Attendance at 6th form; do unis look at it?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
TheMeister
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I've heard that they don't pay much attention to attendance at 6th form/college/whatever, but is it true?
aeterno
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 years ago
I can't see how the universities would find this out tbh.

Although it depends on your reference - whilst the reference will likely be one showing you in a favourable light, if attendance isn't mentioned at all, the unis will read between the lines and likely realise that your attendance is not so great. However, I doubt it's a major factor for allocation of places though - unless of course you're applying to a very competitive course and it's a tie between offering a place to you and some other student with the same predicted grades as you etc. then the other person might get the place if their attendance is better.

But overall - no, not really a big deal for unis. Your grades and personal statement are of more importance to them.
CHEM1STRY
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Your school would send a reference if you skived too much... it probably wouldn't look too good
i.am.lost
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
If the school mentions that you take a lot of time off then the unis may be concerned about taking you on. I had a pretty bad attendance in year 12 (~80%) [which has dropped down to ~60% this year incidentally ] so my school didn't mention it in my reference so as not to harm my application. It would be rather *****y to point out your faults, while your school won't lie for you, they want you to do well so I doubt they'd ever mention it unless they hated you.
Doubledog
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
If the course is hard to get into it will make a difference if - all other things being equal- other applicants have been turning up for their classes and you haven't.
What did you expect?
Awesome-o
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Why on earth would your school tell your prospective university that you haven't been attending class? Don't they want leavers going on to higher education?
Delight :)
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I hope they do.. 99% right here
PsYCho ThInKeR
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
maybe its just to scare us but when i was applying to uni my sixth form told us that they have to comment on attendance in the reference section.
Doubledog
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
"Why on earth would your school tell your prospective university that you haven't been attending class?"
It's on the list of things the ucas form asks them to comment on.
kevin_123
Badges: 13
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Delight :))
I hope they do.. 99% right here
Well, if you get AAA with 60% attendance that would look pretty damn good.. it's like "Yeah, I'm so smart I only need to turn up for half the lesson and I get straight As.." :p:
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kevin_123)
Well, if you get AAA with 60% attendance that would look pretty damn good.. it's like "Yeah, I'm so smart I only need to turn up for half the lesson and I get straight As.." :p:
Lool yeah, if only I could get straight A's
kevin_123
Report 11 years ago
Lool yeah, if only I could get straight A's
Hehe, what are you getting? And what subjects do oyu take? Just curious :p:
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
My attendance was awful. They don't know unless your school decide to tell them.
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kevin_123)
Hehe, what are you getting? And what subjects do oyu take? Just curious :p:
Lool dunno.. hopefully straight A's.. I take Business Studies, Economics,Government and Politics and History
wHat about you
ZJ4GK
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I don't think so, I had absolutely shocking attendance last year (40-50%) and I've received 5 offers. The only way it has adversely affected my application is that my grades aren't as good as they could of been.
x_LiNk_x
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
No, unless it is documented within your reference.
DMed
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Nope they won't find out. However, you would have to consider if you have poor attendence (other than for valid reasons) do you really have the work ethic to go to Uni (not been nasty here), as you may be better going out to work for a bit and find out what you really want to do.

At Uni, you can miss the odd lecture (for whatever reason), but after that you fall behind and will struggle when it comes to the exams.
HumanNature1992
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I hope not :teehee:
kevin_123
Report 11 years ago
Lool dunno.. hopefully straight A's.. I take Business Studies, Economics,Government and Politics and History
wHat about you
I'm in year 11, I think I'm going to choose: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics and English Literature...

Not sure though..
yoyo6432
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
oh **** 5 subjects, idec about the fact that this was posted 10 years ago
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.2%
October 2021 (223)
44.6%
November 2021 (59)
11.8%
December 2021 (64)
12.8%
January 2021 (60)
12%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.6%