Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm not going to go into too much detail here because its tedious...

Basically two weeks ago we bought a special battery off eBay for £41 (like a car battery) it arrived a few days later while we where out and the delivery company took it to a neighbour who signed for it, when we got home and opened the box the battery had a huge hole in the top and was leaking acid (obviously something had been dropped on it)

We contacted the seller immediately for a refund and three days later got this vague response
    plz snd me piks del company need pik for proof i ned sign statmant 4 proof to if u dnt hav this i wnt refund you EVER this my addy u send pik and sign statmant to this ****@hotmail.co.uk if u no hav them u no get refund
    (his email address has been removed)

So we complied, sent him the pictures; but asked him what he meant by a 'signed statement' as we have never come across this before, its now been nearly 9 days since we sent the pictures to him and we have had no response, we have sent a further two polite emails asking if he has received the pictures with no avail.

I'm now thinking of going directly to PayPal and opening a dispute for a refund, the only problem is in my experience they always ask you to return the item to the seller - this is a no go, as the battery is leaking acid we have asked Royal Mail, DHL, City Link, etc... None of them will accept it - So we are now officially stuck :mad:

Can anyone suggest anything?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    As this was a recorded delivery i.e. signature needed on delivery, you can use the tracking number to see the signature on the website.

Open a claim on Paypal, explain than the battery is leaking, if Paypal still insist that you send it back then they're ignoring health and safety regulations, if they want pics, send it to them.

His English is awful. Chav?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    As this was a recorded delivery i.e. signature needed on delivery, you can use the tracking number to see the signature on the website.

Open a claim on Paypal, explain than the battery is leaking, if Paypal still insist that you send it back then they're ignoring health and safety regulations, if they want pics, send it to them.

His English is awful. Chav?
    Thanks for getting back to me, Unfortunately "After Careful Review of this case" PayPal have decided in their infinite wisdom that I have to return the battery to the seller :banghead:

Of course the fact that I entered three times "I will not be able to return this to the seller as its leaking acid" onto the case notes seem to have been completely ignored :curious:

I have tried contacting them by phone but the phone goes straight to Chinese/Philippine call centres and they cant even understand my email address or my phone number let alone when I start explaining why I cant return it - Phoned back 5 times hoping to speak to someone who could help me with no avail

I have sent them an email this morning and hope it reaches someone with a little more scene, of course my fear is if it goes to one of these Chinese/Philippine there only going to read "Cannot Return" and close the case - I doubt very much they will understand that I cannot return it because its leaking acid :hmmm:

I'm Fuming at the moment, I can see this ending with me loosing £41 just because PayPal staff cant understand English :woo: :crazy:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by DanielNewton)
    Thanks for getting back to me, Unfortunately "After Careful Review of this case" PayPal have decided in their infinite wisdom that I have to return the battery to the seller :banghead:

Of course the fact that I entered three times "I will not be able to return this to the seller as its leaking acid" onto the case notes seem to have been completely ignored :curious:

I have tried contacting them by phone but the phone goes straight to Chinese/Philippine call centres and they cant even understand my email address or my phone number let alone when I start explaining why I cant return it - Phoned back 5 times hoping to speak to someone who could help me with no avail

I have sent them an email this morning and hope it reaches someone with a little more scene, of course my fear is if it goes to one of these Chinese/Philippine there only going to read "Cannot Return" and close the case - I doubt very much they will understand that I cannot return it because its leaking acid :hmmm:

I'm Fuming at the moment, I can see this ending with me loosing £41 just because PayPal staff cant understand English :woo: :crazy:
    :holmes:

Just wait for the reply via email.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    :holmes:

Just wait for the reply via email.
    Still no reply to the email :mad:, I have sent another today in the hope that they will get back to me, apparently I should receive a response within 24 hours :confused:

Literary going to abandon all hope and just close the case if they don't reply by tomorrow, If I don't provide tracking information by the 20th then the case will be closed :mad:

My family have used PayPal for many years, this is the first time they have ever let us down, I can tell I'm going to completely loose this £41 just because their not going to reply.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.