Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Anyone got any reasons to go to Kings to do the EMDP 6 Year Programme over the 5 Year at PMS?

Here are my Pros and Cons

Kings

Pros
    1) Anatomy Teaching (Dissection and Prossection)
    2) Systems based
    3) Location (London)
    4) Less SDL

Cons
    1) More competative
    2) Larger year group
    3) Lectures

Peninsula

Pros
    1) 5 Years
    2) More Competitive (Larger Group Size)
    3) Structured Small group teaching (PBL)
    4) Newer clinical skills and life science resources

Cons
    1) No dissection
    2) If I end up at Exeter for Years 1 and 2, less sociable with the People on other courses (As the medical campus is on the opposite side of Exeter to the main campus)
    3) More self-directed learning

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't you find it frustrating at times to be learning at a 'slower pace', when your probably more than capable at learning at the same pace as the 5 year medics? If they thought you were very good and done very well in assessments, is there any sort of opportunity to join the 5 year course?

ReputationRep:
    Why is smaller group size a con - I would have thought it a pro?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panorama)
    Why is smaller group size a con - I would have thought it a pro?
    Agreed...to a certain extent (being an economist you have to say that lol)

ReputationRep:
    Small group sizes are good! You can get more attention from the lecturer. Anyways I pick Kings, yay for hometown london!

ReputationRep:
    kings is better, you end up with a kings degree whilst a peninsula degree isnt as respected..

this leads to less oportunities to apply for posts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    Anyone got any reasons to go to Kings to do the EMDP 6 Year Programme over the 5 Year at PMS?

Here are my Pros and Cons

Kings

Pros
    1) In London
    2) Dissection
    3) Systems Based (Integrated)
    4) Slower Pace (Years 1 and 2 Done over 3 years)

Cons
    1) 6 Years
    2) Smaller Group Size
    3) Partially Isolated from the 5 Year Medics

PMS

Pros
    1) 5 Years
    2) Larger Group Size
    3) Is the Standard Course

Cons
    1) No dissection
    2) If I end up at Exeter for Years 1 and 2, less sociable with the People on other courses (As the medical campus is on the opposite side of Exeter to the main campus)
    3) Not In London
    Don't you have to get the 70% to go to 2nd year at kings...? And your only isolated for 1 year after that you are taught along side the 5 year medics.

ReputationRep:
    being looked down on by some 5 years as told by a friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by najeezy)
    kings is better, you end up with a kings degree whilst a peninsula degree isnt as respected..

Not really. It doesn't really matter where you get your medical degree from. What matters is what you do while you're at medical school.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by petzneo)
    Don't you have to get the 70% to go to 2nd year at kings...? And your only isolated for 1 year after that you are taught along side the 5 year medics.

no you're partially isolated for years 1-3.

(Original post by King's College London - Extended Medical Degree Programme Prospectus)
    MBBS (A100) vs EMDP (A101)
    These are not (technically) two different degree programmes. By the end of the six years of the EMDP, students will have an MBBS from King's. They will have covered exactly the same topics, at the same level of detail, as the conventional medical students on the standard five-year MBBS programme. They will also have sat the same examinations and been required to achieve the same pass mark.

The difference lies in the pace at which the EMDP covers the subjects (and examinations) in the first three years.

1st year (1A):
    Students cover about 55 per cent of the conventional first year course
    2nd year (1B):
    Students cover the remaining 45 per cent of the first year and about 20 per cent of the conventional second year course.
    3rd year (2):
    Students cover the remaining 80 per cent of the conventional second year course

The extra space this creates on the timetable during the first three years enables our students to have additional time to study part of this is self-directed and part is timetabled. The timetabled tutorials cover medically related aspects of chemistry, numeracy and writing skills, together with the more difficult concepts in the medical course itself.

In their final three years, EMDP students experience the clinical parts of the course at exactly the same pace as the conventional students and will be indistinguishable from them. There will be no extra white space� on the timetable and no extra academic support during this period. The medical qualification obtained by EMDP students at the end of their course will be identical to that obtained by students on the five-year course.

ReputationRep:

Not quite. When you apply for posts, the hospital has no knowledge of what med school you went to.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

What Andrew Said.

The Foundation Trusts do not see where you graduated when deciding who to invite for interview.

As this information is omitted from the application they see.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think small group size will be a problem, as I certainly don't know a vast quantity of my year group from the standard King's course. That being said I don't know any EMDP students, they seem to do their own thing - but that isn't necessarily bad.

You just have to ask yourself if you'll be frustrated going at a slower pace, and spending 3 years of study doing pre-clinicals. I find the pace of the standard course perfectly manageable. Also, how much do you want to be in London?

And so you know, at the Christmas show here, the EMDP programme and PMS got an equal amount of stick :p:

ReputationRep:
    What Andrew Said.

The Foundation Trusts do not see where you graduated when deciding who to invite for interview.

As this information is omitted from the application they see.
    Forgot to say, congrats on the offer vas! :woo:

You thoroughly deserve it :yep:. How many more marks do you need to get to AA?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by T kay)
    Forgot to say, congrats on the offer vas! :woo:

You thoroughly deserve it :yep:. How many more marks do you need to get to AA?
    3 in Chem, 7 in bio.

ReputationRep:
    3 in Chem, 7 in bio.
    Ah, I think it's safe to say that you will be at medical school in September

Congrats man, you deserve it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T kay)
    Ah, I think it's safe to say that you will be at medical school in September

Congrats man, you deserve it.

Hey T kay, how was your Leicester interview (assuming you've had it)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Andrew_)
    Hey T kay, how was your Leicester interview (assuming you've had it)?
    It's next Thursday! And I have SGUL on Monday! :eek:

I haven't done as much prep as I would like. I need to go over some ethics, my personal statement and a few articles. I have a mock tomorrow and I'm trying to get one for Saturday. I'm more nervous now than I was for Liverpool in November...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T kay)
    It's next Thursday! And I have SGUL on Monday! :eek:

I haven't done as much prep as I would like. I need to go over some ethics, my personal statement and a few articles. I have a mock tomorrow and I'm trying to get one for Saturday. I'm more nervous now than I was for Liverpool in November...

Ohh good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine:yes:

ReputationRep:
    I read it somewhere that the EMDP students wear a special badge when doing clinicals in years 5 and 6 even though they are mixed with the other students.

Here the link http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...or-300000.html

I would definately pick Kings. I don't like PBL courses. And I would love to stay in London. I didn't like Exeter very much. It was quiet

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.