding will be increased to compensate the increase in fees is: where will these funds come from? Surely a dual increase in fees and loans will just be pointless? What am I missing? =/
    You're missing nothing.
    It is others who cannot see that an increase in loans to cover an increase in tuition fees under the current system will result in an increase in public spending.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherudim)
    The loan is then an asset so the balance sheet is an extra 4-6k up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    You're missing nothing.
    It is others who cannot see that an increase in loans to cover an increase in tuition fees under the current system will result in an increase in public spending.
    No, loan goes up, the current subsidy goes down. Public spending stays the same but the Gov has an increased asset book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Do the maths.

20k loan, 3% interest = 600 quid interest a year.
    15,000+(600/0.09) = 21,666 quid/year salary in order to pay off the interest.

So unless you earn over that its not being paid off.
    Yeah, but that is in nominal terms and not real ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miahrose)
    I've read a lot of things about the Conservatives wanting to rise uni fees to £7000 a year if they get into power. If this plan actually goes ahead, I honestly don't know what I'll do. I'm in year 12 right now.

A question though; if university fees are changed in your first year, so you've paid the £3.25kish for your course that year, is it fixed at that price for you until you finish your 3 year course?

If it is fixed, my year might just make it in if the Conservatives come into power. Fingers crossed.
    Me too. Hopefully it wont happen before I start uni in September lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    No, because primary and secondary education are compulsory. I see no issue with charging fees for A-Levels, though (perhaps £500 per A-Level, per year) - something affordable.

A degree-level education does not directly result in a higher salary. Of course, overall, those with degrees as a group will contribute more in taxes, but I think these things could be more practically done taking into the account that people like myself are only contributing to THEMSELVES with their education.
    The fact that I went through three years of university doesn't do anything special for the economy.

In that case, the government should find the funding. Students should not pay for education they're forced into, imo.
    Forgive me if I've misread your opinion here, but what it seems like your saying is that students should fund the degree themselves, without financial help?

If you are saying that then that is ridiculous. Some of us would have no hope in hell funding it ourselves. You may be earning less than you would have without going to Uni, but some of us need a degree to get to the job we want.

I could not even begin to afford a degree to become a teacher without finance from the government.

If that was not the view you intended to put across then disregard my comments

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaykiie)
    Forgive me if I've misread your opinion here, but what it seems like your saying is that students should fund the degree themselves, without financial help?

If you are saying that then that is ridiculous. Some of us would have no hope in hell funding it ourselves. You may be earning less than you would have without going to Uni, but some of us need a degree to get to the job we want.

I could not even begin to afford a degree to become a teacher without finance from the government.

If that was not view you intended to put across then disregard my comments
    Nope, I'm saying loans should still be provided.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read the entire thread, so I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but do you have any links to back up your claims? I am very shocked by this. If it's true then it's absolutely disgraceful. God the baby boomers are really doing their very best to fudge things up our generation aren't they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    Yeah, but that is in nominal terms and not real ones.
    I'm happy for some numbers to be run by me. But I don't see how real terms are useful until you get to a point where the nominal amount isn't increasing any more.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you're in year 13 now then the fees will not and cannot increase vastly, not sure about those in year 12 and below though.

I doubt the Tories would implement this, I think they realise that most people can't really afford to go as it is, let alone if the fees were more than doubled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_world)
    I haven't read the entire thread, so I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but do you have any links to back up your claims? I am very shocked by this. If it's true then it's absolutely disgraceful. God the baby boomers are really doing their very best to fudge things up our generation aren't they?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...ee-review.html

Have you been living under a rock?

Its ok, we can send them back to work/reduce their pension to nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    I doubt the Tories would implement this, I think they realise that most people can't really afford to go as it is, let alone if the fees were more than doubled.
    How can they not afford it now? Its more affordable now than in 2005...

They have to cut a 26% public sector overspend, why do you think they would leave fees alone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Nope, I'm saying loans should still be provided.
    Then disregard it :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    I'm happy for some numbers to be run by me. But I don't see how real terms are useful until you get to a point where the nominal amount isn't increasing any more.
    Sure the number may be increasing, but it's increasing at a slower rate than the salaries and costs are. Hence, that number is becoming worth less and is easier to pay off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...ee-review.html

Have you been living under a rock?

Its ok, we can send them back to work/reduce their pension to nothing.
    No, but I have been living in another country...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.