Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Holy cow at nottingham if that goes ahead im screwed...(I have a 2.2) so only 3 uni's i could apply at.

That is a rediculous jump for graduate entry. Currently they are sat at 2.2 with GAMSAT and don't care about A level grades.

If i don't manage to get enough work exp this year and apply, I think i'd seriously need to reconsider even trying in 2011

Is that definitely gonna happen to grad entry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captshiznit)
    Holy cow at nottingham if that goes ahead im screwed...(I have a 2.2) so only 3 uni's i could apply at.

That is a rediculous jump for graduate entry. Currently they are sat at 2.2 with GAMSAT and don't care about A level grades.

If i don't manage to get enough work exp this year and apply, I think i'd seriously need to reconsider even trying in 2011

Is that definitely gonna happen to grad entry?
    I can't find any reference to it on any site other than this one, so I wouldn't worry at this stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cd.thomson)
    I can't find any reference to it on any site other than this one, so I wouldn't worry at this stage.
    Yeah hopefully mate, cause i reckon i'm going to try this year if i fail least i still have GAMSAT for next year and ill just get more work exp with the time. I may only have 7 months to try get work exp portfolio but damnnit im going to try.

Edit:

Ahhhh the changes are only occuring to the undergraduate entry medicine not graduate entry it will still remain the same. "A101 graduate medical course. Graduates can apply for this course if they have achieved a 2:2 degree in any discipline. The GAMSAT examination must be taken for this course."

Well I guess cause notts are going to start accepting grads on their undergrad course whereas before they wouldn't

ReputationRep:
    Wow, didn't expect so many to jump to AAA so suddenly...

ReputationRep:
    FML....how the **** am I gonna get in now....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Black Knight)
    entry for 2011 seems harder than before!!:eek3:
    Obviously, it's not supposed to get easier especially when you look at the competition for medical places each year.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently it's due to grade inflation

ReputationRep:
    How can nottingham have 3A grades at A level for Grad entry (and any other medical schools like that)?! Surely the main reason people do a degree before applying to grad entry is that they didn't make the grades in the first place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydromancer)
    Apparently it's due to grade inflation
    Well grade inflation is one of the reasons why medical schools have become more competitive. Overall, the grades are being increased due to how competitive medicine is, and there are numerous factors as to why it is as competitive as it is. Asking for AAA is probably going to be the standard for all medical schools for 2011 entry, I'll be surprised if any are going to remain at AAB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scherzando225)
    How can nottingham have 3A grades at A level for Grad entry (and any other medical schools like that)?! Surely the main reason people do a degree before applying to grad entry is that they didn't make the grades in the first place!
    Considering how competitive graduate entry medicine is, it's more competitive than undergraduate medicine, it isn't surprising that they've been forced to put the A-Level requirement to AAA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Considering how competitive graduate entry medicine is, it's more competitive than undergraduate medicine, it isn't surprising that they've been forced to put the A-Level requirement to AAA.
    just passing through and thought I'd point out that the above graduate a-level requirement is for those applying for the A100 course not the A101 4-year course based at derby.

I keep hearing that A101 is more competitive, does anyone have the numbers?

Some stats I know: 1100 applicants for St Georges MBBS4 sat GAMSAT. 360 passed the exam and 110 people got offers after interview. So 1/3 get places at interview level which doesnt seem massively competitive to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cd.thomson)
    just passing through and thought I'd point out that the above graduate a-level requirement is for those applying for the A100 course not the A101 4-year course based at derby.

I keep hearing that A101 is more competitive, does anyone have the numbers?

Some stats I know: 1100 applicants for St Georges MBBS4 sat GAMSAT. 360 passed the exam and 110 people got offers after interview. So 1/3 get places at interview level which doesnt seem massively competitive to me.
    Well if that's the A-Level requirement for graduates who are applying for A100 then of course they're going to need AAA. Why are you talking about how many people get to interview? Cambridge interview 90% of applicants, would you now say that it isn't competitive to get into medicine there? It doesn't matter how many people make it to interview, it's the number of potential offers alongside the number of applicants that determines how competitive a course is.

For graduate entry the average number of applicants per place is ~10.

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff may change to AAA although nothing confirmed yet.

ReputationRep:
    Well if that's the A-Level requirement for graduates who are applying for A100 then of course they're going to need AAA. Why are you talking about how many people get to interview? Cambridge interview 90% of applicants, would you now say that it isn't competitive to get into medicine there? It doesn't matter how many people make it to interview, it's the number of potential offers alongside the number of applicants that determines how competitive a course is.

For graduate entry the average number of applicants per place is ~10.
    grumpy much?

Nottingham have not previously let graduates onto A100, they are next year but have obviously had to announce "new" entry requirements. I'm passing this information on so prospective GEM students don't have a dickyfit.

You seem to have got the wrong end of the stick with my other point too unfortunately. I was just after numbers for A100 and A101 applications to compare competitiveness. How many applicants are offered places on the 5 year courses?

I passed one exam then had a 1 in 3 chance for a place after interview.

School leavers have to be predicted to perform extremely well in 3+ exams and then get interviewed alongside 90% of their peers (quoting your example) which seems significantly more competitive to me, no?

ReputationRep:
    True, but that's not the point...it just means that if you get ABB at A level or something in the future, you can kiss medicine goodbye in the uk!

ReputationRep:
    facepalm.jpg

no it doesnt. You can still apply to the GEM (A101) course at nottingham next year with 3 Ds at A-Level as long as you have a degree.

ReputationRep:
    This may be a stupid question but I'm really confused about the new UCL requirements.

"grades AAA at A-level plus a pass grade in an additional AS-level.The reference on the UCAS application must list both the A-level and the additional AS-level grade predictions"

Those are the new requirements, I'm just confused about the additional AS. Does this mean I'm gonna have to pick up a new AS subject next year? Or am I just completely misunderstanding?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skinnyskies)
    This may be a stupid question but I'm really confused about the new UCL requirements.

"grades AAA at A-level plus a pass grade in an additional AS-level.The reference on the UCAS application must list both the A-level and the additional AS-level grade predictions"

Those are the new requirements, I'm just confused about the additional AS. Does this mean I'm gonna have to pick up a new AS subject next year? Or am I just completely misunderstanding?
    Think it means you must have a D or above in an extra AS level or be predicted it. I know some schools do not bank AS levels until the end of year thirteen...

seems pretty standard, just means you have to do four subjects in AS, I know some 'special' students at my school were unable to fulfil that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Single Malt)
    Think it means you must have a D or above in an extra AS level or be predicted it. I know some schools do not bank AS levels until the end of year thirteen...

seems pretty standard, just means you have to do four subjects in AS, I know some 'special' students at my school were unable to fulfil that.
    :ahee:

Hardly relevant, though :o:

(Original post by skinnyskies)

You'll need an MFL at GCSE as well. Not sure of the greade required ...

ReputationRep:
    Well if that's the A-Level requirement for graduates who are applying for A100 then of course they're going to need AAA.
    I don't think so...

Why are you talking about how many people get to interview? Cambridge interview 90% of applicants, would you now say that it isn't competitive to get into medicine there? It doesn't matter how many people make it to interview, it's the number of potential offers alongside the number of applicants that determines how competitive a course is.
    You're also forgetting the rather crucial point of how well your application fits what they're after and, as a consequence of that, quality of competition.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.