Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Fathers Paying Child Maintenance watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    We all know that if woman get's pregnant she is able to have an abortion without the consent of the father which is fair enough seeing as it's her body and he wouldn't have to carry the baby. But say for example the couple's contraception failed (and they subsequently split up) but the mother decided to keep the baby whilst the father didn't want it for whatever reason, do you think it's fair that the father should have to pay child maintenance?

Personally I think it's unfair. If they used contraception properly then it's not like he knew the consequences. He has no say in whether to keep the baby or not yet would be expected to pay regardless of whether he wanted it. Would it not be fairer that father could legally "divorce" themselves from the baby meaning they wouldn't have to pay but forfeiting all rights to see the child from that point?

ReputationRep:
    No it is fair. Take responsibility and grow a pair.

ReputationRep:
    A Dad should pay his way for his child regardless if he wants to have the child. At the end the child is his.

ReputationRep:
    Children need food and clothes and shelter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caraa91)
    No it is fair. Take responsibility and grow a pair.
    LOL I haven't even got close to getting a girl pregnant so I'm good. It's more hypothetical.

ReputationRep:
    I think too many men would take the option of "I won't ever see my child so I don't have to pay". Unfortunately as the woman is the one to carry the baby, they are the ones with the most say in the matter. If you end up getting a woman pregnant and she wants to keep it, as it's half yours then you should pay. I think a man that doesn't want to support their child is disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    I actually kinda agree with the OP, it does seem to take the piss a bit that he has to pay for the child if he did not wish to have one.

ReputationRep:
    I do agree, there should be a way for men to give up all parental rights and not pay maintenance.

ReputationRep:
    I mean you'd be pretty heartless not to want to see or help pay for the child once it's born but at the point of contraception do you not think there should be some kind of choice? It's like a couple browsing a shop. One wants the item the other doesn't but they share the same bank account. The one who does want it buys it anyway so in effect the other person is half paying for it despite not wanting it. Really bad analogy I know but can you see what I'm getting at?

ReputationRep:
    This issue isn't about the parents - it's about what's best for a child. It's not fair if a child has to go without certain things if his/her father is earning twice as much as his/her mother who they live with. If men were allowed to 'divorce' their children, it would be easier for fathers who wanted to start a new family to ignore their children from previous relationships. It's already for too easy for them to avoid paying child maintenance.

ReputationRep:
    I sort of agree with OP but I also think that every time you have sex there is a chance you could father a child if X/Y/Z happened. It's not the child's fault if the contraception failed and its mother didn't want an abortion.

ReputationRep:
    What about in the case of a woman tricking a man into getting her pregnant, i.e. lying about being on the pill? You could probably have a case for fraud or similar if you could prove it in court.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lindsey123)
    I sort of agree with OP but I also think that every time you have sex there is a chance you could father a child if X/Y/Z happened. It's not the child's fault if the contraception failed and its mother didn't want an abortion.
    You can't think about that every time you are about to have sex. If you use proper contraception then there is statistically less than 2% chance of the girl getting pregnant.

So most times if the two parties are responsible and sensible enough then it won't happen.

If it happens, doesn't matter if it is by mistake or not it means a new life is coming into this world, that needs feeding and looking after.

These days that requires money, so it's not too much to ask for the father to be responsible and do his part.

ReputationRep:
    Its a very difficult subject, and some people could turn around and say, "if you werent ready for the consequences you shouldnt have had sex in the first place" but its no ones fault if the contraception failed. In terms of the woman wanting to keep the baby and the man not waiting it, well, no one can be forced to have an abortion, its not the right thing to do, whether or not the father wants the baby, he cant control what the mother wants. But then a baby needs food and warmth and clothes and lots of other things, if the father decided to "divorce " from the child now, would that give him the right to come walking back into the childs life if and when he wanted to? Regardless of who is at fault, it certainly isnt the child, and if i was a male and i knew i had a child out there, i certainly wouldnt want to think it was suffering because it didnt have enough money. I would want my own flesh and blood to be given the best start in life, even if I wasnt physically a part of it.
    That is just my own opinion, but i can see where the OP is coming from. As a woman i guess im a bit biased as to what side im on, but accidents happen from time to time, and that is just life, and you have to learn to cope with the consequences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelin Man)
    What about in the case of a woman tricking a man into getting her pregnant, i.e. lying about being on the pill? You could probably have a case for fraud or similar if you could prove it in court.
    My friend's boyfriend has a six year old son from that exact situation. He has always paid for him though and now he's older he is happy to have a son.

You could argue in that situation that the man didn't protect himself with a condom. It is as much the man's responsibility to not get the woman pregnant, as it is the woman's to not get pregnant. People just don't seem to get that.

ReputationRep:
    Frankly the man has a moral duty to contribute to the upbringing of their own flesh and blood son/daughter. It shouldn't matter whether they want it or not - you can't just say that the woman could have had an abortion because many view that as a form of murder and may well be 100% against the woman's principles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absinth)
    I actually kinda agree with the OP, it does seem to take the piss a bit that he has to pay for the child if he did not wish to have one.
    If he didn't want a child then he shouldn't participate in the act of sex.

Yes he might have used contraception, but it doesn't take a genius to work out that nothing is 100% safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    You can't think about that every time you are about to have sex. If you use proper contraception then there is statistically less than 2% chance of the girl getting pregnant.

So most times if the two parties are responsible and sensible enough then it won't happen.

If it happens, doesn't matter if it is by mistake or not it means a new life is coming into this world, that needs feeding and looking after.

These days that requires money, so it's not too much to ask for the father to be responsible and do his part.
    My point is that there is always a chance that the girl could get pregnant, however small (unless she has had a hysterectomy or whatever). So you have to be prepared for that. Completely agree with the rest of your reply though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dream_Catcher)
    If he didn't want a child then he shouldn't participate in the act of sex.

Yes he might have used contraception, but it doesn't take a genius to work out that nothing is 100% safe.
    So everyone should only have sex when they want a child. :rolleyes: Anything else is just wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absinth)
    So everyone should only have sex when they want a child. :rolleyes: Anything else is just wrong.

In a true sense: yes! But then again I'd miss it myself, but if I were to become pregnant I'd take responsibility for that child just like I do with my son.

Life is wrong in so many ways. But mature people take responsibility over their actions.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.