Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Amazon prime, thought it was a free trial, turns out it wasn't, charged £49. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just before the new year I ordered some things from amazon. when I went through the order process there was a thing you ticked for amazon prime. It's where you always get next day deliveries.

I thought it was a free trial for a month or so. I read it through a couple of times to make sure, and still thought it was.

I have just got my bank statment through, and on Febuary 1st I was charged £49 from AmazonPrime. I haven't bought anything from Amazon, the only thing I can think of is this.

I am pissed off.

I'll get my parents to look at it this evening. I want to know if anyonw else has had this?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You were probably supposed to cancel your subscription before the month ended to avoid being charged.

WELL DONE :dunce:

ReputationRep:
    My dad is a Prime member and yeah, he has been charged £49 (though this is for the whole year, I believe?)

But he knew what he was getting into anyway.

ReputationRep:
    When you sign up for the free trial it tells you that you need to cancel it or it will rollover and charge you for a whole year automatically.

ReputationRep:
    I thought this trick never worked on anyone.

ReputationRep:
    im so glad i checked mine, i didnt even realise i was signed up for it

ReputationRep:
    I started the prime trial a few months back but made sure I cancelled it a few days before i was going to be charged.

I guess you just need to read it more carefully next time :P

ReputationRep:
    lol. I started the free trial. Cancelled it the following day, just to make sure I wouldn't be charged.

ReputationRep:
    Turns out I didn't read it as carefully as I first thought. I was supposed to cancel before my trial ended.
    It was £49 for the year.

I rang up, explained it all and they were really good. They cancelled it and are refunding my money.

Phew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))
    Turns out I didn't read it as carefully as I first thought. I was supposed to cancel before my trial ended.
    It was £49 for the year.

I rang up, explained it all and they were really good. They cancelled it and are refunding my money.

Phew.
    I never thought that would actually work. The whole point of a trial is to steal money off of unsuspecting people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    I never thought that would actually work. The whole point of a trial is to steal money off of unsuspecting people.
    I know. I was all ready to fight my case and have a little argument with them.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i signed up to get a few items, and then cancelled before it took £49.

sneaky way of doing it, but i bet they are quids in now.

ReputationRep:
    just happened to me. so sneaky, i saw my bank acount and thought i'd had my details robbed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.