Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    recently we've had a new building and library built at my college
    and in the old library the rule was 'no drinks or food, except water' which is a fair rule

but now in the new library we're not allowed even bottles of drinking water... isn't this a violation of health and safety?

ReputationRep:
    I agree it's stupid not to have water in libraries but it is allowed....you can't even take water into the Bodleian Library!

ReputationRep:
    i don't think that is allowed... but i don't know for sure. if you can have them in exams you should be allowed in the library... and how much damage can water cause?!

P.S. there is hardly anyone on here who wants to go bucks! have you got an offer yet ?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have thought it'd be against health and safety- it's not as if you're going to be locked in there for hours on end without any hope of water. If you're really that desperate you could always leave for a few minutes :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    well yeah we can leave, but my main worry was that if i have loads of stuff out on my desk and i just want a mouthful of water then i dont really want to have to pack up all my stuff just to leave for 5 seconds, nor do i want to leave my stuff unattended (lots of chavs, and the librarians get funny with unattended stuff)

i have two 3 hour breaks and one 2 hour break every week so it's kinda annoying

we do have computers in there, and i understand having no food or drink anywhere near them, but if you're sitting at one of the normal desks you still cant drink

i just thought it was quite odd is all

(Original post by jenny28)
    P.S. there is hardly anyone on here who wants to go bucks! have you got an offer yet ?
    i know! i havent yet, however im getting worried that i wont get into uni at all so i dont see the point in waiting haha but i will just in case it was my first choice, but now my first choice is middlesex. have you heard anything from BNU yet?

xx

ReputationRep:
    The rule will eventually phase out. It's just because the building is new. People will stop enforcing it soon enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kay_spiritedaway)

i know! i havent yet, however im getting worried that i wont get into uni at all so i dont see the point in waiting haha but i will just in case it was my first choice, but now my first choice is middlesex. have you heard anything from BNU yet?

xx
    haha im sure you will! yh well im doin graphics so ive been up for interview and accepted them as my firm choice! excited!!!

ReputationRep:
    Just don't drink water there. I mean honestly can't you just drink before or after?

Is it really that vital to drink ALL the time.

I have NEVER taken a drink into an exam before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FranticMind)
    Just don't drink water there. I mean honestly can't you just drink before or after?

Is it really that vital to drink ALL the time.

I have NEVER taken a drink into an exam before.
    well excuse me for getting thirsty :curious:

i'm not the only one in my college who thinks this rule is stupid.

fyi, im on medication where i need to stay well hydrated so yes it is actually necessary for me to have a bottle of water handy.

if you're revising for a long period of time im pretty sure you'd want a drink.

and what has taking water into an exam got to do with it exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps there should be a water fountain outside the library.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenny28)
    i don't think that is allowed... but i don't know for sure. if you can have them in exams you should be allowed in the library... and how much damage can water cause?!

Serious?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know many libraries that do allow water, if needs be you can pop outside for 30 seconds and have a drink.

ReputationRep:
    well yeah we can leave, but my main worry was that if i have loads of stuff out on my desk and i just want a mouthful of water then i dont really want to have to pack up all my stuff just to leave for 5 seconds, nor do i want to leave my stuff unattended (lots of chavs, and the librarians get funny with unattended stuff)

i have two 3 hour breaks and one 2 hour break every week so it's kinda annoying

we do have computers in there, and i understand having no food or drink anywhere near them, but if you're sitting at one of the normal desks you still cant drink

i just thought it was quite odd is all

xx
    A library is hardly chav central.

ReputationRep:
    just take water in anyway? If it's anything like our library theres 5 or 6 floors and the staff are hardly around in places other than the ground floor (food and drink is actually allowed in our library i think. Just not hot food. There's even vending machines inside ours..)

ReputationRep:
    It's not against H&S since they are not telling you that you MUST got for a long period of time without hydrating at all. If you're that worried, then drink before you go in, and in your breaks between revision, then go out of the library doors, drink water and come back in. If the librarians get funny about your unattended stuff, explain that you have a medical condition and need to drink plenty of water, but due to the rules you cannot. It's actually quite a fair rule, or so I find .

ReputationRep:
    well excuse me for getting thirsty :curious:

i'm not the only one in my college who thinks this rule is stupid.

fyi, im on medication where i need to stay well hydrated so yes it is actually necessary for me to have a bottle of water handy.

if you're revising for a long period of time im pretty sure you'd want a drink.

and what has taking water into an exam got to do with it exactly?
    Take a doctor's note with you :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friendly_fiend2)
    A library is hardly chav central.
    It's like a school/sixth form/college library. The kids are often bound to the fencing separating the school from the rest of the town and so yes, libraries do get filled with "chavs"...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    It's not against H&S since they are not telling you that you MUST got for a long period of time without hydrating at all. If you're that worried, then drink before you go in, and in your breaks between revision, then go out of the library doors, drink water and come back in. If the librarians get funny about your unattended stuff, explain that you have a medical condition and need to drink plenty of water, but due to the rules you cannot. It's actually quite a fair rule, or so I find .
    that's a good idea actually, thanks [:

my college is filled with chavs.. and yes even the library is full of them obvs i know i can leave to drink (i am nearly 20, im not silly lol) but i am petrified of one of them nicking my stuff... yeah this is probably a stereotype but meh i dont care.

yeah tis a fair rule really. i think it's because we're all used to be able to drink in the old library :/ but they are so strict sometimes.. cant even laugh!

ReputationRep:
    If you have glass on the doors, try and get a table near enough to the doors that you can see see your things

ReputationRep:
    One small tip is to drill out the inside of a long pencil and put a rubber plug on one end. Carefully fill the pencil with water and then put another rubber plug on the other end.
    When you feel thirsty chew the end of the pencil as if you are thinking thoughtfully about something really profound and secretly pull off the rubber plug with your front teeth.
    Conceal the rubber plug under your tongue and suck up the water, trying to look as if you are surprised by an intellectual insight that has just staggered you.
    It works every time. Alternatively, fill the pencil with something stronger.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.