Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at the websites of different medical schools and was surprised to note changes in their A-level entrance requirements. For the convenience of people applying in 2011, I thought I'd create a thread on this. Here are the changes I've found so far:

Nottingham Medical School (A100):

For school leavers: AAA (from AAB for 2010 entry)

Graduates: "You must have achieved a 2:1 degree in a science based subject and achieved AAA at A-level with the two A grade passes in Biology and Chemistry. If you are studying a degree at time of application, you must be in your FINAL year and have completed the degree before the start of the medical course."

Bute Medical School:

"For 2011 entry the requirements will be AAA (Advanced levels) including Chemistry (A grade) and one other of Biology, Mathematics or Physics"

Brighton and Sussex medical school:

360 points from 3 A-levels either AAA or A*AB.

"Biology and Chemistry are the most important subjects for students who wish to study medicine. All prospective BSMS students will have studied both Biology and Chemistry at A level and gain an A grade."

Hull-York Medical School:

-GCSE English Language at grade A.
    If you are a school-leaver and have grade B, you may contact us to provide evidence that you have subsequently used English language skills in subjects at AS, A level, or a higher qualification.

-GCSE Maths at grade A.
    If you are a school-leaver and have grade B, you may contact us to provide evidence that you have subsequently used maths skills in subjects at AS, A level, or a higher qualification.
    Six other GCSEs at grades A-C.

-A-levels: Our typical offer is AAA, including Biology, Chemistry and a third subject at A2 level.

-Graduates also need Maths and English Language at GCSE grade A

Southampton Medical School:

"AAA (from 2011), including chemistry at A level or bb in chemistry and biology/human biology at AS level."

Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry

"The typical offer is three A grades at GCE A Level which must include two science subjects from Biology, Chemistry or Physics."

Manchester Medical school

AAA and major changes to course.

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergra...se/?code=01428

I'll add any other changes I find to this list.

ReputationRep:
    Bugger. I really don't want to have to reapply. It's going to get harder every year.

ReputationRep:
    Southampton are definitely going up to AAA. This was said at their open day by the head of medical admissions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydromancer)
    I was looking at the websites of different medical schools and was surprised to note changes in their A-level entrance requirements. For the convenience of people applying in 2011, I thought I'd create a thread on this. Here are the changes I've found so far:

Graduates: "You must have achieved a 2:1 degree in a science based subject and achieved AAA at A-level with the two A grade passes in Biology and Chemistry. If you are studying a degree at time of application, you must be in your FINAL year and have completed the degree before the start of the medical course."

Bute Medical School:

"For 2011 entry the requirements will be AAA (Advanced levels) including Chemistry (A grade) and one other of Biology, Mathematics or Physics"

"Biology and Chemistry are the most important subjects for students who wish to study medicine. All prospective BSMS students will have studied both Biology and Chemistry at A level and gain an A grade."

If you are a school-leaver and have grade B, you may contact us to provide evidence that you have subsequently used English language skills in subjects at AS, A level, or a higher qualification.

-GCSE Maths at grade A.
    If you are a school-leaver and have grade B, you may contact us to provide evidence that you have subsequently used maths skills in subjects at AS, A level, or a higher qualification.

-A-levels: Our typical offer is AAA, including Biology, Chemistry and a third subject at A2 level.

Manchester will also be AAA
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by lekky)
    Bugger. I really don't want to have to reapply. It's going to get harder every year.
    I second that. Also,I don't want to have to retake my english GCSE just to stand a chance. I hope I get in this year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukmd)
    Manchester will also be AAA
    Isn't it already?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Peninsula are also going up to AAA

ReputationRep:

Bute Medical School:

-GCSE Maths at grade A.

Although it is getting harder, it shouldn't come as that much of a surprise. It won't be long until all places are asking for straight A* at A-level or 5A's at higher.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Southampton are going up to AAA for BM5 and BCC for BM6, according to their website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Peninsula are also going up to AAA
    This must now include two sciences (rather than one) as well.

Link: http://www.pcmd.ac.uk/admissions_bmbs.php

ReputationRep:
    ahh bugger.

What about the insurance choice if they are all mainly AAA??!!

Or are you expected to firm an A*AA and insurance AAA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ECHF)
    ahh bugger.

What about the insurance choice if they are all mainly AAA??!!

Or are you expected to firm an A*AA and insurance AAA?
    Individual Universities don't really care whether they're going to be able to provide you with an insurance or not. Considering 60% of all applicants receive four rejections, I wouldn't start worrying about getting an insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Southampton, Manchester and Peninsular added to the list

ReputationRep:
    It is highly likely that Manchester and Peninsular will also want AAA for entry in 2011
    Peninsula is definite. Link here:
    http://www.pcmd.ac.uk/admissions_bmbs.php

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vertigo.0012)
    Peninsula is definite. Link here:
    http://www.pcmd.ac.uk/admissions_bmbs.php
    thanks amended in the first post

ReputationRep:
    A*s will be so hard to get. I basically have no hope now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma2010)
    A*s will be so hard to get. I basically have no hope now.
    don't worry! The majority of med schools want AAA. I think only Cambridge insist on A*AA.

I thought I had no chance of getting with AABB but hey I got four interviews and an offer at the end of it. Just keep working at it and never lose hope!

ReputationRep:
    don't worry! The majority of med schools want AAA. I think only Cambridge insist on A*AA.

I thought I had no chance of getting with AABB but hey I got four interviews and an offer at the end of it. Just keep working at it and never lose hope!
    Thanks I was hoping for some making AAB offers, but I'm taking 4 A levels, so maybe some hope of 3 As... Your grades sound great to me! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    UCL's offers, from 2011 entry, are going to be AAA. Also they now need both Chemistry and Biology taken up to A2.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/m...quirements.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    UCL's offers, from 2011 entry, are going to be AAA. Also they now need both Chemistry and Biology taken up to A2.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/m...quirements.pdf
    entry for 2011 seems harder than before!!:eek3:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.