ReputationRep:
    1, 2, 4, 8..........

Q1) Arithmetic or Geometric?
    Q2) What is the difference
    Q3) What is the last term (Un)
    Q4) What is the 20th term
    Q5) Sum of all terms?
    Q6) Sum of 10 terms!!!

I missed 4 lessons, somebody help me out, please.

(Original post by TWF)
    I missed 4 lessons, somebody help me out, please.
    Your teacher?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glutamic Acid)
    Your teacher?
    It's homework, in for today, in 45 minutes. Help.....

ReputationRep:
    Your teacher?
    Why ****** bother joinging a help forum to post trash like that?

Ok, if its not to late

A geometric sequence has a 'common ratio' an arithmetic has a common difference

SO is the sequence going up by the same number? no..therefore it may be geometric

To check, divide each term by the previous. If the number is the same you have your common ration.

Now...the rest of the questions (IIRC) need numerous formula..if you have the time, find them and use them once you have found the first term (a) and the common ratio (r)

to find a term in a geometirc sequence ar^(n-1)
    sum will be (a(R^n - 1))/(R-1) and sum to infinity will be a/(1-r)

That should get you going as I forgot the whole question

That will get you going.

(Original post by dexter -1)
    Why ****** bother joinging a help forum to post trash like that?
    It's not trash, I'm directing him to a useful source. When this forum is used as a help forum, its intention is to help people who've thought about a topic or question for a bit, are stuck/curious to know more, and people will reply. But there's little use trying to teach someone an entire topic (especially when it's forced to be rushed by handing in homework); TSR isn't a direct substitute for school. Nothing you've said is wrong (though the sum to infinity only exists for |r|<1), but in most C2 courses geometric progressions and series will consume an entire chapter, and, though you were trying to be helpful, condensing it into half a dozen lines will make it lose all of the subtleties discovered when one learns it in school, or at least from reading a textbook. But more important when it's taught, or at least when read in a thorough textbook. But mainly school; for most people find being taught a more natural way of learning that just reading through notes/textbooks, and indeed that's why lecturers exist. I just think it would've been better all round if the original poster had admitted to not doing the homework and asked for help, rather than trying to hand in not-completely-understood work from a super-condensed half-a-dozen lines on an Internet forum.

ReputationRep:
    It's not trash, I'm directing him to a useful source. When this forum is used as a help forum, its intention is to help people who've thought about a topic or question for a bit, are stuck/curious to know more, and people will reply. But there's little use trying to teach someone an entire topic (especially when it's forced to be rushed by handing in homework); TSR isn't a direct substitute for school. Nothing you've said is wrong (though the sum to infinity only exists for |r|<1), but in most C2 courses geometric progressions and series will consume an entire chapter, and, though you were trying to be helpful, condensing it into half a dozen lines will make it lose all of the subtleties discovered when one learns it in school, or at least from reading a textbook. But more important when it's taught, or at least when read in a thorough textbook. But mainly school; for most people find being taught a more natural way of learning that just reading through notes/textbooks, and indeed that's why lecturers exist. I just think it would've been better all round if the original poster had admitted to not doing the homework and asked for help, rather than trying to hand in not-completely-understood work from a super-condensed half-a-dozen lines on an Internet forum.
    It's not like I don't get it, I was taught it, and handed this piece for homework last Thursday. But I missed all lessons after that until today, I just used it as an excuse for not knowing. How can I be given it for homework if I haven't been taught it? Lol....

Why fcukin bother joinging a help forum to post trash like that?

Ok, if its not to late

A geometric sequence has a 'common ratio' an arithmetic has a common difference

SO is the sequence going up by the same number? no..therefore it may be geometric

To check, divide each term by the previous. If the number is the same you have your common ration.

Now...the rest of the questions (IIRC) need numerous formula..if you have the time, find them and use them once you have found the first term (a) and the common ratio (r)

to find a term in a geometirc sequence ar^(n-1)
    sum will be (a(R^n - 1))/(R-1) and sum to infinity will be a/(1-r)

That should get you going as I forgot the whole question

That will get you going.
    Thanks. That's all I needed, a start, it's not like I posted the whole sheet.

P.S. she gave me an extra day, luckily.

ReputationRep:
    Utter rubbish. You are now trying to justify your actions with more garbage.
    Why bother being part of a forum if you tell someone looking for help to go back to their teacher.

Utter rubbish. You are now trying to justify your actions with more garbage.
    Why bother being part of a forum if you tell someone looking forhelp to go back to their teacher.
    "Trash, rubbish, garbage", do yu think that if you exhaust every synonym for "waste" then the words you put together may constitute an argument? You've completely ignored my post, and just restated yourself, and I'm forced to conclude you're incapable of having a reasonable discussion, good day.

ReputationRep:
    I shall go ask my teacher to help me with synonyms...that of course is what this forum is all about.

ReputationRep:
    You first need to know the basics:

Arithmetic progressions

a1=first term
    d= common difference for Arithmetic progressions
    ak=general term
    an or l=last term

Arithmetic progressions are such that there is common difference across the whole progression ie. a progression with d=5 and a1=3:

The formulae you should learn for A.P.s are:

general term ak=a1+(k-1)d
    last term an=a1+(n-1)d
    Sum to n terms = Sn=n/2(2a+(n-1)d)

Geometric progressions

r=common ratio

A geometric progression is one which you multiply the previous term by a common ratio

general term:ak=ar^(k-1)
    Sum of terms: Sn=(a(1-r^n))/(1-r))
    Sum to infinity: S∞= a/(1-r) and the conditions for convergence is that -1< r <1

The example you gave is clearly geometric with a common ratio of 2

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 11, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.