Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I bet you dont spend as little as my friend?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    When I was in my first year at University I had a friend who used to do the cheapest of cheap weekly shops (usually less than £15) which consisted of a lot of basic range products and then hardly ever went out so on average spend about £25 a week. Obviously this figure excludes rent and tuition fees, but I used to call him stingy, but looking back spending that little is actually pretty impressive considering most people spend that on one night out.

So I thought it would be a great idea to find out everyone’s weekly spending amount, So on average how much do you spend each week, I bet no one spends less than my friend did? If you do I might just eat my hat ; )

ReputationRep:
    I would love to say I spend that little a week, sounds like your friend needs to give me some tips : (

On average I spend about £75, with £25 of that being food!

Judy

ReputationRep:
    So far this term - 70/wk though that includes payments for stuff bought last term, food is about 20 /wk ish

I know somone who spends 10/month on food no idea how

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    They're a squirrel.

ReputationRep:
    Urghh this depresses me... I spend at least £20 on lunchs and buses and that's before I reach university

ReputationRep:
    I would say judging on feedback in a recent poll we carried out, £60/£70 is about average.

I would love to know how someone spends £10, they can't go out or eat very much? But none the less its a great achievement!

ReputationRep:
    I generally spend about the same as your friend tbh =P I don't really buy much apart from food shooping at about £15-20 a week, the odd drink/ takeaway, the odd bus journey and if I'm feeling like going all out maybe a book or cheap game :p: Usually don't spend more than £30 a week

ReputationRep:
    9p noodles out of tesco =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    They're a squirrel.
    Part of it was funded earlier in the year by stealing peoples food we think

tbh normally I spend more than 70/wk just not been out much for a while, goes up to 140/wk sometimes

ReputationRep:
    In my final year I spent £15 on food for ~10days, but I didn't eat that much. It was mostly spent on rice/pasta, bunch of fruit, couple of vegetables, milk, bread and cheese. once in a while I'd splash out on a take-out.

My housemates used to completely drain their money on going to the pub 2/3 times a week. I joined them but only actually bought a pint maybe once a week.

I'm not cheap though, I'm smart

ReputationRep:
    I'd say £70-£100 weekly.

ReputationRep:
    Haha that sounds a good way to not spend much, steal others food ; )

Thats a good effort Jelephant and After you, it is all about being smart and buying 9p noodles is a great start! Even though going out and drinking is fun its such a drain on money, which can be the difference between spending the same as my friend and spending alot a week.

ReputationRep:
    IVe spent ten quid on many nights out, get all your friends to chip in a fiver for drinks, get smashed before you go there, then pay club entrance which is like 2-3 quid then you all chip in 2 quid each for taxi home. Bang ten quid and the dirt is gone

ReputationRep:
    I've spent a £5 a week before. But that was out of complete necessity. 14p spaghetti in tomato juice and 37p bread is the way forward.

ReputationRep:

An advantage of anorexia?

joke joke

ReputationRep:
    Oh and I've spent literally nothing on lots of nights out... free drinks, get drinks bought for me, on one memorable night out I bought a £9 pitcher, gave the girl £10 note and got £10 chance back winner. And then I have a bus pass so bus home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    An advantage of anorexia?

joke joke
    :rofl:

I will be paying £20 for club entry on Thursday

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

I will be paying £20 for club entry on Thursday
    :nothing: that better be one hell of a nice club!

ReputationRep:
    I have the problem that the location of my halls and my timetable means that I can't go home for lunch 4 days a week - I have to eat out, so I spend like £20-£25 a week on lunch and drinks whilst at uni (coke, oasis, etc).

First semester I started off spending about £120-£150 a week, got that down to about £90-£100 now but I spend about £9 a week on buses since I'm in a LDR and we go halves on transport.

It's far more than I expected

Problem is the only supermarkets that're convenient near me are iceland (ate nothing but iceland food for 3 weeks and ended up severely malnutritioned, will not do that again), and waitrose (costs a fortune). So with my weekly shop I'm forever toeing the line between bankruptcy and malnutrition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    :nothing: that better be one hell of a nice club!
    Friends birthday. Friend is a girl. Girls go free.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.