Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absinth)
    So everyone should only have sex when they want a child. :rolleyes: Anything else is just wrong.
    Well if you're catholic that's certainly the case :cool: :cool:

ReputationRep:
    So everyone should only have sex when they want a child. :rolleyes: Anything else is just wrong.
    Or maybe anyone who has sex, with or without contraception should accept the fact that pregnancy and thus a child may result from that act.

To the OP, what would happen if men were allowed to give up parental and financial responsibility to their child? What would happen if a couple decide to have a child, the woman gets pregnant the guy changes his mind and leaves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelin Man)
    If they used contraception properly then it's not like he knew the consequences.

This doesn't wash. You're having sex? There may be expensive, pukey consequences. End of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yokel)
    Or maybe anyone who has sex, with or without contraception should accept the fact that pregnancy and thus a child may result from that act.

To the OP, what would happen if men were allowed to give up parental and financial responsibility to their child? What would happen if a couple decide to have a child, the woman gets pregnant the guy changes his mind and leaves?
    Well you can give up parental resposibility AFAIK but you can't give up financial. I mean a mum is highly unlikely to give a kid to the dad to look after if he really doesn't care for the child. I hadn't really thought about this in detail it was just a thought that came into my head and wanted to know what others thought. Obviously you can't "change your mind" about having a kid. You can't undo pregnancy only stop it.

Personally I would never do this. I would like to think I'd want to be in the childs life regardless of whether it was planned. I've never been in the situation so can't really say though.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the guy should have to pay child maintenance unless he wants to be involved in the child's life. If he changes his mind, he should have to make back payments either directly to the mother/child or to the government who is ending up supporting his child.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it came across as more of a "there are consequences" than "you want a child"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spinnerette)
    I thought it came across as more of a "there are consequences" than "you want a child"
    If he didn't want a child then he shouldn't participate in the act of sex.
    That's the original quote.

ReputationRep:
    i think its unfair he has to pay, if the father cant make the woman keep a baby if he wants it and she doesnt i dont think he should have to pay for it if she wants it and he doesnt

ReputationRep:
    I've said this on here before. I don't think the father should have to pay if he didn't want it and the mother did and they had discussed it. There would have to be some sort of legal form to sign saying that they had decided that the father didn't want and the mum did though, taking someone's word for it would never work! :rolleyes: You can't just decide when it's born "oh well, I don't want it, I'm not paying anything".

ReputationRep:
    It does seem very unfair that a woman can choose to have a child whereas a man, to an extent, can't. I do think that the final say on abortion should be down to the woman, but I also think that she should take responsibility for that decision.

Ofc. some men should pay child maintenance, I certainly don't think it should be all down to the woman - but if the man wasn't involved in the choice, I don't think I fully understand why he should be forced to take responsibility for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    This issue isn't about the parents - it's about what's best for a child. It's not fair if a child has to go without certain things if his/her father is earning twice as much as his/her mother who they live with. If men were allowed to 'divorce' their children, it would be easier for fathers who wanted to start a new family to ignore their children from previous relationships. It's already for too easy for them to avoid paying child maintenance.
    Does someone ask the unborn child in the mothers womb whether he/she wants to live? When the mother is thinking of getting rid?

It's not whats best for the child or the bloke ,but whats best for the woman.Always has been.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doodahdoo)
    Ofc. some men should pay child maintenance, I certainly don't think it should be all down to the woman - but if the man wasn't involved in the choice, I don't think I fully understand why he should be forced to take responsibility for it.
    Mainly because children need paying for.

ReputationRep:
    He shouldn't of slept with her in the first place if he isn't prepared to deal with the consequences. That being said, the amount of child support men have to pay to women is absolutely ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    Mainly because children need paying for.
    Most people who plan to have children take into account finances before deciding whether or not to. If you decide that you are going to have a baby (ignoring your sexual partner's choice), you need to take into account that children are expensive - it's part of the responsibility of having a child, which the mother took on by deciding to keep the child against her partner's wishes.

(Original post by katierattray)
    A Dad should pay his way for his child regardless if he wants to have the child. At the end the child is his.
    Men should have the right to abort it then?

At the end the child is his.

ReputationRep:
    Solution:

Divorce and pray that she gets married, so you don't have to support her anymore...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    He shouldn't of slept with her in the first place if he isn't prepared to deal with the consequences. That being said, the amount of child support men have to pay to women is absolutely ridiculous.
    I guess this applies to legalized prostitution as well, no? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    I guess this applies to legalized prostitution as well, no? :confused:
    I don't understand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    Does someone ask the unborn child in the mothers womb whether he/she wants to live? When the mother is thinking of getting rid?

It's not whats best for the child or the bloke ,but whats best for the woman.Always has been.
    That's because biologically she's the one who has to carry it for nine months. I'd say there are more disadvantages than advantages to that. A man walking out on a woman when she's pregnant/has a young child is not usually a woman's choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    I don't understand?
    What if you have sex for money and she gets pregnant, although that was clearly not part of the agreement. And, she gives birth, aren't you still the biological father, hence you MUST pay up?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.