Turn on thread page Beta

Changes to A-level requirements for 2011 entry watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    I don't think so...

You're also forgetting the rather crucial point of how well your application fits what they're after and, as a consequence of that, quality of competition.
    I thought if graduates were to apply to the A100 courses, as opposed to the A101 courses, the A-Level entry requirement is the same for them as it is undergraduates applying for A100?

Yeah, I was merely talking quantitatively in regards to competition. While those points are obviously going to affect your chances, it's almost impossible to work out how they'd affect the probability of getting in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    I thought if graduates were to apply to the A100 courses, as opposed to the A101 courses, the A-Level entry requirement is the same for them as it is undergraduates applying for A100?
    Not usually. Perhaps at a select few, but on the whole, the A-levels become obsolete.

Yeah, I was merely talking quantitatively in regards to competition. While those points are obviously going to affect your chances, it's almost impossible to work out how they'd affect the probability of getting in.
    Exactly. Mathematically calculating your chances of getting into each medical school isn't possible without making some massive assumptions. There isn't a figure you can really put on it.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is now AAA as well!

ReputationRep:
    anymore changes for the 2011 entry?

ReputationRep:
    oh god this scares me :eek3:
    the way it's going it seems that by the time i'm applying they'll have a new A** grade that they'll want to use :p:

ReputationRep:
    So which universities still ask for AAB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdulla)
    So which universities still ask for AAB?
    Aberdeen is still AAB

Bristol is still AAB

Cardiff is still AAB

UEA is still AAB

Glasgow is still AAB

Keele is still AAB

Leeds is still AAB

Leicester is still AAB

Liverpool is still AAB

Sheffield is still AAB

Bear in mind that some of these universities are yet to release their 2011 entry requirements; also, just because a university has released 2011 data, doesn't mean it's going to stay like that. A few years ago, a medical schools increased the entry requirements for medicine weeks before the deadline, if I recall correctly.

ReputationRep:
    peninsula has changed quite a bit, i can remember when it was ABB!

ReputationRep:
    Aberdeen is still AAB

Bristol is still AAB

Cardiff is still AAB

UEA is still AAB

Glasgow is still AAB

Keele is still AAB

Leeds is still AAB

Leicester is still AAB

Liverpool is still AAB

Sheffield is still AAB

Bear in mind that some of these universities are yet to release their 2011 entry requirements; also, just because a university has released 2011 data, doesn't mean it's going to stay like that. A few years ago, a medical schools increased the entry requirements for medicine weeks before the deadline, if I recall correctly.
    Exactly, this is true. This year, leeds offers are AAB with an A in chem, but they said at the open day the offer would be AAB and you didn't need an A in chemistry! Quite annoying really, but tough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 916-CALL-TURK)
    :ahee:

You'll need an MFL at GCSE as well. Not sure of the greade required ...
    I thought that was for 2012 applicants :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XYZ ZYX)
    I thought that was for 2012 applicants :eek3:
    Yeah, sorry. I always meant to change that post. Never got down to it, though :o:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Scherzando225)
    Exactly, this is true. This year, leeds offers are AAB with an A in chem, but they said at the open day the offer would be AAB and you didn't need an A in chemistry! Quite annoying really, but tough.
    Makes me realise how lucky I am to have an AAB offer with a minimum of B in chem :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manic_fuzz)
    oh god this scares me :eek3:
    the way it's going it seems that by the time i'm applying they'll have a new A** grade that they'll want to use :p:

One of the tory education guys suggested the use of an A** grade actually, he was appropriately laughed at.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh Btw, i spoke to the Sheffield Admissions team at a UCAS Convention and they said that although they published AAB, no one without AAA will actually get interviewed!!!
    They agreed that it was so unfair, they will update their website but obv the prospectuses have already been printed.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh Btw, i spoke to the Sheffield Admissions team at a UCAS Convention and they said that although they published AAB, no one without AAA will actually get interviewed!!!
    They agreed that it was so unfair, they will update their website but obv the prospectuses have already been printed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainorshine)
    Well there are some med schools that say AAB but it is highly unlikely that someone with AAB would be interviewed. For example, for 2010 entry Peninsular and St. Andrews were AAB but you would usually only get an interview with a predicted AAA or achieved AAB.

Leicester also springs to mind. They score your application out of 20, with 16/20 required for an interview (I think). Academics, reference, personal statement and UKCAT are each scored out of 5. With an AAB predicted or achieved with an A in chemistry, the maximum score you can get in academics is 3/5. This means your other sections have to have scores of 4,4,5 (in any order) to secure an interview which means you're not very likely to be interviewed. I am inclined to believe that Leeds follows a somewhat similar policy which gives some preference to AAA candidates over AAB ones.

Edit: as neomaster121 has pointed out, you needed a score of 17/20 for an interview in this cycle...this makes getting an interview with AAB extremely unlikely as you'll have to get 5,5,4 (in any order) for your personal statement, reference and UKCAT. To get a 5 in UKCAT, you need each section's score above 700...not easy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydromancer)
    Well there are some med schools that say AAB but it is highly unlikely that someone with AAB would be interviewed. For example, for 2010 entry Peninsular and St. Andrews were AAB but you would usually only get an interview with a predicted AAA or achieved AAB.

Leicester also springs to mind. They score your application out of 20, with 16/20 required for an interview (I think). Academics, reference, personal statement and UKCAT are each scored out of 5. With an AAB predicted or achieved with an A in chemistry, the maximum score you can get in academics is 3/5. This means you're other sections have to have scores of 4,4,5 (in any order) to secure an interview which means you're not very likely to be interviewed. I am inclined to believe that Leeds follows a somewhat similar policy which gives some preference to AAA candidates over AAB ones.
    this year it was 17 out of 20

ReputationRep:
    i take it imperial is A*AA???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazu121)
    i take it imperial is A*AA???
    Why do you "take" Imperial is A*AA?

ReputationRep:
    Well hopefully the AAA rquirement for So'ton will make it slightly less competitive. It also means Bristol is probably going to be even more oversubscribed. I actually quite like Bristol too...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.