Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stella476)
    I spend about £7 a week, if I am lucky!
    Yes me too, but more like every 3 weeks. So maybe £2.50 a week then?

ReputationRep:
    In the first year I spent £80/w on average. This year it's been more like £70/w.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by radfordboy87)
    £10 a week is an extremely good achievement and it would be great if we could find out more specifically how? I think they need to share these tips with everyone,haha
    when we were doing it we didn't have a fridge or a freezer so we had to just buy what we thought we could use which resulted in very little wastage.
    we snacked on fruit which is cheap
    didn't buy much meat as it's expensive
    ate a lot of salads.
    ate a lot of potatoes - buying different herbs and spices helps with this.
    bought whatever was reduced that day.
    bought quite a lot of value products - the one thing I never compromised on was free range eggs and I usually got nice bread, but everything else tends to do the job.
    only drank water

if we had to we could go a week on a bag of spuds (usually around £1), a couple of bags of apples (£2), a loaf of bread (£1) and whatever jam/marmite we had.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to?! Get a job, do 10, 12 hours a week and you have £60 to play with. I do 10 or 12 hours a week, it doesnt affect my studies and I do on nights I wouldnt otherwise be out anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    Why would you want to?! Get a job, do 10, 12 hours a week and you have £60 to play with. I do 10 or 12 hours a week, it doesnt affect my studies and I do on nights I wouldnt otherwise be out anyway.
    It's not that easy getting a job

ReputationRep:
    I spend about £7 a week, if I am lucky!
    £7 a week is extremely impressive! If I spent that much I could save loads of my student loan, but sadly I dont : ( Whats that £7 consist of then?

ReputationRep:
    when i was on benifits, and actually receiving them very sporadically!
    i used to have to live off nothing, i can eat healthily and well for 7 quid a week!
    you dont have much variation but hey, its better than nothing.

sample weekly shopping list- (asda)

breakfest- smartprice bananas(you get between 7-12) for £1
    and bread, you can get value bread for around 30p but i used to get Nimble for 51p

dinner- smartprice chips aroung 50p
    mixed veg is less than £1, or you can just get peas for 32p
    quorn peices/nuggets, chicken nuggets, chicken burgers, susages you can get between four and seven serving of one of these or something simaler for £1-2

lunch- use bread above for sandwhichs, also smartprice ham used to be 32p, tomatoes are about 7p each(one makes three sandwhichs), carrots aswell about 50p for 7-10

snacks- buy smartprice high juice(16p) for ice lollys, smartprice biscuits(digestives, chocolate digestives, wafers, nice tea etc) between 14-30p. you could get more than one pack! yogurts 29p for 4

often i would spend less then £5 and buy some Richmond **** for £2, bad times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 21:13)
    It's not that easy getting a job
    Yes it is. If you have something about you getting simple student jobs is easy. Every time Ive thrown out some CVs Ive had at least 2 offers from bars/pubs. You cant wait for a job to come to you, but even in a recession if your prepared to look for one then I bet you'll find a job within 2 or 3 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    not sure exactly. depends what I get up to.

but it's gotta be around the £150 mark on average

ReputationRep:
    I'd say I spend around the £20-£25 range because I don't go out and usually I spend my money on lunch while at uni or the train to work. I don't usually do the food shopping for the house though so that's probably why.

ReputationRep:
    I spent at most £50 a week. £10-15 on food the rest on going out I think. I only spent 20p last week cos that's all I had

ReputationRep:
    Good cheap shopping list saint, except for the cigarattes bit,haha!

I know it can be hard getting a job, especially at the moment but its good advice as it gives you a bit more money to play with.

A few people are saying they spend £7/£8 a week, which is excellent work! Does this give you chance to save much?

ReputationRep:
    omigod, yeah i forgot! adsa noodles used to be 7p, now they are lyk 9p!

to be honest, being properly broke as in homeless is quite depressing so i just to used to eat sugar and bananas and spend any money i had on ****.
    if you have 1-2 **** instead of a meal it works out cheaper : )

ReputationRep:
    I used to be like that, but now I seem to spend loads on food. I must go into Tesco about 3-4 times a week and spend up to about £10 each time...

I shouldn't live so close to town. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    I can easily live on £20 a week. In fact my weekly shopping bill last week came to £17.25

I'm not frugal out of being poor though, I have a few k in the bank account. I just don't see the necessity in purchasing luxuries when alternatives are available... I'm probably just a scrooge/miser.
    :ditto:

And some people are complaining that loans and grants are too low :facepalm2:

On food, now, about £40 a week between 2 of us. Basically zero on alcohol. When I was at uni... lulz... about £60-£70 a week on food and £50 a week on alcohol. Just me alone! Hahaha. Probably more like £80 a week on alcohol in 1st year :|.

ReputationRep:
    Aww I bet that 20p went far didnt it Bobmarley,haha?

@Southernfreeryder you must be doing well for yourself if you can spend that much a week, do you have a job to support you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by radfordboy87)
    When I was in my first year at University I had a friend who used to do the cheapest of cheap weekly shops (usually less than £15) which consisted of a lot of basic range products and then hardly ever went out so on average spend about £25 a week. Obviously this figure excludes rent and tuition fees, but I used to call him stingy, but looking back spending that little is actually pretty impressive considering most people spend that on one night out.

So I thought it would be a great idea to find out everyone’s weekly spending amount, So on average how much do you spend each week, I bet no one spends less than my friend did? If you do I might just eat my hat ; )

Tom Smith - Studentspayless.com
    Blogging to help students save money
    I spend £10 a week at college less if possible. I don't go out and if I do I don't spend anything and buy the cheapest drink. I can't afford to go spending all my money on nights out. I'd be in debt if I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 21:13)
    Yes me too, but more like every 3 weeks. So maybe £2.50 a week then?
    Yea, I don't pay for all my food so I was trying to even it out. I can live on about $15 a month (£10), to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    Yea, I don't pay for all my food so I was trying to even it out. I can live on about $15 a month (£10), to be honest!
    I have to pay for all my food

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.