Turn on thread page Beta

I'm constantly hungry... ahhh frustrating! watch

ReputationRep:
    At the moment this isn't such an issue as I'm on a 'gap year', living off my parents mainly and doing art foundation, but this summer I'm going traveling in South America and then going to university, and I don't know how I'll survive on a student budget.

I'm really fussy, tend to have expensive taste (eg. don't like tesco or sainsburys bread but am rather fond of that from M&S)

soooo hungry all the time

ReputationRep:
    Sainsburys tiger bread...made by the baker Gods in heaven :sogood:
    South America should have nice food especially if you're going to Argentina, their little bulls are amazing.

Eat things that fill you up more and get over the expensive food? It's not what millionaires eat.

ReputationRep:
    Join the club . I think mines due to stress, but I just can't stop eating!
    I'm sure you can get decent cheap brands from somewhere though. You'll just have to shop around and try new stuff

ReputationRep:
    Like you said your just living off your parents and not really doing a lot at the moment thats probably what it is. When I don't occupy myself or I just focus on the fact that I'm not eating at this very moment my stomach feels hungry. It's probably more pschological that physical, although if you are stressed out at the moment or you are 'busibodying' about doing jobs then you'll be burning calories quicker and therefore you'll be hungrier more often...?

ReputationRep:
    Thing is, i was going to add, it's not actually psychological, it's a distractingly noisy and burning stomach!

ReputationRep:
    How can you not like Sainsbury's bread?!!

ReputationRep:
    Drink a lot of water and chew gum.

ReputationRep:
    I'm constantly hungry too.
    I just ignore it most of the time, snack ocassionally and then have a massive main meal that will keep me feeling full for about half an hour - then it's back to just ignoring it again.

You can still eat relatively well on a student budget. I eat only organic/soil association/woodland free range chicken, moorland lamb, aberdeen angus beef, outdoor reared pork, woodland free range eggs, anchor butter, virgin olive oil - for reasons of morals and health. For vegetables and fruit you can cheap out though, go Basics and it's still the same just a different size/shape. You'll get used to shopping at Sainsbury's or Tesco, they have good quality things as well as bad.
    I tend to spend £20 a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribbits)
    I'm constantly hungry too.
    I just ignore it most of the time, snack ocassionally and then have a massive main meal that will keep me feeling full for about half an hour - then it's back to just ignoring it again.

You can still eat relatively well on a student budget. I eat only organic/soil association/woodland free range chicken, moorland lamb, aberdeen angus beef, outdoor reared pork, woodland free range eggs, anchor butter, virgin olive oil - for reasons of morals and health. For vegetables and fruit you can cheap out though, go Basics and it's still the same just a different size/shape. You'll get used to shopping at Sainsbury's or Tesco, they have good quality things as well as bad.
    I tend to spend £20 a week.
    thanks... sorry a little bit irrelevent but woo you're studying at Goldsmiths! My potential firm or insurance, I haven't got all my responses back so can't be so sure. Which subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizfairy)
    thanks... sorry a little bit irrelevent but woo you're studying at Goldsmiths! My potential firm or insurance, I haven't got all my responses back so can't be so sure. Which subject?
    English Literature, it's a nice place to study.
    The Sainsbury's in New Cross is really good as far as Sainsbury's go - I'm sure you'll find stuff to your taste in there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribbits)
    English Literature, it's a nice place to study.
    The Sainsbury's in New Cross is really good as far as Sainsbury's go - I'm sure you'll find stuff to your taste in there.

Cool, I'm coming along to a taster day on the 23rd March.
    Oooh I do hope so

ReputationRep:
    I generally can't stand people with snobbish tastes, but I have to say... my gran brought Morrisons Value jaffa cakes round to my new house the other day and I genuinely felt sick after a nibble at one. Tasted like bleach.

This is the woman who on the same day gave my mum £700 as a housewarming gift. How about using some of that disposable income of yours on decent biscuits, you old hag?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Jus' kiddin, I love my granny :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedrobear)
    I generally can't stand people with snobbish tastes, but I have to say... my gran brought Morrisons Value jaffa cakes round to my new house the other day and I genuinely felt sick after a nibble at one. Tasted like bleach.

This is the woman who on the same day gave my mum £700 as a housewarming gift. How about using some of that disposable income of yours on decent biscuits, you old hag?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Jus' kiddin, I love my granny :love:
    i can put up with some cheap things, what i mean more is i can't do without some ridiculously expensive things, like M&S Jazz apples (genuinely I've tried so many apples and only like these!) or their bread... And Nana cookies, rip off though, £1.69 a cookie.

ReputationRep:
    I have this problem too, i think it is stress. I had a large dinner, chips, fish fingers and grilled pork loin and straight after i felt like i hadn't eaten. Sigh, yes it was unhealthy but let me off today. meanwhile i'm going to go eat more food. I'm not fat either, maybe becuase i eat slow?
    Ditch the expensive tastes, alot of own brand food is actually nicer, but however buying from m&s isn't going to make you poor, you will find M&S isn't that expensive and alot of stuff there is comparable to Tescos etc. I normally shop at Tescos as a student and im fine, you won't starve. Seriously, just when you go ohme, make sure you go grocery shopping with your mum oy something and stock up, my room is full of food.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.