Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm in my second year of Eng Lit at UEA. I'm really enjoying it, got lovely modules this semester, but the reading is really bringing me down. sounds stupid for an english student to be worried about reading, but there's just SO MUCH of it! This semester I have to read a Shakespeare play, a novel by Austen/one of the Brontes and a European novel (eg Kafka, Sartre) every week. I cannot figure out how I can physically do this! at the moment I've sunk into reading one of the texts for each week and then reading the beginning and summaries of the others. Unfortunately my course didn't publish the reading lists until the beginning of the semester, and then by procrastination got in the way.

Help! I'm wondering how other people with similar amounts of reading organise their time. Do you have a set timetable? Do you read one text at a time, or all in one go? It feels like I work hard at the reading, and its great when I finish something in time for the seminar, but then there's always another one right on its heels

Also, slightly different point- because of last minute essay writing the night before a deadline, my tutors have been telling me that my essay writing skills are not great. Any simple ways to improve these?

Thanks for reading and please help before I pull my hair out :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Anybody got any ideas/ feel the same?! (coursework won't help with this haha) It's really making me feel like I can't live up to my course I'm not a slow reader, I just can't do it!

ReputationRep:
    With the reading, there mostly isn't anything to be done other than just getting on with it. It can be quite hard to concentrate on reading for prolonged periods, so it might help to change what work you're doing from time to time. It doesn't really sound helpful, but there are people who read more than two novels and a play per week, so it is certainly possible.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.