Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Failed three of my modules in the first semester- ****! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ****. I am now really, really worried. I don’t know what the hell has happened but three of the module scores have been released and I have failed them all. One is still to be released and my hopes for a good outcome are not high.

I just don’t know what’s happened. It’s not like I can hope for a change in score, as the marks are so low, any increase would mean nothing.

This has now halted all of my confidence. I just feel like ****.
    One of the modules, which I failed badly on, I have to do the follow up module this semester and I’m already struggling. I just don’t understand any of it- I ask my tutor for some help and it’s not existent.

I understand that I could just blame the University and the staff for not supporting me enough. But, I understand that I ****** up and I need to change it. But then, it’s just too hard, and too difficult. I have lost all... motivation... inspiration with this place.

I want to rekindle some sort of hope in this place... but ****.

Meh...

ReputationRep:
    Work harder. Find other people to work with. Take charge. Do it now.

ReputationRep:
    Are you an intelligent person?

I suggest you take this as a lesson so now you know what it's like you should retake them later and from now on make sure you put in 6 hours per day of extra self-study and go over your lectures for each week and all the previous weeks.

Don't get disheartened by one set of exams. It was a new experience that you were not familiar with.

:top:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say I was an intelligent person. I've always been average- it's the way it is and, I go to an average university- by most standards.

But, it feels like I have such a mountain to climb- is it really worth it?, all that work, all that time- just to face **** marks once again? No?

But then, I have always wanted a University degree, always. But... what you want is not always what you need.

Argh!?!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    Like someone else said, it's important that you do not become disheartened.

Just try to treat this as an experience and move on forward with your studies.

All the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who....?)
    ****. I am now really, really worried. I don’t know what the hell has happened but three of the module scores have been released and I have failed them all. One is still to be released and my hopes for a good outcome are not high.

I just don’t know what’s happened. It’s not like I can hope for a change in score, as the marks are so low, any increase would mean nothing.

This has now halted all of my confidence. I just feel like ****.
    One of the modules, which I failed badly on, I have to do the follow up module this semester and I’m already struggling. I just don’t understand any of it- I ask my tutor for some help and it’s not existent.

I understand that I could just blame the University and the staff for not supporting me enough. But, I understand that I ****** up and I need to change it. But then, it’s just too hard, and too difficult. I have lost all... motivation... inspiration with this place.

I want to rekindle some sort of hope in this place... but ****.

Meh...
    Did you do much work for them? I dont just mean a bit of revision near the exams but steadily studying the material throughout the term.

i started doing that this term and can see the results already.

ReputationRep:
    I worked- no doubt.

But, I think that if I had worked over lecture notes etc more, then this would have had a beneficial effect.

But now, feeling so low about my academic work and my (lack of) progress since I have been at University, I just can't help but feel... what the **** is the point?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of first years do worse than expected - heck, half my course mates failed their assignments and it wasn't through lack of effort (well, for the most part).

I know it's easier said than done, but try to turn this into something positive - something you can learn from and try not to let it get you down so much.

Think about what you can do to improve. Do you go out too much? If so, cut it down - say, only at weekends. Do you attend every lecture? Do you contribute towards discussions? Do you do any further reading? You may have to cut down on your social life a little bit but if you really want your degree, it's just sonething you'll have to do.

Just work extra hard and prove to your tutors (and more importantly, yourself) that you can get good marks and you can pass the modules.

May I ask what course are you studying?

Best of luck with everything and I hope everything works out for you in the end

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps try to re-sit the year. The gap between A-Levels and Undergraduate leve can prove too daunting for some. You'll know what is expected second time round. Speak to the head of you department or any personal tutors that you may have. They'll tell you what you need to do.

I wouldn't say I was an intelligent person. I've always been average- it's the way it is and, I go to an average university- by most standards.

But, it feels like I have such a mountain to climb- is it really worth it?, all that work, all that time- just to face **** marks once again? No?

But then, I have always wanted a University degree, always. But... what you want is not always what you need.

Argh!?!?!?!
    Wow, I guess you're not an optimist then :p:

You want to know whether it's worth it. Well, it depends whether you want to have a degree in 3 years time

I worked- no doubt.

But, I think that if I had worked over lecture notes etc more, then this would have had a beneficial effect.

But now, feeling so low about my academic work and my (lack of) progress since I have been at University, I just can't help but feel... what the **** is the point?
    so basically you didn't give 100%. Next time when you revise for your exams, give everything you've got, no ifs or buts.

Now you know that your course is bit harder you've expected, put in more effort, get extra help from somewhere else. Do research on the net and talk to your lecturer, tutor, a friend... do anything to gain those marks you need.

Good luck :top:

ReputationRep:
    Dont be disheartened go over every lecture note and add notes if you have written exams and include extras.

If you have computer exam - go over everything.

Dont panic about it, theres re sists and essays/reports. Revise and revise and revise.

Do you have any sort of learning difficulty if so get a educational psychologist to assess you and if you do apply for extra time in exams.

Now you know what to expect you can get good grades on resists.

ReputationRep:
    First of all don’t panic.

See your personal tutor and any sympathetic staff you know and discuss what’s gone wrong. Get advice from your seminar leaders/markers about where you went wrong, and from that you can start to work out how you can deal with the situation. Take it steadily. Discuss your options with the department in a reasonable and honest way. There are options available here, you need to explore them, don’t just hope it will go away.

And good luck.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.