Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Living in halls, with a shared kitchen between quite a lot of us.

Last term there were arguments as to who took the rubbish out, as quite a few people didn't, so this term somebody set up a rota (I don't know why, it was just done without being discussed (not with me at least), which is 2 people per week.

The thing is, I've not used the kitchen this term really, a bit in the first week but I've had about 4 weeks of not using it this term for various reasons, and in fact I've not really seen any of my housemates apart from in passing. The only time they've actually bothered to come and see me other than in passing is to tell me I'm on rota soon.

So I'm kinda annoyed, cos I never agreed to the rota in the first place, I'm ignored until it's my "turn" and I've had nothing to do with the bins for weeks. I'm also really germ-obsessed when it comes to rubbish and the like and I'm overly uncomfortable with touching anything dirty.

I just don't know, am I being selfish if I don't do it? 2 other housemates who didn't use the kitchen last term or this term weren't put on the rota at all.
    For the reasons above I'm thinking not to do it, but I feel selfish

ReputationRep:
    Say it and stand for what you believe.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't put up with having a rota at all, especially when you're not on great terms with the rest of the housemates. By having a rota people avoid responsibility for their own actions and won't care that they've made a mess because "it's someone elses' job to clean up today/this week". People then forget, the next person on the list is then too busy and it's now 4 days worth of cleaning which is unfair on whoever is listed to do it on that day. The best way to do it is to clean up as you go, clean up your own areas and then once a week with housemates give the place a once over with people doing the tasks they prefer. Don't be mad if there's the odd plate or if someone is too busy for a session, but if they make a habit out of missing cleaning then have words with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    I wouldn't put up with having a rota at all, especially when you're not on great terms with the rest of the housemates. By having a rota people avoid responsibility for their own actions and won't care that they've made a mess because "it's someone elses' job to clean up today/this week". People then forget, the next person on the list is then too busy and it's now 4 days worth of cleaning which is unfair on whoever is listed to do it on that day. The best way to do it is to clean up as you go, clean up your own areas and then once a week with housemates give the place a once over with people doing the tasks they prefer. Don't be mad if there's the odd plate or if someone is too busy for a session, but if they make a habit out of missing cleaning then have words with them.
    I think I'm going to put this into practice in my house too. Our landlord came over on Friday and played hell over the (disgusting) state of the house. We have two new housemates who NEVER clean after themselves, and because we refuse to tidy after them it simply didn't get done. On Friday (while these two housemates were out at work) the rest of us cleaned the entire house top to bottom, it's stayed clean over the weekend because the messy housemates were absent, but after two nights the kitchen, living room and bathroom are a tip again. I've emptied an overflowing kitchen bin three times since Friday, I've had to wash plates and cutlery just so I can cook, and I'm fed up of living in a sty. Yet I have to demonstrate to my landlord that I can be tidy before he moves me, which means I end up doing all the cleaning. It's not fair! I think Friday is going to become house-clean day because most of us are at home, and these jobs need to be done. Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    so you dont have rubbish you throw out? come on now everyone does

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissStardust)
    Living in halls, with a shared kitchen between quite a lot of us.

Last term there were arguments as to who took the rubbish out, as quite a few people didn't, so this term somebody set up a rota (I don't know why, it was just done without being discussed (not with me at least), which is 2 people per week.

The thing is, I've not used the kitchen this term really, a bit in the first week but I've had about 4 weeks of not using it this term for various reasons, and in fact I've not really seen any of my housemates apart from in passing. The only time they've actually bothered to come and see me other than in passing is to tell me I'm on rota soon.

So I'm kinda annoyed, cos I never agreed to the rota in the first place, I'm ignored until it's my "turn" and I've had nothing to do with the bins for weeks. I'm also really germ-obsessed when it comes to rubbish and the like and I'm overly uncomfortable with touching anything dirty.

I just don't know, am I being selfish if I don't do it? 2 other housemates who didn't use the kitchen last term or this term weren't put on the rota at all.
    For the reasons above I'm thinking not to do it, but I feel selfish
    If you don't want to be ignored, don't ignore them.
    If you're germ obsessed, wash your hands.
    And yes, you are being selfish. You all live in the same spot. Even if you don't use something, you should still clean up the spot where you live, especially if it's something like taking out the rubbish. Obviously don't do someone else's dishes, cah that's bare long alie.

ReputationRep:
    Either everyone should be on the rota and just do it regardless or everyone should clear up their own mess, that's what I think is fair. I think for a kitchen and things like bins it shouldn't matter whether you haven't used it because it's a communal area. Best thing is to just put up with it and do it. As it's been said, rotas don't often work and you may end up having to clean up someone's flith but if you want a clean kitchen and no arguments there's no much you can do.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.