Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to transfer courses because my current course is horrible (media production at DMU), I enquired about transferring courses to another however I was told it was not possible due to a surge in applicants this year.

This leaves me pretty much up the creek as I have a deposit down on a house for next year with a few friends but I really dont want to carry on my course just to live there and if I don't do my course I have no other options as I was hoping it was a simple procedure to transfer over.

Can anyone help?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Durops)
    I wanted to transfer courses because my current course is horrible (media production at DMU), I enquired about transferring courses to another however I was told it was not possible due to a surge in applicants this year.

This leaves me pretty much up the creek as I have a deposit down on a house for next year with a few friends but I really dont want to carry on my course just to live there and if I don't do my course I have no other options as I was hoping it was a simple procedure to transfer over.

Can anyone help?
    I'd reassess the situation when the new academic year starts. Register your interest now and if there are places on the course in September/October you should be able to switch then. Remember, people will miss their offers, others will decide not to go to university at all and others will leave during the first term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Deeds)
    I'd reassess the situation when the new academic year starts. Register your interest now and if there are places on the course in September/October you should be able to switch then. Remember, people will miss their offers, others will decide not to go to university at all and others will leave during the first term.
    That was the plan however they said they had 3x as many people applying for the course and thus me transferring in for the academic year of 2010 is, and I quote "Impossible".

I would of thought as an existing student that I'd have a priority of some sorts and fast track it, I guess not.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    That was the plan however they said they had 3x as many people applying for the course and thus me transferring in for the academic year of 2010 is, and I quote "Impossible".

I would of thought as an existing student that I'd have a priority of some sorts and fast track it, I guess not.
    Well they can only accept as many people as they have places for; or else they'll exceed their targets and thus be fined. Even if in Septmber/October they're at maximum capacity it's very unlikely that not even one person will drop out. If you get good grades this year then there's no reason why they won't let you fill that person's place. After all, they'd rather your money for the next 3 years than for you to drop-out two years early. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Deeds)
    Well they can only accept as many people as they have places for; or else they'll exceed their targets and thus be fined. Even if in Septmber/October they're at maximum capacity it's very unlikely that not even one person will drop out. If you get good grades this year then there's no reason why they won't let you fill that person's place. After all, they'd rather your money for the next 3 years than for you to drop-out two years early. :yes:
    I agree. The way I was told indicated otherwise though.

I don't really know what I can do now though - do I carry on with my course and hope I can transfer over from the drop outs. Or could I possibly just get a job and live in the student housing until I can get in on 2011?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I agree. The way I was told indicated otherwise though.

I don't really know what I can do now though - do I carry on with my course and hope I can transfer over from the drop outs. Or could I possibly just get a job and live in the student housing until I can get in on 2011?
    If you drop out now you'll still be liable to pay your tuition fee and, probably, your university accommodation. Also, it doesn't really make sense for you to drop out of your first year now with a view to transferring to a course which you've not formally applied for.

If you leave the university the only way you will be able to get a place on the course is by re-applying via UCAS alongside everybody else in Septmeber. That would mean taking another year out, paying rent (and council tax since you won't be a student) for somewhere you probably won't live in.

If I were you, I'd either 1.) drop out now with a view to not going back at all and find somebody to take your room next year, or 2.) Stick it out, get a good mark this summer and then apply to transfer in September. Naturally your university will have told you that it's impossible but I highly doubt that it is.

ReputationRep:
    If you drop out now you'll still be liable to pay your tuition fee and, probably, your university accommodation. Also, it doesn't really make sense for you to drop out of your first year now with a view to transferring to a course which you've not formally applied for.

If you leave the university the only way you will be able to get a place on the course is by re-applying via UCAS alongside everybody else in Septmeber. That would mean taking another year out, paying rent (and council tax since you won't be a student) for somewhere you probably won't live in.

If I were you, I'd either 1.) drop out now with a view to not going back at all and find somebody to take your room next year, or 2.) Stick it out, get a good mark this summer and then apply to transfer in September. Naturally your university will have told you that it's impossible but I highly doubt that it is.
    I dont plan on dropping out now, I want to pass the year just in case.

The original plan was to transfer now to start in Sept 2010 and finish this current year.

The way its going is the route of 2) which is to carry on my course into the second year then apply to transfer over to the first year of the course I want to do. It isn't an ideal situation though.

ReputationRep:
    Im also in the similar situation, studying at Uni of Kent. I took Accounting and Finance, and I totally hate my course. I even asked them if I could change my course after week 6, but they said that it was impossible.

So Im changing my Uni this Sep. I suggest you also do the same thing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.