Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You don't have an Kings offer yet (according to your sig) so I would think about it more if you get an offer.

However I would definitely pick PMS. What's the point wasting another year when you have the opportunity to do a standard 5 year course? You've already taken a gay year I assume so it would be a little pointless going at a slower pace when you are probably capable of doing it in 5 years.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Got the offer!
    Updated pros and cons.

any additional opinions?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by overclocked)
    You don't have an Kings offer yet (according to your sig) so I would think about it more if you get an offer.

However I would definitely pick PMS. What's the point wasting another year when you have the opportunity to do a standard 5 year course? You've already taken a gay year I assume so it would be a little pointless going at a slower pace when you are probably capable of doing it in 5 years.
    :toofunny: LOOOOOOOOL

I wouldnt say its been gay!:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    :toofunny: LOOOOOOOOL

I wouldnt say its been gay!:p:
    woops :p:

made any headway with your decision yet?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    woops :p:

made any headway with your decision yet?
    nope, its a tie on points right now, but im swinging towards pms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    nope, its a tie on points right now, but im swinging towards pms.
    cool!
    is there the slightest chance you may be able to move to kings 5 yr (if you start of really well in the first foundation year perhaps and show you're capable?)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    cool!
    is there the slightest chance you may be able to move to kings 5 yr (if you start of really well in the first foundation year perhaps and show you're capable?)
    Nope, its a completely different course. The pace is different.

and this is the main thing putting me off, that and the extra year.

ReputationRep:
    Hey (:
    Im in the completely same boat - Ive applied for deferred entry as I want to spend a year volunteering in Mauritius... and I have two offers for medicine... Kings EMDP and PMS and completely have no idea which one to pick.

Which one did you end up picking in the end? And how are you finding it?
    [this thread was posted last year... I pressume you are at either Kings or PMS at the moment?]

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely pick Peninsula. Although I adore London, I've heard many stories regarding how the EMDP students are treated (by fellow medics). In regards to 'respect' or 'prestige,' I think that Peninsula Medical School wins hands down. However, I guess other factors (e.g. course structure or location) could affect your decision.

How is the success rate on the EMDP?

EDIT: Old thread :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notepad)
    I would definitely pick Peninsula. Although I adore London, I've heard many stories regarding how the EMDP students are treated (by fellow medics). In regards to 'respect' or 'prestige,' I think that Peninsula Medical School wins hands down. However, I guess other factors (e.g. course structure or location) could affect your decision.

How is the success rate on the EMDP?

EDIT: Old thread :/
    Would appreciate if you could tell me more about this - for various personal reasons I might end up picking Kings EMDP over Durham 5yr!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RectalExamination)
    Would appreciate if you could tell me more about this - for various personal reasons I might end up picking Kings EMDP over Durham 5yr!
    I've heard (I think there was a thread on TSR) that the EMDP kids are taunted by the King's medics, as they're deemed inferior. Terrible, if you ask me, but the story seems viable.

Couldn't you just defer your Durham offer?

Also, there was a case where one of the EMDP students filed a racism case against KCL, but I'm not going to go on about this. However, on the same video (on youtube), the author highlighted the EMDP students' poor graduation rate? So ... I guess it'd be sensible to double-check on this.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard (I think there was a thread on TSR) that the EMDP kids are taunted by the King's medics, as they're deemed inferior. Terrible, if you ask me, but the story seems viable.

Couldn't you just defer your Durham offer?

Also, there was a case where one of the EMDP students filed a racism case against KCL, but I'm not going to go on about this. However, on the same video (on youtube), the author highlighted the EMDP students' poor graduation rate? So ... I guess it'd be sensible to double-check on this.
    Well Im on a gap year now - the only reason Id pick Kings is because it is in london and that Id rather stay at home as I can support my mother, although that can be dealt with otherwise. I dont mind going away or anything, as expensive as it is, its only that factor really. Im definitely going to open days to check this whole thing out.

ReputationRep:
    Well Im on a gap year now - the only reason Id pick Kings is because it is in london and that Id rather stay at home as I can support my mother, although that can be dealt with otherwise. I dont mind going away or anything, as expensive as it is, its only that factor really. Im definitely going to open days to check this whole thing out.
    I'd suggest you do. If I were in your position (with the information you've provided me with), I'd probably pick King's EMDP, to be quite honest.

Just wanted to warn you guys. It's better for me to warn you and then be proved wrong, then for you to start in October and regret it.

I wish you all the best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest you do. If I were in your position (with the information you've provided me with), I'd probably pick King's EMDP, to be quite honest.

Just wanted to warn you guys. It's better for me to warn you and then be proved wrong, then for you to start in October and regret it.

I wish you all the best of luck!
    Thanks, I appreciate your input. Im leaning towards Kings, Ill just go to Durham to see if they could convince me id be a complete **** going Kings and go to Kings so that they can prove that the we wont be ostracised, babied or be studying alongside people not cut out for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I appreciate your input. Im leaning towards Kings, Ill just go to Durham to see if they could convince me id be a complete **** going Kings and go to Kings so that they can prove that the we wont be ostracised, babied or be studying alongside people not cut out for medicine.
    Dude I'm having exactly the same problem..
    I plan on going to both open days to check it out... leaning towards kings because its in London but at the same time a little bit apprehensive about the nature of the six year course and the horrible social stigma that seems to surround it.

See you next wednesday I guess!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flooffi)
    Dude I'm having exactly the same problem..
    I plan on going to both open days to check it out... leaning towards kings because its in London but at the same time a little bit apprehensive about the nature of the six year course and the horrible social stigma that seems to surround it.

See you next wednesday I guess!
    Yeah im definitely worried about the social stigma, generally id find it very demoralising if I was babied through the course, ostracised or was surrounded by people not of the right calibre to study medicine, especially since I worked so hard to get a very good offer at Durham. Im sure there are very good applicants like yourself who are on the course, thats why im asking to see what people have got.

Anyways Ill see you there one way or another Its going to be a very hard decision so im taking my time. Where'd you get your A100? Ive got mine at Durham / Newcastle.

Again congratulations, either way we will be studying medicine next year! Good luck with deciding.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah im definitely worried about the social stigma, generally id find it very demoralising if I was babied through the course, ostracised or was surrounded by people not of the right calibre to study medicine, especially since I worked so hard to get a very good offer at Durham. Im sure there are very good applicants like yourself who are on the course, thats why im asking to see what people have got.

Anyways Ill see you there one way or another Its going to be a very hard decision so im taking my time. Where'd you get your A100? Ive got mine at Durham / Newcastle.

Again congratulations, either way we will be studying medicine next year! Good luck with deciding.
    Those are my thoughts exactly - I don't want to turn down an A100 offer only to regret it later because of the treatment we receive doing an access course.

Durham is an amazing university congrats (: We certainly have some difficult decisions ahead...
    My A100 course is from Peninsula, so Exeter/Plymouth.... The people there were really friendly and as I like to surf it would be nice to be close to the water but...
    London is home. And its kings....

But you're right - either way we're going to come out as doctors at the end of it! So although the decisions may be difficult many people would love to be in our position and we should be happy that we actually have the choice!

ReputationRep:
    Those are my thoughts exactly - I don't want to turn down an A100 offer only to regret it later because of the treatment we receive doing an access course.

Durham is an amazing university congrats (: We certainly have some difficult decisions ahead...
    My A100 course is from Peninsula, so Exeter/Plymouth.... The people there were really friendly and as I like to surf it would be nice to be close to the water but...
    London is home. And its kings....

But you're right - either way we're going to come out as doctors at the end of it! So although the decisions may be difficult many people would love to be in our position and we should be happy that we actually have the choice!
    Yeah, maybe be keep me posted on what you find of Kings, that would be helpful, ill keep you posted as well.

Btw was your interview on the 9th at 10:40? I remember meeting another british male applicant who had a PMS offer, interested in cricket - that you?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, maybe be keep me posted on what you find of Kings, that would be helpful, ill keep you posted as well.

Btw was your interview on the 9th at 10:40? I remember meeting another british male applicant who had a PMS offer, interested in cricket - that you?
    yeah definitely will do - I think the more information we can find out the better (: And with our collective knowledge we'll be able to make better informed decisions...

and nope my interview was 40 mins before that, and I'm a girl, so probably wasn't me
    I do, however, have a new found interest in cricket (my friends got me hooked during the world cup...)

ReputationRep:
    yeah definitely will do - I think the more information we can find out the better (: And with our collective knowledge we'll be able to make better informed decisions...

and nope my interview was 40 mins before that, and I'm a girl, so probably wasn't me
    I do, however, have a new found interest in cricket (my friends got me hooked during the world cup...)
    Lol by your username I somehow didn't think you were him lol but there you are. Cricket is alright, haven't played much of it but Id be willing to give it and football a go at uni. Will make sure to keep you posted.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.