Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinywings)
    It not about what's best for the father though, it's about what's best for the child.
    It might also be best for the child to get to spend a more comparitively similar time with his father than with his mother, but that never seems to get factored into decisions, does it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelin Man)
    Well you can give up parental resposibility AFAIK but you can't give up financial. I mean a mum is highly unlikely to give a kid to the dad to look after if he really doesn't care for the child. I hadn't really thought about this in detail it was just a thought that came into my head and wanted to know what others thought. Obviously you can't "change your mind" about having a kid. You can't undo pregnancy only stop it.

Personally I would never do this. I would like to think I'd want to be in the childs life regardless of whether it was planned. I've never been in the situation so can't really say though.

I am undecided about the "male abortion", I think there are obviously benefits to men. However, I worry that there would be loads of incidences of men wanting to settle down, agreeing to try for/have a baby with their partner, changing their mind and simply removing themselves from the situation. Who's to say that he didn't want a baby and didn't intend to get his girlfriend pregnant?

I actually think that situation would be worse than what we've got now. From what I've seen and heard about parents, particulary fathers running out on their kids after they're born, I don't think giving men the option to give up financial responsibility before any child is born would be a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    It might also be best for the child to get to spend a more comparitively similar time with his father than with his mother, but that never seems to get factored into decisions, does it?
    This is a thread about whether or not men should be alllowed to give up financial responsibility to their child, why are you bringing up time how much time a child should spend with it's father?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yokel)
    This is a thread about whether or not men should be alllowed to give up financial responsibility to their child, why are you bringing up time how much time a child should spend with it's father?
    Because the person remarked that decisions to do with fathers and their children should be about what's best for the child. To be honest, I've no strong opinions on it really. Sometimes I just write something for no reason lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Obviously not. Children under 16 are not legally able to consent to sex and therefore can't be held responsible for any consequences of it.
    You are such a poof. :eek:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.